OT: Restaurant and Food Thread

Advertisement
Go on...

Pics? Description?
So I made huli huli sauce today for the chicken thighs to marinade in overnight.

In the food processor:
2 inch piece of ginger
3-4 cloves garlic
2 tsp ground mustard
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp sriracha
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1 cup pineapple juice

Once it's all mixed, set aside a cup for basting and let the chicken marinade in the rest at least an hour, then grill and baste.

I'm adding a little atmosphere with the food:

LENNY'S CLAM BAR - Howard Beach, Queens, NY. It's in John Gotti's old neighborhood, still. In the 80s, I saw Sammy "the Bull" Gravano two tables away a day after he was on the front page of one of the NY Papers before he turned and while he was still on the good side of the Teflon Don. The raw clams, Calamari and Scungilli are awesome and if you tell them today, "Joe sent me" - you get a free glass of wine. That started in 1969 my Rockaway family says.

LOS RANCHOS (ORIGINAL near Airport) - Miami. I was captaining a yacht at the time for the owner of Domino's Pizza/Det Tigers (again the 80s). Anastasio Somoza was the former Nicaraguan leader exiled in Paraguay. Domino's hired one of his top bodyguards as a Training Rep for the Miami office. The guy told me he should have died with Somoza in a Limo when they assassinated him in Paraguay. Somoza told him he forgot his bank book and sent him back to his office for it. He was in the office when heard the RPG explode and rifle shots that killed Somoza and the Limo driver. He made his way to Miami. His brother had left for Miami a few years earlier and opened the restaurant. They treated the boss and those of us with him, like royalty. That Churrasco Chimichurri Steak, Whole Snapper are the best I've had.

GEORGE DIAMOND STEAK HOUSE - Chicago. Had the yacht in Burnham Park Marina after the Tigers clinched in 1984. They had me there waiting for the Cubs to beat San Diego so the boss had a place to stay for the 1984 World Series. San Diego came back, but I did get to see Walter Payton break Jim Brown rushing record that day they clinched (in Cali) before heading for the Mississippi and Ft Lauderdale - wish I could have seen the **** World Series. That was an old style steak house that was incredible. All the big wigs told me to go there - **** it was nice being on an expense account, with just my girl and first mate, for over a week in that city. The Porter House, my god!

KATES TAVERN-Dodge City, Kansas. You wouldn't think Tacos would be a food that wood drastically outdistance all the other Tacos you've had, that's because you never had one of Kates with a Massive ice cold schooner of Coors. Been a hot spot for me and my college teammates anytime we return - hasn't changed in 45 years proving if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

BUBBLE ROOM-Captiva Island. Some of us foodies have discussed this place on here. Absolutely phenomenal the first five years it was open, Grouper in Parchment - Cajun Prime Rib - everything was good. We had a similar place called the CAPTAIN AND THE COWBOY in Port Charlotte - favorites of the executive team from Domino's, and the boss was picky and on the BOD of Restaurant Magazine.

@caneinorlando I want to change up what I do with the bags of mangrove snappers I've got and I've been contemplating broiling them and covering with a nice sauce... any recommendations?
Not Caneorlando but I got you covered.

Turn oven to broil. Take your oven rack and place it at the top slot. Put some foil on a cookie sheet, this is just for cleanup.

Pat dry your fish and place on foil.

Next step is to cover top and even sides of your fish with Mayo. Now dont go using any fat free ****t. Also you want to go pretty thick with the mayo, just make sure you dont see the fish.

Next portion can vary but what we use for spices is s&p, garlic powder, onion powder, season all, everglades heat and paprika. Now you could sub out season all with Cajon seasoning or adobo. You can also use any type of spice to add heat. The spice portion is something we always change up a bit.

Time varies depending on the size of fillets. If these are small fillets off 12-15 inch mangs then your looking at 8-10 min. If these are off big thick Mangs in the 20 in range add 2 min. The mayo will get golden brown. You can let it go an extra min or two to get a blackened flavor and the fish is still going to be moist. Thats what the mayo does, it keeps the fish nice and moist.

If anyone hates mayo trust me it all cooks off and theres zero taste of mayo. No one will know you used mayo unless you tell them.

For sides rice /orzo go great with this dish. Also asparagus is a great match as well.

I attached a pic of what it looks like before it goes into the oven.
3559E1AE-22F1-4A04-A020-E266BBB82AD6.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not Caneorlando but I got you covered.

Turn oven to broil. Take your oven rack and place it at the top slot. Put some foil on a cookie sheet, this is just for cleanup.

