OT : NBA no longer uses the word owner ; uses governor instead

Status
Not open for further replies.
They don’t like the term “owner”, fine. But settling on the term “governor” is just plain stupid. There are some many legal terms that they could have used instead like “proprietor” that would have made so much more sense.

Draymond doesn’t care about the word “owner” he just wants attention. The guy literally has “Owner of Performance Inspired Nutrition” in his Twitter bio. The quicker people realize all the PC bull in the world is fake outrage, the better we will all be

Advertisement
haven't been keeping up with the times have we?

"reported yesterday TNT is seeing a daunting 22 percent declined and ESPN is down at five percent."

The New York Knicks (down 38 percent on MSG) and Chicago Bulls (down 24 percent on NBC Sports Chicago) had two of the four biggest local TV ratings decreases this season. The Bulls’ 1.36 rating is the team’s lowest in 13 years.

the biggest ratings decline came in Cleveland where the departure of LeBron James from the Cavaliers caused Fox Sports Ohio ratings to drop 58 percent

imagine having a business and losing 58% in ONE year
Adam silver is trash he allowed the nba to become a one team league m.

Eeeehhhhhh.....Relly i agree with you 99% of the time.

This might be the 1% where we have a different take.

Once a mortgage is paid off, the home owner enjoys (or suffers) full ownership of that asset. As a member of our society, the "fees" to enjoy the club are taxes, etc. If a members fails to pay, the government can (and will) exercise its authority to take action and compell liquidation of the debt owed--property, cash, etc. It isnt that the homeowner doesnt own the asset(s), its just the government attaches obligations to it.

With eminent domain (i went through it...AWFUL process) the government executes its authority of "a taking" for the public good. That is obviously debatable depending on whose "good" is benefiting for sure. "Market" compensation is provided to offset the loss.

From a perspective however, governments wield great authorities over the citizenry, and the argument could be made they [government] allow you the illusion of ownership until they decide differently.

Down with the man.

I agree w u 1000%. Honestly, since I was in mortgage, we used to tell ppl u own ur home, but not the land so we would try to make sure that all loans had impounds to ensure Uncle Sam was being paid b/c we saw far too often, ppl lose their homes due to taxes not being paid on the land it sits on.

My man, I was being overtly extreme in my response to you. Of course we’re home owners once we purchase a home and especially when the mortgage was paid off. I used ur example as a home owner to indirectly respond to the notion that NBA owners aren’t owners, but partners.

P.S Sorry about ur experience w Eminent Domain; one of my best friends experienced it when LA built the “convenient” connector freeway , The105. They got pennies on what the true of value of the house. Sucked for him & his family.

It is the NBA who cares. They whine about playing 48 minutes of ball a day. Tough job. LMAO Way overpaid.

Advertisement
I agree w u 1000%. Honestly, since I was in mortgage, we used to tell ppl u own ur home, but not the land so we would try to make sure that all loans had impounds to ensure Uncle Sam was being paid b/c we saw far too often, ppl lose their homes due to taxes not being paid on the land it sits on.

My man, I was being overtly extreme in my response to you. Of course we’re home owners once we purchase a home and especially when the mortgage was paid off. I used ur example as a home owner to indirectly respond to the notion that NBA owners aren’t owners, but partners.

P.S Sorry about ur experience w Eminent Domain; one of my best friends experienced it when LA built the “convenient” connector freeway , The105. They got pennies on what the true of value of the house. Sucked for him & his family.

10 yr battle ultimately resolved in FL Supreme Court...my family won....but just awful experience...

The process is different now, but likely not that much better.

If memory serves, SCOTUS just ruled on eminent domain giving a few more.advantages to the jomeowner vs govt

Down with the man!

10 yr battle ultimately resolved in FL Supreme Court...my family won....but just awful experience...

The process is different now, but likely not that much better.

If memory serves, SCOTUS just ruled on eminent domain giving a few more.advantages to the jomeowner vs govt

Down with the man!

Yikes bro. I’m glad ur family came out on top, but the experience u had to deal w...unbelievable. Like u said, down w the man

Advertisement
Im the proud governor of a new golf bag. I wouldn't want to hurt its feelings by saying i own it.

