OT : NBA no longer uses the word owner ; uses governor instead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Progressive NBA letting the inmates run the show.

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver now says that the league has “moved away” from using the term “owner,” because he is “sensitive” to the racial connotations some apply to the word.
Early in June, some voices started calling for an end to the use of the term for owners of NBA teams because some claim to be uncomfortable using the term due to America’s history of slavery.

Several teams already started employing different terms to call team owners to avoid the “racially insensitive” term of “owner,” Breitbart reported on June 3.

Several days later, activist actor and rapper Common picked up on the controversy and proclaimed “Nobody owns us.”

Now the NBA’s commissioner is speaking out in agreement on the matter.

“I don’t want to overreact to the term because, as I said earlier, people end up twisting themselves into knots avoiding the use of the word owner,” Silver told TMZ. “But we moved away from that term years ago in the league.”

“We call our team owners ‘Governor of the team’ and ‘alternate Governor,'” Silver added. “I’m sensitive to it, and I think to the extent teams are moving away from the term, we’ll stick with using Governor.”

Silver admitted that some players have spoken up inside the league and said that the term “owner” is not a problem for them. He even noted that when Michael Jordan was able to call himself an owner, it was “the greatest thing that ever happened.”

Still, Silver concluded saying, “But, of course, Draymond Green has been very public about the fact that we should be moving away from the term … and I completely respect that.”

Silver was referring to a segment of LeBron James’ talk show, The Shop, where Warriors forward Draymond Green bristled at the term late last year.

“You shouldn’t say owner,” Green said at the time. Green added that owners should be called CEOs or majority shareholder, or some other term because it was insensitive to say a white man owns the labor of black men.

Since then at least two teams, the Philadelphia 76ers and the L.A. Clippers, have decided to dump the term
this guy is going to ruin the NBA. hes all about the white guilt crap. watch how bad doing away with one and done destroys nba.

These players are listed under multimillion dollar/year contracts with a lot of clauses and stipulations on what they can and cannot do. Many have clauses about motorcycles and other high risk activities that can’t be done. So in a sense the players are owned by the Govna.

That is actually incorrect; u never truly own your home. If u don’t pay ur taxes, the city will put a tax lien on ur home, and if u don’t pay the tax lien in the appropriate amount of time, then you will be evicted and that bad boy will be up for auction.

Even if do pay ur taxes, if the city/county decides to build a transport system and ur house is in its way, there’s something called eminent domain. So in actuality, ur home ownership is a partnership w the government, in a sense.

You absolutely own the the home at least when you pay off the mortgage. Other conditions like paying taxes/ eminent domain provide rules that allow ownership to be taken from you and transfer ownership to someone else ie the govment in those cases. Its in your name. There is still private ownership still at least for now. But these are just standard agreements that we have to allow a society to function smoothly.

This is all semantics though anyway. "Hey everyone owns everything nobody really owns anything !" Essentially what your argueing towards pinko

Lebron making more money off the court than on..craziest part..and as a man I don’t think you’d go for that level of disrespect
There's only one way to find out. I take Paypal or Vennmo.

Advertisement
You absolutely own the the home at least when you pay off the mortgage. Other conditions like paying taxes/ eminent domain provide rules that allow ownership to be taken from you and transfer ownership to someone else ie the govment in those cases. Its in your name. There is still private ownership still at least for now. But these are just standard agreements that we have to allow a society to function smoothly.

This is all semantics though anyway. "Hey everyone owns everything nobody really owns anything !" Essentially what your argueing towards pinko
Yes you own the home, but you may never actually own the land it sits on.

These players are listed under multimillion dollar/year contracts with a lot of clauses and stipulations on what they can and cannot do. Many have clauses about motorcycles and other high risk activities that can’t be done. So in a sense the players are owned by the Govna.

Let me preface this by saying idk if you are for or against the point you are making, I have never understood this. If these players don't wanna abide by what's in the contract, then don't sign it. And before someone says that's dumb or whatever else, remember that they don't have to play in the NBA. Doing or not doing things you don't agree with is part of life. Everybody is required to pay taxes, etc. They can deal with what they are allowed and not allowed to do for that compensation, when 99.9% of everybody else does for significantly less.

Advertisement
Dumbest ish ever.

If I paid for my car, I would be considered the owner of the car.
If I paid for my house, I would be considered the owner of the house.
If I paid for a restaurant, I would be considered the owner of that restaurant.
If I paid for said restaurant, then decided to employ others, I would be considered the employer and owner
If I paid for a franchise, I would be considered the owner of the franchise.

WHO IN THEIR ******** RIGHT MIND WOULD ASSOCIATE THE GUY WHO PURCHASED A FRANCHISE A SLAVE MASTER FOR CALLING HIM THE OWNER???

If we're going to be "conscious" in today's society, can we tackle real social issues and not this b.s?

Exactly!
They own the franchise not the employees.
The players and anyone that works for the Franchise are just employees. No ownership of people is implied. That should be obvious and no further explanation needed.
If I own a McDonald's franchise....I'm the owner of that franchise....when someone calls me the owener of that franchise it's not implied I own the guy flipping the burgers. He is just my employee.
Also calling the owner of a franchise "CEO" or "Head of the board" or "governor" is ridiculous....on the simple fact that he is not ANY of those things.

The parameters of those contracts are collectively bargained by the players union with the league.
And the terms of those contracts are negotiated with the teams by the agent representing the player.
If a player doesn't agree with the language in a contract he should get a better agent and get involved in his union when they collectively bargain the terms of the CBA.

They don’t like the term “owner”, fine. But settling on the term “governor” is just plain stupid. There are some many legal terms that they could have used instead like “proprietor” that would have made so much more sense.

Advertisement
Great another thread telling black people how they should feel and properly react to their experiences. Audacious Paternalism all over the site today.
I don't care if you're black, brown, white, or purple. If you get offended that a person who purchases a sports team is referred to as the owner of said team, you are an idiot. Fact.

That is actually incorrect; u never truly own your home. If u don’t pay ur taxes, the city will put a tax lien on ur home, and if u don’t pay the tax lien in the appropriate amount of time, then you will be evicted and that bad boy will be up for auction.

Even if do pay ur taxes, if the city/county decides to build a transport system and ur house is in its way, there’s something called eminent domain. So in actuality, ur home ownership is a partnership w the government, in a sense.

Eeeehhhhhh.....Relly i agree with you 99% of the time.

This might be the 1% where we have a different take.

Once a mortgage is paid off, the home owner enjoys (or suffers) full ownership of that asset. As a member of our society, the "fees" to enjoy the club are taxes, etc. If a members fails to pay, the government can (and will) exercise its authority to take action and compell liquidation of the debt owed--property, cash, etc. It isnt that the homeowner doesnt own the asset(s), its just the government attaches obligations to it.

With eminent domain (i went through it...AWFUL process) the government executes its authority of "a taking" for the public good. That is obviously debatable depending on whose "good" is benefiting for sure. "Market" compensation is provided to offset the loss.

From a perspective however, governments wield great authorities over the citizenry, and the argument could be made they [government] allow you the illusion of ownership until they decide differently.

Down with the man.

Advertisement
Virtue signaling has taken over the planet . Corporate liberalism at its best.

..... Adam lizardman Silver .. "look at me, I 'm so understanding and sensitive "..

IRS: You failed to pay capital gains tax on the billion you made selling your basketball team.
Governor: Nope, I was never the owner, just ask the NBA.

NBA has ******* sucked the past 8 years or so I’m glad the warriors got smoked.

Political views aside the nba does a terrible job keeping political views out of It. When you give idiots like draymond green a platform this is what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back