OT: Restaurant and Food Thread

Is it hard to get around with language barriers. I want to go and just experience the city but im afraid of not being able to get by.
No it’s pretty easy to get around. If you do ever go you need to get pocket WiFi. This way you can use google maps to find locations and figure out which train or bus you need to be on. I was there for two weeks and only got lost one time. People are really friendly an you can always ask for directions.

Advertisement
Is it hard to get around with language barriers. I want to go and just experience the city but im afraid of not being able to get by.
It is tough but that is part of the fun and adventure. The trains and subways are all in English, but are tricky for different reasons (there are multiple rail companies that have different routes). However, google has an app that will translate print to English that worked pretty well. So that can translate signs, menus, etc., and then regular google translate works for conversing. There is definitely a lot of pointing and gestures, but the people are SO nice and helpful and the food is incredible. I have heard they are going to try to massively cut back on tourism in Kyoto, so I would try to go sooner rather than later.

Edit - agree that pocket WiFi is a non-negotiable for getting around. You pick them up at Tokyo’s airport and send them back from there too.

I'd love to try a genuine yakitori shop. It's amazing what they do with simple chicken.
We were going to go one... and then my wife saw some of the cuts they serve... and then saw the chicken sashimi. So we didn’t make it. But it looks incredible.

Advertisement
Traveled the world eating and drinking wine at some of the best restaurants in the world, until I started my new business that now takes up all my time. Best meal is hard to nail down though, oddest **** I’ve eaten was soft shell turtle and sea snake. Coolest meal was at the French Laundry, power was out in the area, they served dinner with only candles as a light source. We were fairly belligerent, taking weed breaks frequently and they didn’t give one fvck. Friend are at EMP and took a smoke break at the park across the street one time and these guys brought them out fresh drinks in the middle of it.

Have done some killer takeout around Atlanta lately.

Heirloom Market BBQ - Texan husband, Korean wife. Sides are half traditional (beans, mac n cheese, collards) and half Korean like banchan (kimchi, cucumber radish salad, etc). The rubs have gochujang, miso, and kimchi in them. Killer.

Masterpiece - hands down the best Szechuan food I have ever had, whether here, LA, SF, NY. They chef used to cook for the consulate, strip mall hole in the wall in the middle of nowhere Gwinnett County that was nominated for a James Beard. A delicious, fiery feast.

Mamak - Malaysian hawker foods in a restaurant. Amazing curries and stir fries.

Lan Zhou - Fresh hand pulled knife cut noodles. Excellent both in soup or stir fry.

Little Bear - Four course eclectic tasting menu for home. Always something unique and delicious. Don’t really know how to describe the menu, but it is really great stuff. https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...a9/1598803196370/Little+Bear+Menu+8.30.20.pdf

Advertisement
Joe's Deli...NYC...Chicken Cutlet w/ Prosciutto....Top 5 Sandwiches I've ever had...one of NYCs Best places for a Sandwich....(the bread alone is GOAT Worthy)
118324515_3288211464567922_2822101078494636068_n.jpg

There's simply No Words to Describe these Stuffed Red Bell Peppers...(Italian Sausage, Zucchini and Cheese)....smh...1 Bite..and it was over...
119042646_10163986366185697_1175006710807902330_n.jpg

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
No recipe?
Not to hard...Split Pepper in half...(Clean out seeds and pith)...
In a Bowl...Combine Crumbled (Cooked) Sweet Italian Sausage...Diced Zucchini (that was Sauteed in Olive Oil and Garlic)
Italian Fresh Bread Crumbs...Grated fresh Parmasan Cheese (Or Romano)...Small amount of Asiago Cheese...Salt...Pepper...Dash of Red Chile flake...1 Egg.....Mix well to combine....
Scoop out and Stuff each half....Bake at 400° for 35mins on sheet pan...

@caneinorlando I want to change up what I do with the bags of mangrove snappers I've got and I've been contemplating broiling them and covering with a nice sauce... any recommendations?

Advertisement
Back