Pat dry your fish and place on foil.

Next step is to cover top and even sides of your fish with Mayo. Now dont go using any fat free ****t. Also you want to go pretty thick with the mayo, just make sure you dont see the fish.

Next portion can vary but what we use for spices is s&p, garlic powder, onion powder, season all, everglades heat and paprika. Now you could sub out season all with Cajon seasoning or adobo. You can also use any type of spice to add heat. The spice portion is something we always change up a bit.

Time varies depending on the size of fillets. If these are small fillets off 12-15 inch mangs then your looking at 8-10 min. If these are off big thick Mangs in the 20 in range add 2 min. The mayo will get golden brown. You can let it go an extra min or two to get a blackened flavor and the fish is still going to be moist. Thats what the mayo does, it keeps the fish nice and moist.

If anyone hates mayo trust me it all cooks off and theres zero taste of mayo. No one will know you used mayo unless you tell them.

For sides rice /orzo go great with this dish. Also asparagus is a great match as well.

I attached a pic of what it looks like before it goes into the oven.
Well trying to add another pic and my computer is logging off when I try and attach the pic, very weird.

Advertisement
Lets try another pic. Ok well this one worked. Well scratch that it didnt work, wtf is going on. Very odd my computer is literally logging off when I tried to attach the pic I have of the finished fish. Well this pic finally went thru. you can use this mayo recipe for trout and reds as well. Reds are usually a bit thicker so id use a bit more mayo and broil them in that 10-12 min range.
E02817D9-524E-4ED4-82A5-5F1C8AD8E5C0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm adding a little atmosphere with the food:

LENNY'S CLAM BAR - Howard Beach, Queens, NY. It's in John Gotti's old neighborhood, still. In the 80s, I saw Sammy "the Bull" Gravano two tables away a day after he was on the front page of one of the NY Papers before he turned and while he was still on the good side of the Teflon Don. The raw clams, Calamari and Scungilli are awesome and if you tell them today, "Joe sent me" - you get a free glass of wine. That started in 1969 my Rockaway family says.

LOS RANCHOS (ORIGINAL near Airport) - Miami. I was captaining a yacht at the time for the owner of Domino's Pizza/Det Tigers (again the 80s). Anastasio Somoza was the former Nicaraguan leader exiled in Paraguay. Domino's hired one of his top bodyguards as a Training Rep for the Miami office. The guy told me he should have died with Somoza in a Limo when they assassinated him in Paraguay. Somoza told him he forgot his bank book and sent him back to his office for it. He was in the office when heard the RPG explode and rifle shots that killed Somoza and the Limo driver. He made his way to Miami. His brother had left for Miami a few years earlier and opened the restaurant. They treated the boss and those of us with him, like royalty. That Churrasco Chimichurri Steak, Whole Snapper are the best I've had.

GEORGE DIAMOND STEAK HOUSE - Chicago. Had the yacht in Burnham Park Marina after the Tigers clinched in 1984. They had me there waiting for the Cubs to beat San Diego so the boss had a place to stay for the 1984 World Series. San Diego came back, but I did get to see Walter Payton break Jim Brown rushing record that day they clinched (in Cali) before heading for the Mississippi and Ft Lauderdale - wish I could have seen the **** World Series. That was an old style steak house that was incredible. All the big wigs told me to go there - **** it was nice being on an expense account, with just my girl and first mate, for over a week in that city. The Porter House, my god!

KATES TAVERN-Dodge City, Kansas. You wouldn't think Tacos would be a food that wood drastically outdistance all the other Tacos you've had, that's because you never had one of Kates with a Massive ice cold schooner of Coors. Been a hot spot for me and my college teammates anytime we return - hasn't changed in 45 years proving if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

BUBBLE ROOM-Captiva Island. Some of us foodies have discussed this place on here. Absolutely phenomenal the first five years it was open, Grouper in Parchment - Cajun Prime Rib - everything was good. We had a similar place called the CAPTAIN AND THE COWBOY in Port Charlotte - favorites of the executive team from Domino's, and the boss was picky and on the BOD of Restaurant Magazine.
Cap'n was fire. They were on one of those restaurant saving shows before they closed.

Cap'n was fire. They were on one of those restaurant saving shows before they closed.
Thats right, I ate there a couple of times after the saving show - food was OK, but really didn't understand what they were trying to do wth the atmosphere - white paint, bright glaring lights. Heck those old salt water fish tanks and the local feel fishing cowboy theme was great. My new wife was a waitress there for 15 years. The original owner who sold it to his cook I think, passed away a few years ago.