Anyone with half a brain realizes the owners dont own the players. Thats why they sign contracts. They are employed by the owners. They own the franchise. Simple concept really.

That is actually incorrect; u never truly own your home. If u don’t pay ur taxes, the city will put a tax lien on ur home, and if u don’t pay the tax lien in the appropriate amount of time, then you will be evicted and that bad boy will be up for auction.

Even if do pay ur taxes, if the city/county decides to build a transport system and ur house is in its way, there’s something called eminent domain. So in actuality, ur home ownership is a partnership w the government, in a sense.
I agree but I wanted to add that they have to give you "just" compensation.

Ha just saw the convo you and Emprical Cane had.

Draymond doesn’t care about the word “owner” he just wants attention. The guy literally has “Owner of Performance Inspired Nutrition” in his Twitter bio. The quicker people realize all the PC bull in the world is fake outrage, the better we will all be

But but but my feelings.

As elaborate and true your examples have been, nothing you listed can be argued against ...still, your missing point. The NBA especially this new regime views its player not as commodity but as partners. They understand that these guys are the cash cows and collectively have more power then ever before. Look at the top players in the league. If a owner came out and said something crazy about lebron or Steph or any of the top guys there would be soo much pressure on that owner step down.

Men like Donald sterling for instance, and he’s not the only one, have indeed thought of its players in a “I have ownership of you” or I’m the reason you live the lifestyle you do view. Which for any grown man who worked hard for where he made it from and too is demeaning. Men like that buy an organization. But they don’t really own it. They are in a partnership role with the league and it’s players. In fact the de facto “owner” if you want to simplify it to that simple term is indeed the commissioner who is appointed by the men who reside over the teams. It’s like if A common citizen says I own America( white nationalist think along these terms) because I pay taxes and I vote on the commander and chief and if I wanted to I can have him removed. But ofc sane ppl know that they don’t own the presidential position.

Just like you heAr so many say it’s a privilege not a right to play in a professional league, it’s also not a right to be in partnership with the nba.
The part I bolded mostly resembles the role of “ownership”in sports. Yes as a person who bought a restaurant and decides to employ workers they are indeed a employer. But I’m sure you wouldn’t say the employer owns the employees. It’s only in professional sports this seems to get mixed up.

**** I rambled a lot lol. I’ll sum it up to this: why does anybody have a problem with this change by the nba. They rightfully view their players not as commodities but as partners. So if a business partner(s) raises a issue about something in the business, what’s the problem with it being changed?

This was actually a question that was raised in a college course I took.

1000% AGREED

Advertisement
Great another thread telling black people how they should feel and properly react to their experiences. Audacious Paternalism all over the site today.

lol im just confused how the OG point is being missed.... and all you uncle ruckus dudes in the thread" pay me millions and you can call me whatever" lol okay keep on tapdancing..... 75% of the league is black and the word "owner" offends them.... why not change the term that makes the players feel uncomfy? easy solution Silver is proactive and the best commish in sports imo.

lol im just confused how the OG point is being missed.... and all you uncle ruckus dudes in the thread" pay me millions and you can call me whatever" lol okay keep on tapdancing..... 75% of the league is black and the word "owner" offends them.... why not change the term that makes the players feel uncomfy? easy solution Silver is proactive and the best commish in sports imo.
Your point would be valid if they owned the players. But keep white guilting.

Advertisement
I don't care if you're black, brown, white, or purple. If you get offended that a person who purchases a sports team is referred to as the owner of said team, you are an idiot. Fact.
U keep railing in every single thread using the words “dumb” and “idiot” so freely to describe anyone who doesn’t agree with your opinions (not fact) that blatantly, audaciously and obnoxiously ignore American history and the context it provides those who are aware and knowledgeable of it. Such a huge oversight or your intellectually dishonest. Either way, it’s unbelievable that you feel the right to call someone else dumb. It’s pure projecting.

dude im not im just saying i see why it's a problem with the players... we cant act like these owners dont have that slave owner mentality.
Please explain how.

Whats the difference between the nba owners and the owners of a McDonald's that black kids work for? Every company on earth has owners. Its just a word. I work for the owner of my company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back