OT: Restaurant and Food Thread

all this sushi talk, I’ll give some love to Sakura on US1 across from Taco Rico. The Moose Roll and the Leggo My Eggo Roll are amazing!

And shoutout to Taco Rico.
Yu-Mi sushi in North Palm is my go to for sushi. Nowhere else I've been comes close.

Advertisement
Those Nachos we saw that guy eating night before the Gator UM game looked Righteous...as far as Fries...I dare you to find better Fries than at Hot Dog Heaven on E. Colonial....Insanely Good...and so are his Dogs (All from Vienna Beef) owner is from Chicago and his food is Spot on...

Oh, I'll never say a bad word about Hot Dog Heaven. I loved it back in the day when they did radio commercials with a guy imitating Shaq's voice.

Yeah, to be honest with you, I had skipped out on Beth's for a while. Last weekend in Lake Mary was probably my first Beth's burger in several years. I still love Beth's fries, they are on point.

I agree with you on Ace, I loved that place from when we scouted it for the Alumni Association event.

PS, I'm still a fan of Graffiti Junktion, they've got a Juicy Lucy that I kill for!
My home is 4 blks from Graffitti Junction in Thornton Park...GF Loves the Zucchini Fries...but everytime I go....I end up getting into it with either FSU ******..or Gaytor ******...

Last edited:
I am sure this will be met with a very level headed discussion, but I am going to have to disagree on the father of culinary innovation in Florida. That was and is Norman Van Aken, and by extension the Mango Gang. They were really the first group to take the natural bounty of Florida and the Latin flair and show it through a progressive, fine dining lens.

when my family moved to Miami in 1995 I remember my dad took my mom to Norman’s in the gables for dinner. They said it was the most amazing meal they had ever had — intricate, delicate, innovative — but as they left the restaurant my dad turned to my mom and said:

“you still hungry?”

“STARVING”

And they rounded out the night by getting cheesesteaks at Miami Subs lol

Advertisement
when my family moved to Miami in 1995 I remember my dad took my mom to Norman’s in the gables for dinner. They said it was the most amazing meal they had ever had — intricate, delicate, innovative — but as they left the restaurant my dad turned to my mom and said:

“you still hungry?”

“STARVING”

Sounds pretty accurate.

Although they should have headed to Big Cheese.

Oh, I'll never say a bad word about Hot Dog Heaven. I loved it back in the day when they did radio commercials with a guy imitating Shaq's voice.
Back 8 yrs ago I was talking to the owner, and he went on and on about Devin Hester (Huge Chicago Sports Fan as his Memorabilia will attest)...little did he know I was friends with Devin....so a few months later I brought Devin to the place and Literally Shut the place down...Lol...Took Pics with Devin....

Advertisement

“you still hungry?”

“STARVING”

Norman is no joke....Total Bad *** Chef...

lol . Yes at his moms dam cookies. The jazzy tuna, Jazzy salmon rolls were my creation. Ben the old sushi chef let me create a roll when he owned his Sushi place Down Town, When he started at Lolas I had them make it for Aaron and every one loved it so it made the menu.

Henry is awesome people. Didn't know about the nomination. What do you get when you go there. Ill go back and try it and see how it is.
They do a dish where they take toro tartare, form it into a small ball, wrapped in thinly sliced avocado and roll it in puffed rice; drizzle it with yuzu and serve it in a chilled bowl. I think that one is on the menu. Typically don't order off the menu though.

We usually just tell him to bring whatever the freshest stuff he has in. Some of the dishes he brings to the table I assume are on the menu, some of the stuff are new dishes he is working on in the kitchen. Admittedly this is not the most economical way to do things but it is nice to sit down and start drinking without having to go over the menu and figure out how much food to order. The food just shows up at the table every 5-10 minutes. When we get full we let him know and the food stops coming. Almost all of it is great so there are very few duds. By the time the check comes we are too blitz to really care anyways. Then again, the bill is reasonable compared to the quality of food served.

back in those days they should have hit up Subrageous across from Bakery Center!

Wait, now you're confusing me, by 1995 the Bakery Center was long gone.

I liked Miami Heroes (near BK and D'Pizza), Chicken Kitchen, and...what was it...Beverly Hills Cafe (on Sunset)? And what was that diner on Sunset, I think it became a KooKooRoo or some such?

Oh, and I guess that I should have said that if they were leaving Norman's, they should have gone to Casola's, open late, and a shorter drive.

