OT : NBA no longer uses the word owner ; uses governor instead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Who cares? Adam Silver is the best commissioner in professional sports and it isn't even close....The worldwide popularity of basketball has exploded under Silver, as have the TV revenue and values of franchises....

Inmates running the asylum....? Newsflash for you....In the NBA, the "inmates" ARE the NBA....

Didn't some backward, redneck, stuck in the 1950s NFL owner get blasted for stating that "can't have the inmates running the prison"....Dip**** wasn't even smart enough to get the saying correct....

Governors...Owners...Who gives a crap....The Players ARE the NBA....

haven't been keeping up with the times have we?

"reported yesterday TNT is seeing a daunting 22 percent declined and ESPN is down at five percent."

The New York Knicks (down 38 percent on MSG) and Chicago Bulls (down 24 percent on NBC Sports Chicago) had two of the four biggest local TV ratings decreases this season. The Bulls’ 1.36 rating is the team’s lowest in 13 years.

the biggest ratings decline came in Cleveland where the departure of LeBron James from the Cavaliers caused Fox Sports Ohio ratings to drop 58 percent

imagine having a business and losing 58% in ONE year

Advertisement
Why does this upset anyone?

The ONLY ones with any right to get or be upset are the "Owners/Governors/Guvna's" .....and I don't hear them fighting to be called owners

IF they're fine with it .....what's the problem for anyone else?

Personally I like Guvna said with a British accent....as in Hello Guvna

NBA exec: How can we get our name in the news during the offseason?

Intern: I have an idea.

NBA exec: What's it gonna cost?

Intern: Nothing. News channels jump at stuff like this.

haven't been keeping up with the times have we?

"reported yesterday TNT is seeing a daunting 22 percent declined and ESPN is down at five percent."

The New York Knicks (down 38 percent on MSG) and Chicago Bulls (down 24 percent on NBC Sports Chicago) had two of the four biggest local TV ratings decreases this season. The Bulls’ 1.36 rating is the team’s lowest in 13 years.

the biggest ratings decline came in Cleveland where the departure of LeBron James from the Cavaliers caused Fox Sports Ohio ratings to drop 58 percent

imagine having a business and losing 58% in ONE year
You just made my point for me....The NBA, unlike other sports leagues, is a star driven league....When LeBron moved out west and the Lakers TNT games started at 10:30pm et...well, you already pointed out what happened, on a macro and micro level....Imagine one player being so important....

Value of NBA franchises, per Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtba...2019-knicks-on-top-at-4-billion/#3c44ff84e667

"Soaring local media deals, new arenas and basketball’s international popularity continue to push the value of NBA franchises higher.
The average NBA team is worth $1.9 billion, up 13% over last year and three times the level of five years ago."

Imagine your net worth tripling in 5 years....

Okay, you can have the last word, good sir...I come to this site to discuss Hurricane football...if you can somehow relate this topic to Hurricane football, I will be happy to read your reply...if you can't you're just wasting your energy....I am not reading it....

Okie dokie, I am going to focus on calling some hookers....

Have a pleasant evening....

Advertisement
Why does this upset anyone?

The ONLY ones with any right to get or be upset are the "Owners/Governors/Guvna's" .....and I don't hear them fighting to be called owners

IF they're fine with it .....what's the problem for anyone else?

Personally I like Guvna said with a British accent....as in Hello Guvna

Don't tell them that British Governors of colonies also had slaves.

Dumbest ish ever.

If I paid for my car, I would be considered the owner of the car.
If I paid for my house, I would be considered the owner of the house.
If I paid for a restaurant, I would be considered the owner of that restaurant.
If I paid for said restaurant, then decided to employ others, I would be considered the employer and owner
If I paid for a franchise, I would be considered the owner of the franchise.

WHO IN THEIR ******** RIGHT MIND WOULD ASSOCIATE THE GUY WHO PURCHASED A FRANCHISE A SLAVE MASTER FOR CALLING HIM THE OWNER???

If we're going to be "conscious" in today's society, can we tackle real social issues and not this b.s?

You just made my point for me....The NBA, unlike other sports leagues, is a star driven league....When LeBron moved out west and the Lakers TNT games started at 10:30pm et...well, you already pointed out what happened, on a macro and micro level....Imagine one player being so important....

Value of NBA franchises, per Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtba...2019-knicks-on-top-at-4-billion/#3c44ff84e667

"Soaring local media deals, new arenas and basketball’s international popularity continue to push the value of NBA franchises higher.
The average NBA team is worth $1.9 billion, up 13% over last year and three times the level of five years ago."

Imagine your net worth tripling in 5 years....

Okay, you can have the last word, good sir...I come to this site to discuss Hurricane football...if you can somehow relate this topic to Hurricane football, I will be happy to read your reply...if you can't you're just wasting your energy....I am not reading it....

Okie dokie, I am going to focus on calling some hookers....

Have a pleasant evening....

so lebron plays for new york and chicago?

