OT: Restaurant and Food Thread

Advertisement
Keep your hands off my Miami Best....View attachment 120382

I still carry a (culinary) torch for D'Pizza of UM (R.I.P.), which was better than Miami's Beast. When I started at UM, Miami's Beast was still (technically) a Little Caesars, though they had changed all the ingredients and recipes. A few years later, they finally changed the name.

I think you're right, the demo didn't happen until later, but I'm fairly certain they had removed the name "Bakery Center" and closed all of the businesses inside. It got the name because that was the old Holsum Bakery plant before it became a shopping center. The CEO of Holsum was a UM alum and an alum of my fraternity, we used to have events over at his house in Gables Estates.

Back in the 80s, there was a very Miami-Vice-ish/Scarface-ish club up on the top floor, it had a lot of...mirrored surfaces. I only went a couple of times before it went out of business (probably funneled all the profits into coke).

yea I think you’re right — bakery center was closed other than the movie theater by then

yea I think you’re right — bakery center was closed other than the movie theater by then

Yeah, yeah, it's all coming back to me now. In '96, I was actually leaving KooKooRoo, took Sunset to US 1 and made a right turn to go back to campus, then I got pulled over for an expired tag, and I drove into a little driveway where the abandoned Bakery Center parking garage was. Good times.

Advertisement
Yes sir we had a good night. Yeah I remember him giving you his business card. Him and his wife are some of the nicest people ive ever met.

Yeah, I think it was the guy from Tampa, Bill. Can't remember his log-in name right now.

when my family moved to Miami in 1995 I remember my dad took my mom to Norman’s in the gables for dinner. They said it was the most amazing meal they had ever had — intricate, delicate, innovative — but as they left the restaurant my dad turned to my mom and said:

“you still hungry?”

“STARVING”

And they rounded out the night by getting cheesesteaks at Miami Subs lol
100%. Cazolas was a borderline necessity after. But him, Douglas Rodriguez, Allen Susser, Cindy Hutson, Mark Millitello... they were the first ones to bring ceviches, or mango salsas on fish, etc. to that fine dining setting. I remember even in law school going to Ortanique on the Mile for lunch and it feeling current even in 2008.

100%. Cazolas was a borderline necessity after. But him, Douglas Rodriguez, Allen Susser, Cindy Hutson, Mark Millitello... they were the first ones to bring ceviches, or mango salsas on fish, etc. to that fine dining setting. I remember even in law school going to Ortanique on the Mile for lunch and it feeling current even in 2008.

Michelle Bernstein was a good SoFla chef too. Not sure if she worked with those folks.

Michelle Bernstein was a good SoFla chef too. Not sure if she worked with those folks.
EXCELLENT chef. Michys was that second wave that pushed Miami to where it is now. Her and Michael Schwartz were the first in the recent generation to be chefs who lived in Miami and worked in their kitchens, as opposed to the Vegas style drop a name on the building and collect checks.

She really also pushed Miami forward with ****tails at Sra Martinez, and the two of them really made the Design District what it is today (for better or worse).

Advertisement
EXCELLENT chef. Michys was that second wave that pushed Miami to where it is now. Her and Michael Schwartz were the first in the recent generation to be chefs who lived in Miami and worked in their kitchens, as opposed to the Vegas style drop a name on the building and collect checks.

She really also pushed Miami forward with ****tails at Sra Martinez, and the two of them really made the Design District what it is today (for better or worse).

Yes, and I think she recently closed/changed Michy's.

Yes, and I think she recently closed/changed Michy's.
She did. It is crazy how she really saw that Biscayne Corridor as the next food neighborhood so long ago. I thought I saw she was doing her fried chicken meals to go during covid, but could be mistaken.

I think you're right, the demo didn't happen until later, but I'm fairly certain they had removed the name "Bakery Center" and closed all of the businesses inside. It got the name because that was the old Holsum Bakery plant before it became a shopping center. The CEO of Holsum was a UM alum and an alum of my fraternity, we used to have events over at his house in Gables Estates.

Back in the 80s, there was a very Miami-Vice-ish/Scarface-ish club up on the top floor, it had a lot of...mirrored surfaces. I only went a couple of times before it went out of business (probably funneled all the profits into coke).
When I was a student (90-94) I had to drive past the Holsum bakery on my way home around 11 or so. The smell of baking bread was pure torture at that hour when I was hungry and had a 90 minute drive ahead of me.

When I was a student (90-94) I had to drive past the Holsum bakery on my way home around 11 or so. The smell of baking bread was pure torture at that hour when I was hungry and had a 90 minute drive ahead of me.

Yeah, for a long time Orlando had a Merita bakery building right next to I-4, just south of downtown Orlando. Used to love that smell!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Take out?

Whats good there?

For now they're offering takeout and eating in the patio/garden area outside. Indoor eating is closed due to Covid. We had the family supper. For $55 it feeds 4 but we got full and took some leftovers home. The platter comes with an appetizer (we had smoked fish dip), 8 pcs chicken (Fried Yardbird and/or Rooster Royale), mac & cheese, baked beans and collard greens. Dessert is also included and we had the coffee crumble sundae cup. I was with my parents and they're very particular when eating out and they absolutely loved it. Service is great. They're employees are very attentive and really go above & beyond to make sure you're good. I was very impressed and am looking to return soon. On a side note, the crispy bird dog is also very good.

Last edited:
For now they're offering takeout and eating in the patio/garden area outside. Indoor eating is closed due to Covid. We had the family supper. For $55 it feeds 4 but we got full and took some leftovers home. The platter comes with an appetizer (we had smoked fish dip), 8 pcs chicken (Fried Yardbird and/or Rooster Royale), mac & cheese, baked beans and collard greens. Desert is also included and we had the coffee crumble sundae cup. I was with my parents and they're very particular when eating out and they absolutely loved it. Service is great. They're employees are very attentive and really go above & beyond to make sure you're good. I was very impressed and am looking to return soon. On a side note, the crispy bird dog is also very good.

That sounds really good and reasonably priced for what you get. Actually the fried yardbird is making my mouth water.

I had some fried catfish about a week ago that I’m still thinking about. It wasn’t local here, but oh my lord was it good, it really surprised me the way they fixed it.

Advertisement
Back