They do a dish where they take toro tartare, form it into a small ball, wrapped in thinly sliced avocado and roll it in puffed rice; drizzle it with yuzu and serve it in a chilled bowl. I think that one is on the menu. Typically don't order off the menu though.

We usually just tell him to bring whatever the freshest stuff he has in. Some of the dishes he brings to the table I assume are on the menu, some of the stuff are new dishes he is working on in the kitchen. Admittedly this is not the most economical way to do things but it is nice to sit down and start drinking without having to go over the menu and figure out how much food to order. The food just shows up at the table every 5-10 minutes. When we get full we let him know and the food stops coming. Almost all of it is great so there are very few duds. By the time the check comes we are too blitz to really care anyways. Then again, the bill is reasonable compared to the quality of food served.
My friends do that over at Arigato. Its off 436 and just before aloma I believe . Its located in an old Pizza Hut. The Nigiri is monstrous, like cut in half big.

Advertisement
Wait, now you're confusing me, by 1995 the Bakery Center was long gone.

I liked Miami Heroes (near BK and D'Pizza), Chicken Kitchen, and...what was it...Beverly Hills Cafe (on Sunset)? And what was that diner on Sunset, I think it became a KooKooRoo or some such?

Oh, and I guess that I should have said that if they were leaving Norman's, they should have gone to Casola's, open late, and a shorter drive.

bakery center didn’t get knocked down till 96-97 to make way for Sunset Place. And the building across the street with Subrageous and Earthtones was around till like 2003 before they knocked it down to make way for the Whole Foods.

cant remember the name of the diner before it became Koo Koo Roo but I saw Butch Da Gawd at Koo Koo Roo once!

bakery center didn’t get knocked down till 96-97 to make way for Sunset Place. And the building across the street with Subrageous and Earthtones was around till like 2003 before they knocked it down to make way for the Whole Foods.

cant remember the name of the diner before it became Koo Koo Roo but I saw Butch Da Gawd at Koo Koo Roo once!
Butch Loved that place...

I think you're right, the demo didn't happen until later, but I'm fairly certain they had removed the name "Bakery Center" and closed all of the businesses inside. It got the name because that was the old Holsum Bakery plant before it became a shopping center. The CEO of Holsum was a UM alum and an alum of my fraternity, we used to have events over at his house in Gables Estates.

Back in the 80s, there was a very Miami-Vice-ish/Scarface-ish club up on the top floor, it had a lot of...mirrored surfaces. I only went a couple of times before it went out of business (probably funneled all the profits into coke).

Advertisement
Come on, man...yes, there are a ton of franchise places due to the tourism industry. But there are a TON of smaller places everywhere, staffed by people who learned how to cook and learned how to wait tables in the Orlando service industry.

I have a friend who I went to high school with, he retired from the Navy, he is constantly posting things on Facebook about diners he's hitting for breakfast. Maybe not downtown, but definitely places in the surrounding towns.

Go to OrlandoWeekly and start researching. There is also a Facebook group for Orlando foodies, and people swap info constantly.

If you are talking about southern-style places, try:

Coop (Winter Park)
Briarpatch (Park Ave, Winter Park)
The Southern Deli (436 and Wekiva-Piedmont, on the way to Apopka)
SoCo (Thornton Park)
Nikki's Place (Parramore)
Se7en Bites (Milk District)
Tibby's (Winter Park and Altamonte Springs locations, New Orleans food)
Ravenous Pig (Winter Park)
Git-N-Messy BBQ (in a Citgo gas station off of Aloma and Howell Branch)
Dixie Belle's Cafe (Belle Isle)
Brick & Spoon (Maitland)
Cook's (Deland)

and, per my HS friend:

Osteen Diner (Osteen)
Gram's Kitchen (Orange City)

If you need more ideas, PM me.

Oh, and hit up some places out in Plant City.
K me you and M5canes I think was his nick name on rivals and we had dinner at season 52 in altamonte in like 08. It wasn't M5canes thats the chiropractor. Damit forgot his name now as well. real nice guy. My buddy was the Gm and now hes in Chicago working in there development and new franchise dept.

Keep your hands off my Miami Best....
84999512_645383229609429_5945765726001299456_o.jpg

K me you and M5canes I think was his nick name on rivals and we had dinner at season 52 in altamonte in like 08. It wasn't M5canes thats the chiropractor. Damit forgot his name now as well. real nice guy. My buddy was the Gm and now hes in Chicago working in there development and new franchise dept.

Is this J.S.? Of course I remember that night Seasons 52, a few months ago I was going through some of my stuff and I found that GM's business card!

Advertisement
Back