OT: Restaurant and Food Thread

@motorcitycane - not sure if it was mentioned in here but have you ever heard the story about Cat Cora at Alinea? Was great. Made me ignore the general douchieness of the co-owners/chef.

Advertisement
Ohhhh, she's a raging see you next Tuesday but I was actually referring to the chef and the co-owner at Alinea. How they handled a tantrum she threw there once made me set aside their apparent douchieness.
She has been arrested a few times now for domestic violence, public intoxication, etc. That story is a good one. Incidentally, Alinea just came into an interesting debate of haute cuisine vs vs art or as art. They did a tromp l’oeil appetizer of a covid-19 bug. Still not sure where I fall on it.

Advertisement
She has been arrested a few times now for domestic violence, public intoxication, etc. That story is a good one. Incidentally, Alinea just came into an interesting debate of haute cuisine vs vs art or as art. They did a tromp l’oeil appetizer of a covid-19 bug. Still not sure where I fall on it.

I know what you mean. When I was younger and Alinea first came on the scene I thought it was the best around. It was one of those places that pioneered the whole “molecular gastronomy“ cuisine here in the states. After having been there a few times along with similar restaurants over the years, the sci-fi food thing in general thing has gotten a little tired. Alinea’s food is good for sure, but I can’t help rolling my eyes at the whole pomp and circumstance when they set each course on the table while listening to their dissertation on why they freeze dried my steak.

Alinea is catching heat with their COVID dish. https://chicago.eater.com/2020/7/10/21318452/alineas-coronavirus-inspired-bite-labeled-as-tone-deaf

I know what you mean. When I was younger and Alinea first came on the scene I thought it was the best around. It was one of those places that pioneered the whole “molecular gastronomy“ thing here in the states. After having been there a few times along with similar restaurants over the years, the whole sci-fi food thing in general thing has gotten a little tired. Alinea’s food is good for sure, but I can’t help rolling my eyes at the whole pomp and circumstance when they set each course on the table while listening to their dissertation on why they freeze dried my steak.

Alinea is catching heat with their COVID dish. https://chicago.eater.com/2020/7/10/21318452/alineas-coronavirus-inspired-bite-labeled-as-tone-deaf
If there is one food related thing that comes out of this, I pray it is the end of the “We are a small plates concept. Chef prepares and sends out your food as it’s ready. Chef recommends about 3-4 dishes per person served family style. Here are three meatballs for your table of four to share.”

And agree... Alinea and similar places fall on the “can” vs “should” for food. Tweezer food was fun for a bit. Now I just want some braised meat over polenta or something like that.

If there is one food related thing that comes out of this, I pray it is the end of the “We are a small plates concept. Chef prepares and sends out your food as it’s ready. Chef recommends about 3-4 dishes per person served family style. Here are three meatballs for your table of four to share.”

And agree... Alinea and similar places fall on the “can” vs “should” for food. Tweezer food was fun for a bit. Now I just want some braised meat over polenta or something like that.
Agreed. Francis Mallmaan says hello.

Advertisement
Agreed. Francis Mallmaan says hello.
He has a place in the middle of a vineyard in Colchagua Valley, Chile (Montes winery). We did a tasting and then got lunch there. It was amazing. Every dish had some form of fire cooked element to it. Amazing wine pairings. One of the coolest tables I have ever sat at and that massive fire pit was the kitchen.

Attachments

• 8C5CECA0-3677-41F4-BD6B-14B09FD4BC54.jpeg
    8C5CECA0-3677-41F4-BD6B-14B09FD4BC54.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • F83D96AD-37BE-4254-ACE9-FB8E67F53F13.jpeg
    F83D96AD-37BE-4254-ACE9-FB8E67F53F13.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 5E73F521-3FA9-4B24-9870-F656200BA35F.jpeg
    5E73F521-3FA9-4B24-9870-F656200BA35F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
He has a place in the middle of a vineyard in Colchagua Valley, Chile (Montes winery). We did a tasting and then got lunch there. It was amazing. Every dish had some form of fire cooked element to it. Amazing wine pairings. One of the coolest tables I have ever sat at and that massive fire pit was the kitchen.
You’re lucky. He’s got a place in the Faena hotel on south beach but it’s nothing like that. I was suppose to head to Chile (Patagonia) at the end of the year for the eclipse and was planning on eating at one of his places but that’s probably not happening anymore.