@TheOriginalCane @24/7canes ....If you haven't tried The Gastro Pub The Aardvark (on Ferncreek)...make sure to get your azzes over there....Sweet Jesus...Incredible Food and Beer selection....Pepper Jack Mac and Cheese...and the Bacon Wrapped Fried Brussel Sprouts were beyond belief...Im talking incredible....Very Ravenous Pig-ish...

Advertisement
It's getting colder out, which means it's cajun cooking season.

Red Beans & Rice

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1lb. Dried Camellia Kidney beans (any dried red kidney bean will do, but look for Camellia)
  • 2lbs. andouille/kielbasa
  • 1 diced onion
  • 1 diced bell pepper (for presentation sake red or green. Also, remember to remove all seeds from inside. Your colon will thank you later)
  • 3 diced celery stalks (optional)*
  • 1 Bay leaf
  • 1 tsp. thyme
  • 1 tbs. onion powder
  • 2 tbs. garlic powder
  • 2 tbs. Tony Chachere seasoning (Grab the creole seasoning for more spice, but any of them will do)
  • 2 cups of rice

Directions:
  • Soak beans overnight (at least 8 hours) in a large pot (at least 8 quartz, preferably cast iron).
  • Around 3pm, drain water, rinse beans thoroughly, put back into pot, then add water (1 inch above beans).
  • Chop sausage into semi-circles, then cook sausage, onion, pepper, celery* for 5 minutes in a skillet with olive oil.
  • Add cooked sausage and vegetables to pot, along with seasonings, and bring to a good boil.
  • Once the pot is boiling, reduce heat to low/medium-low and cover.
  • Let simmer for 2 hours at least.
  • About 30 minutes before finished, prepare rice in a separate pot.
  • Add 4 cups water to 2 cups rice, once boiling, reduce to low and cover for about 10 minutes.
  • *Optional* - While waiting on rice to boil, take a ladle and gently "smash" the beans, then re-cover.
  • When rice is finished, everything should be ready to serve.

While your beans are simmering, let's make some cornbread.

Cornbread

Ingredients:

1 tbs. bacon drippings (Either cook a cheap pack of bacon or if you're like me you save grease every time you cook ground beef)
2 cups cornmeal (or 1.5 cups and .5 cup flour to ensure cornbread is less "crumbly")
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tbs. sugar
2 eggs
1 ¼ cups buttermilk
6 tbs. unsalted butter, melted

Directions:
  • Preheat cast iron skillet with bacon drippings: Spread the bacon drippings/lard evenly onto cast iron skillet and place into oven. Then preheat the oven at 400 degrees.
  • Make Batter: Whisk together all the dry ingredients (cornmeal, baking soda, salt, and sugar) in a large bowl. In another bowl, beat the eggs and buttermilk until combined, then mix that into the bowl of dry ingredients. Finally, stir in the melted butter.
  • Pour batter into hot skillet and bake: When the oven is hot, take out the skillet carefully (it’s HOT)! Seriously, make sure you have a very good protective oven mitt. Add the cornbread batter and make sure it is evenly distributed in the skillet. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, the edges should be beginning to brown and a fork inserted in the center of the bread should come out clean.
  • Rest bread in skillet, then serve: Let the bread rest for 10 to 30 minutes in the skillet before cutting into wedges and serving.

Everything should be done by 7pm

0AE0AF2E-B6DF-43AF-A664-17C608AF58F4_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Jambalaya

Ingredients:
Almost identical to red beans and rice
  • ¼ cup olive oil
  • 1 pack chicken thighs (4 to 5 thighs)
  • 1 diced onion
  • 1 diced bell pepper (red or green)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tsp. thyme
  • 1 tbs. onion powder
  • 2 tbs. garlic powder
  • 2 tbs. Tony Chachere seasoning
  • 3 cups rice
  • You can cheat and buy 48 oz. of chicken broth, or you can do it the real way and make your own.