Advertisement
GOTT**** NOT GOING TO LIE I DON'T KNOW HOW TO JUDGE THIS ONE IF I BOUGHT THE FRANCHISE I OWN THE FRANCHISE THE PLAYERS ARE MY EMPLOYEES NOT MY PROPERTY BUT I OWN THE FRANCHISE............ I'M THE MOST PRO BLACK ***** ON THIS PLANET BUT SOMETIMES SOME **** IS JUST STIRRING THE POT FOR NO REASON......... WANNA PROTEST POLICE BRUTALITY MY ***** I'M WITH YOU WANT TO PROTEST OVER INCARCERATION OF MY PEOPLE FOR THE SAME CRIMES COMMITTED I'M RIOTING WITH YOU.......... THIS IS JUST ***** THIS IS SOME BETA MALE **** TO ME I WON'T KNOCK THEY CAUSE BUT THAT DON'T MEAN I GOTTA SUPPORT THAT **** EITHER.

THIS COUNTRY IS SLOWLY BECOMING A BUNCH OF OUCH IT HURTS PUSS.IE.S ........YOU'RE A MEANIE WHO BULLIES PEOPLE...... BACK INTO THE SHADOWS I GO.

Advertisement
GOTT**** NOT GOING TO LIE I DON'T KNOW HOW TO JUDGE THIS ONE IF I BOUGHT THE FRANCHISE I OWN THE FRANCHISE THE PLAYERS ARE MY EMPLOYEES NOT MY PROPERTY BUT I OWN THE FRANCHISE............ I'M THE MOST PRO BLACK ***** ON THIS PLANET BUT SOMETIMES SOME **** IS JUST STIRRING THE POT FOR NO REASON......... WANNA PROTEST POLICE BRUTALITY MY ***** I'M WITH YOU WANT TO PROTEST OVER INCARCERATION OF MY PEOPLE FOR THE SAME CRIMES COMMITTED I'M RIOTING WITH YOU.......... THIS IS JUST ***** THIS IS SOME BETA MALE **** TO ME I WON'T KNOCK THEY CAUSE BUT THAT DON'T MEAN I GOTTA SUPPORT THAT **** EITHER.

THIS COUNTRY IS SLOWLY BECOMING A BUNCH OF OUCH IT HURTS PUSS.IE.S ........YOU'RE A MEANIE WHO BULLIES PEOPLE...... BACK INTO THE SHADOWS I GO.

Slowly??????????

Dumbest ish ever.

If I paid for my car, I would be considered the owner of the car.
If I paid for my house, I would be considered the owner of the house.
If I paid for a restaurant, I would be considered the owner of that restaurant.
If I paid for said restaurant, then decided to employ others, I would be considered the employer and owner
If I paid for a franchise, I would be considered the owner of the franchise.

WHO IN THEIR ******** RIGHT MIND WOULD ASSOCIATE THE GUY WHO PURCHASED A FRANCHISE A SLAVE MASTER FOR CALLING HIM THE OWNER???

If we're going to be "conscious" in today's society, can we tackle real social issues and not this b.s?
As elaborate and true your examples have been, nothing you listed can be argued against ...still, your missing point. The NBA especially this new regime views its player not as commodity but as partners. They understand that these guys are the cash cows and collectively have more power then ever before. Look at the top players in the league. If a owner came out and said something crazy about lebron or Steph or any of the top guys there would be soo much pressure on that owner step down.

Men like Donald sterling for instance, and he’s not the only one, have indeed thought of its players in a “I have ownership of you” or I’m the reason you live the lifestyle you do view. Which for any grown man who worked hard for where he made it from and too is demeaning. Men like that buy an organization. But they don’t really own it. They are in a partnership role with the league and it’s players. In fact the de facto “owner” if you want to simplify it to that simple term is indeed the commissioner who is appointed by the men who reside over the teams. It’s like if A common citizen says I own America( white nationalist think along these terms) because I pay taxes and I vote on the commander and chief and if I wanted to I can have him removed. But ofc sane ppl know that they don’t own the presidential position.

Just like you heAr so many say it’s a privilege not a right to play in a professional league, it’s also not a right to be in partnership with the nba.
The part I bolded mostly resembles the role of “ownership”in sports. Yes as a person who bought a restaurant and decides to employ workers they are indeed a employer. But I’m sure you wouldn’t say the employer owns the employees. It’s only in professional sports this seems to get mixed up.

**** I rambled a lot lol. I’ll sum it up to this: why does anybody have a problem with this change by the nba. They rightfully view their players not as commodities but as partners. So if a business partner(s) raises a issue about something in the business, what’s the problem with it being changed?

This was actually a question that was raised in a college course I took.

I hear you bro..but it’s about changing the mentality at the top of society. You think a dude like Donald sterling was the only one who viewed his black players like that? How many former players do we see at the top of organizations? Or diversity period? In a league that 75% black..Even changing something so simple as this can have a impact. As silly as something like this sounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back