OT: Restaurant and Food Thread

Advertisement
Atlanta people. I went to Buena Gente this morning. Cuban bakery and sandwich shop. The owners are from Hialeah and it is KILLER. They make their guava preserves in house, amazing croquetas, empanadas, papa rellenas, full sandwich menu you’d expect (Cuban, medianoche, croqueta preparada, Elena Ruiz), and full pastry case. Plus, coladas. Cant recommend highly enough.

Atlanta people. I went to Buena Gente this morning. Cuban bakery and sandwich shop. The owners are from Hialeah and it is KILLER. They make their guava preserves in house, amazing croquetas, empanadas, papa rellenas, full sandwich menu you’d expect (Cuban, medianoche, croqueta preparada, Elena Ruiz), and full pastry case. Plus, coladas. Cant recommend highly enough.

A few years ago, I was doing some work for a company with headquarters near Simpsonville, SC, and it was great to find a Cuban place nearby that had good food. I'd love to see Cuban food make some more inroads throughout the non-Florida southeast.

Do they have palimilla steak?
Only sandwiches, baked stuff, and coffee counter service. I wish they would do entree plates for take out dinner but not sure they have the space.

A few years ago, I was doing some work for a company with headquarters near Simpsonville, SC, and it was great to find a Cuban place nearby that had good food. I'd love to see Cuban food make some more inroads throughout the non-Florida southeast.
Agree! There are a couple of spots up here that do the empanada side of things with people from Miami. One is still only at farmers markets, but the guy rocks a canes shirt every week. Always stop there to get some empanadas and talk shop during the season.

There’s also a Puerto Rican spot up here called Porch Light with a guy from Miami. Huge canes and phins fan. Memorabilia all over the restaurant and giant U in front of the kitchen.

Question for all the Canes food guys around here:

What are some good restaurants near Vizcaya Museum???

I am open to most suggestions other than maybe fast food or national chain restaurants.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

I am open to most suggestions other than maybe fast food or national chain restaurants.

Thanks in advance.
Which direction? Grove? Downtown/Brickell? Also what meal?

Thanks in advance.
There's a bunch of good restaurants near there (Coconut Grove)

Which direction? Grove? Downtown/Brickell? Also what meal?
Any place that is close to the Museum. (10-15 minutes?)

Cuisine does not matter as long as it is not a National chain or fast food. I am hoping for something that is unique to South Florida.

-Looking back early on in the thread the Argentinian Steak place in Coral Gables looks good.

I am open to any suggestions from the food experts around here and would like any opinions on good places.

Cuisine does not matter as long as it is not a National chain or fast food. I am hoping for something that is unique to South Florida.

-Looking back early on in the thread the Argentinian Steak place in Coral Gables looks good.

I am open to any suggestions from the food experts around here and would like any opinions on good places.
If you want nicer, Ariete is close by in the grove.
If you want hip but casual, Chugs in the Grove is a Cuban diner.
If you want super casual, La Cameronera and Garcias are not too far away for fish and El Rey de las Fritas for a frita.

Advertisement

Coral Gables has like 3 or 4 Argentinian Steak Houses...most notably Graziano's

Okay, I am back.

In May I am going to Destin. Never been to that part of Florida.

Any recommendations for Restaurants there or Ft. Walton beach would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Okay, I am back.

In May I am going to Destin. Never been to that part of Florida.

Any recommendations for Restaurants there or Ft. Walton beach would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
I lived in Ft Walton/Destin from 88-91 93-2001...the killer spots back then are all but gone...A.J's in Destin on the Harbor, is good for Fish Sandwiches...Craw Boils...etc....not too sure about any others...Back in the day (80s & 90s) there was a plethora of Great places.....Capt. Andersons in Panama City was insane back then.

Advertisement
There's Veal Parmesan.....Then there's this thing of Beauty....Veal Chop Parmesan....Top 3 I've ever eaten in my life....and I've eaten alot of them.
img_1_1646645743463.jpg

Advertisement
I went to Destin last month and I have to say that it was much nicer than I was expecting. (I had low expectations.)

Some of the best places I went to eat in the area were :

The Louisiana Lagniappe. Good Seafood and Cajun. Kinda fancy but not too fancy or stuffy.

Stewby's Seafood Shanty. Casual little shack by Fort Walton beach. Mostly fried seafood and some chicken. Some of the best hush puppies and potato salad I have ever had.

The Donut Hole Bakery and Cafe. Great breakfast place. Long line out the door but worth it. Best corned beef hash ever. (It was more like huge brisket pieces.) Also good cake donuts, cakes and pies.

What is the best restaurant that you have ever been to?

From 5 stars to Food trucks.....

What was the actual meal you had?

Can be anywhere in the U.S. or the world. That you highly recommend if given the opportunity.

I’ll start best overall experience was tastings at Alinea when I was living in Chicago.

My favorite steakhouse (I haven’t been to many) so far is SW steakhouse in Vegas for the Japanese Wagyu.

Favorite hole in the wall joint was somewhere in “Carytown” in Richmond, VA. Can’t recall the name of the spot. It didn’t look like much walking past it. But once you got inside and ate the food was amazing.

I travel a lot and pretty much always have since the military.

Miami
Big fan of Prime 112 and RED whenever I’m in Miami. (Y’all might know some better spots) but I love those two.

Love La Carreta and Versailles as well.

Shoutout to Chef Creole that spot was straight low key.

Outside the U.S.
I went to this Japanese BBQ joint in Shibuya, Tokyo. Really wish I could remember the name. That was too fire.

Rio De Janiero
I’m down here like 4-5 times a year to see my childhood friend who retired from the NFL. Been going down there since he moved to Rio a few years ago.

The ORO restaurant in Leblon is one of my favorites.

Churrascaría Palace in Copacabana
Straight fire.

Aprazível in Santa Teresa
Dope ambiance. Dope food just a great experience overall.

Overall:
Brazil has some pretty good food. I know many of the Europeans go down there complaining. I thought it was solid.

My boy done convinced me to move to Brazil. It’s became my second home. Women are a plus. Language a little tougher than Spanish but I’ll get there.

Bangkok
Sirocco Rooftop Restaurant. This was unforgettable. Just the setup as whole. Bangkok has so many rooftop restaurants and pools but this was the best one that I remember and the service was incredible too.

That’s about it for me. My 27 years on this planet has been cool but I want to see and experience some more restaurants.

CIS what y’all got?

These are a few places that make me happy. Not saying they are the best, though some of them are. But they bring me joy and I am loyal.

https://www.hotelbalzac.com/dining/pierre-gagnaire-restaurant/

Advertisement
Back