Directions:
  • At about 3:30 to 4pm, take a large pot (at least 8 quartz, preferably cast iron, if it has a glass lid you can see through even better) and pour in 6 cups of water. Make note, or even grab a ruler, to see how much 6 cups looks like. It's important for later as you need a 2:1 liquid to rice ratio.
  • Add all of your seasonings with your chicken thighs and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low/medium-low and cover for 45 minutes. A glass lid helps here as you can see if the water is still boiling without lifting lid.
  • Remove chicken and set aside.
  • Now you have a pot with your own self-made chicken broth. Grab that ruler again to make sure you still have 6 cups or if some of it evaporated, add more water if necessary.
  • Chop sausage into semi-circles and cook in skillet with olive oil for about 5-10 minutes, then add your diced onions and pepper.
  • Add cooked sausage and vegetables to pot,
  • Strip meat from the bone, place shredded chicken into the pot, and bring it to a boil. Once it starts to boil, add your 3 cups of rice.
  • Reduce heat to low/med-low and cover for 45 minutes with lid.
  • Lift lid and "turn over" rice with slotted spoon/ladle to ensure even distribution of rice to whatever, if any, liquid remains. Ready to serve when rice has absorbed all liquid.

The rice is always the trickiest thing with jambalaya because it's hard to tell how much of your broth remains after you boil the chicken, and maintaining your 2:1 liquid to rice ratio. However, this ensures your jambalaya is properly seasoned. Once you get the hang of it, you won't need a ruler, you'll just know from memory what 6 cups looks like in your pot. The rice should appear a very light brown, and ready to serve at 7pm.

547097C2-2E23-4AD8-A46B-82882D9B0984_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Jambalaya

Ingredients:
Almost identical to red beans and rice
  • ¼ cup olive oil
  • 1 pack chicken thighs (4 to 5 thighs)
  • 1 diced onion
  • 1 diced bell pepper (red or green)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tsp. thyme
  • 1 tbs. onion powder
  • 2 tbs. garlic powder
  • 2 tbs. Tony Chachere seasoning
  • 3 cups rice
  • You can cheat and buy 48 oz. of chicken broth, or you can do it the real way and make your own.

Directions:
  • At about 3:30 to 4pm, take a large pot (at least 8 quartz, preferably cast iron, if it has a glass lid you can see through even better) and pour in 6 cups of water. Make note, or even grab a ruler, to see how much 6 cups looks like. It's important for later as you need a 2:1 liquid to rice ratio.
  • Add all of your seasonings with your chicken thighs and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low/medium-low and cover for 45 minutes. A glass lid helps here as you can see if the water is still boiling without lifting lid.
  • Remove chicken and set aside.
  • Now you have a pot with your own self-made chicken broth. Grab that ruler again to make sure you still have 6 cups or if some of it evaporated, add more water if necessary.
  • Chop sausage into semi-circles and cook in skillet with olive oil for about 5-10 minutes, then add your diced onions and pepper.
  • Add cooked sausage and vegetables to pot, and bring to a boil. Once it starts to boil, add your 3 cups of rice.
  • Reduce heat to low/med-low and cover for 45 minutes with lid.
  • Lift lid and "turn over" rice with slotted spoon/ladle to ensure even distribution of rice to whatever, if any, liquid remains. Ready to serve when rice has absorbed all liquid.

The rice is always the trickiest thing with jambalaya because it's hard to tell how much of your broth remains after you boil the chicken, and maintaining your 2:1 liquid to rice ratio. However, this ensures your jambalaya is properly seasoned. Once you get the hang of it, you won't need a ruler, you'll just know from memory what 6 cups looks like in your pot. The rice should appear a very light brown, and ready to serve at 7pm.

View attachment 132542
Good Stuff

Advertisement
I like it raw more than seared. If youre going to cook quick sear is the way to go though.
100% quick sear, and when we say quick were talking 20 to MAYBE 30 SECONDS. You will see it turn whitish in color, as soon as the edges turn that white color flip it to another side. I would use the tongs for flipping steak to dip your tuna . It gives you better control and your not poking holes in the fish. Ill come back and give you a good sauce to go with it. Got to hit up my buddy and get it from him.

100% quick sear, and when we say quick were talking 20 to MAYBE 30 SECONDS. You will see it turn whitish in color, as soon as the edges turn that white color flip it to another side. I would use the tongs for flipping steak to dip your tuna . It gives you better control and your not poking holes in the fish. Ill come back and give you a good sauce to go with it. Got to hit up my buddy and get it from him.
Yup.

Advertisement
Even better....before Searing both sides...Coat the "Edges" of Tuna steak with Sesame Seads (Black&Tan).....adds a fantastic flavor....

Miami - Versailles

Steakhouse - Sparks. The S&W in Vegas has slightly better food but at Sparks if you no the right person you can still get a dirty deed done done dirt cheap.

Jax - Marker 32
So I take it your no kibble guy.

Advertisement
Back