Ohhhh, she's a raging see you next Tuesday but I was actually referring to the chef and the co-owner at Alinea. How they handled a tantrum she threw there once made me set aside their apparent douchieness.

You can’t just put that out there without telling the story, or linking it.

I’ve always meant to try to set something up at Alinea because of the 3 stars and all that, and because I like to burn thousand dollar notes, at the same time I’ve never been much into that tweezer food served with sublimating nitrogen thing.

You’re lucky. He’s got a place in the Faena hotel on south beach but it’s nothing like that. I was suppose to head to Chile (Patagonia) at the end of the year for the eclipse and was planning on eating at one of his places but that’s probably not happening anymore.
If and when you take that trip, let me know. Also, if you can work it in, the Atacama Desert absolutely blew us away.

Advertisement

I’ve always meant to try to set something up at Alinea because of the 3 stars and all that, and because I like to burn thousand dollar notes, at the same time I’ve never been much into that tweezer food served with sublimating nitrogen thing.
Stupidest F-ing Culinary thing Ever...Jesus H Christ...a complete embarrassment to the trade...and a complete waste of $$...

I had some business to tend to up in the Villages last week and stumbled upon a tiny southern food joint that was out of this world. Of all places, in Wildwood. Yup. That sleepy lil town where the Turnpike ends and begins. The place had arguably some of the best fried chicken I've ever had and I've had it all over and hands down, the best fried green tomatoes ever. Oh and the server chick was a complete smoke show. Go figure. If you're ever in the area. Do yourself a favor and hit it up. You won't be sorry.

Go Canes!!!!

Come on, man...yes, there are a ton of franchise places due to the tourism industry. But there are a TON of smaller places everywhere, staffed by people who learned how to cook and learned how to wait tables in the Orlando service industry.

I have a friend who I went to high school with, he retired from the Navy, he is constantly posting things on Facebook about diners he's hitting for breakfast. Maybe not downtown, but definitely places in the surrounding towns.

Go to OrlandoWeekly and start researching. There is also a Facebook group for Orlando foodies, and people swap info constantly.

If you are talking about southern-style places, try:

Coop (Winter Park)
Briarpatch (Park Ave, Winter Park)
The Southern Deli (436 and Wekiva-Piedmont, on the way to Apopka)
SoCo (Thornton Park)
Nikki's Place (Parramore)
Se7en Bites (Milk District)
Tibby's (Winter Park and Altamonte Springs locations, New Orleans food)
Ravenous Pig (Winter Park)
Git-N-Messy BBQ (in a Citgo gas station off of Aloma and Howell Branch)
Dixie Belle's Cafe (Belle Isle)
Brick & Spoon (Maitland)
Cook's (Deland)

and, per my HS friend:

Osteen Diner (Osteen)
Gram's Kitchen (Orange City)

If you need more ideas, PM me.

Oh, and hit up some places out in Plant City.

Bruh said Osteen diner! Your friend pulling your chain lol

Last edited:
Advertisement

Here are good run downs of it with no paywall:

Pretty much, she showed up a day late for her reservation, refused a later time that was offered, and when the FOH team told her they could not accommodate her, she went mental, flipped off the reception team, complained that Achatz didn't come out from the kitchen to fix the problem, and then took it to social media to complain. Konokos responded in kind.

Also, if COVID keeps us inside as long as I think it will, my next TV binge is going to be old school Iron Chef Japan.

100%. Cazolas was a borderline necessity after. But him, Douglas Rodriguez, Allen Susser, Cindy Hutson, Mark Millitello... they were the first ones to bring ceviches, or mango salsas on fish, etc. to that fine dining setting. I remember even in law school going to Ortanique on the Mile for lunch and it feeling current even in 2008.
Just heard that the owner of Ortanique’s is closing permanently. Between the Miracle Mile construction & Covid, they cant make it. There will be a lot more restaurant closings.

Advertisement
Back