OT: NBA needs to get rid of the '1 and done' rule..

LaVar is an idiot. How about he help his boys first. These kids need to go over to Europe if they don't want to go to college. My homie Stace went to SC then went to Europe and came back to US and was this close to making the Houston Rockets (he really should've made the roster, but was passed over for their draft pick). He said it was the best thing he ever did...said them boys over in Europe can play and it's grown men.

Facts bro this isn't the old days when Europe was only sending busts. Now they are sending over top guys like porzingis.

Advertisement
They're not doing it for altruistic reasons. They benefit tremendously from these players attending their college.

IF they were doing it for these guys benefit why do they have to be a good BB player to get a free education....and why are they dropped if they have a long term injury or are unable to play?

Fact is, they could get paid by NBA or elsewhere and pay for college on their own if that is their real interest. They aren't doing any favors for a player with the skills to go play immediately or make the roster in the Pro's

But how many have the skills to play immediately? Everyone is not LBJ or Kobe, and ****, even Kobe took a couple of years to develop. Like I said, the NBA needs to have a real farm system, a system that truly develop these prodigies' skills. I'm all for that, but right now, the NCAA is doing that and the proof is in the pudding.

Fans don't have time to wait and see if Mr. HS basketball finally learns how to shoot a jump shot or understand how to use angels or how to shoot a FT or gaining the necessary weight to compete w/ grown men. This is the NBA, not NBADL. We're not waiting for all that bruh. I truly think you forget how **** poor the league was, for a while, which was one of the reasons they raised the age limit. Fans were complaining.

Last edited:
Advertisement
But how many have the skills to play immediately? Everyone is not LBJ or Kobe, and ****, even Kobe took a couple of years to develop. Like I said, the NBA needs to have a real farm system, a system that truly develop these prodigies' skills. I'm all for that, but right now, the NCAA is doing that and the proof is in the pudding.

Fans don't have time to wait and see if Mr. HS basketball finally learns how to shoot a jump shot or understand how to use angels or how to shoot a FT or gaining the necessary weight to compete w/ grown men. This is the NBA, not NBADL. We're not waiting for all that bruh. I truly think you forget how **** poor the league was, for a while, which was one of the reasons they raised the age limit. Fans were complaining.

Seems we're talking past each other. We obviously disagree. But let's address your issue

When you make these all encompassing statements like Fans don't have time to wait to see if....whatever. You do realize that EVERY year over half the league's players hardly ever play any significant minutes now? So what's the difference?

The NBA's bench warmers make up the majority of its players. They were the one's most threatened by HS players. Having someone on the team who wasn't an immediate star making more $$ than them and more than some of the starters created locker room problems. That is why the NBAPA voted for one and done.

Paying people for their potential was never a problem for the owners who were always willing to wait for their development. It's still being done now.... Its called the draft. The owner's problem was overpaying and poor scouting. The team's that drafted Kobe, Moses M KG and many others appreciated getting an early start on a future star. Paying for potential has always been the case whether or not it was a HS or college player. Owner's concerns were what they've always been....if they will develop at all.

The NCAA's issue was simple a straightforward. It had NOTHING to do with these players welfare. It was all about them making more $$$. No amount of spin can ignore that basic truth.

The NBA's "problem" had nothing to do with HS players. Let's not sidestep the real issue, the NBA's problem was the homogeneity of its star players. Larry Bird brought back many of the malcontent fans that had a problem with composition of the league's players. Now the NBA is able to draw from the European leagues so these types of fans are happy.

Today, most fans could care less who is playing. They just want their team to win and they know that to have that happen you must get the best player's REGARDLESS of where they come from.

Everyone can't always agree. We just simply disagree but regardless, Have a good one

Last edited:
..after watching Zion Williamson hurt his knee last night, potentially costing him millions upon millions of potential dollars, why do we have the '1 and done' rule for these kids that should be drafted out of high school?

I'm a software developer. If i'm 14 and could care less about going to MIT and there is some company willing to pay me a billion dollars for an app I wrote, I don't have to wait until i'm 19 or after a year in college. It's ridiculous!

The NCAA is much about the cash and not so much about 'student athletes' in my opinion. How much did Nike get paid to have their shoe fail on this kid? If his knee is shot, where's the recourse? A free education makes it all good?

Let the kids into the NBA whenever they want. If they declare and don't get drafted, let 'em play college ball for a year or until they graduate. '1 and Done' should be 'Done'.

I'm also an advocate for paying college football and basketball players - revenue generating sports. Legalize it and allow these kids to earn a living while they make millions for the institutions the represent.

go CANES!!

The nba is a business not a charity, it makes no sense for them to reverse the rules just so that kids like Zion don’t risk injury while playing in college. Zion chose to play college basketball, he was not forced, he gets plenty of benefits from playing at Duke including the rise of his own brand..he is not a victim. If a kid doesn’t value playing ncaa ball for “free” they have other options and at the end of the day, it’s their choice.

The nfl and nba need to start a minor league like baseball has.both leagues make billions of dollars and they could possibly profit off it.the football games can be played in the spring the basketball in the fall make sure those games don't conflict with hs,college of pro football on Sundays.

Age and time limits are bogus and arbitrary. Sergio Aguero debuted in Argentina at 15. LeBron should have done the same at the highest level. I'd like to see more kids say no to the scam of playing a year in college and get paid for a year abroad.

Advertisement
He didn't have to play for Duke! There are plenty of professional leagues around the world he could've have played at for one year....

The NBA has submitted a proposal to the National Basketball Players Association to lower the age of eligibility for players to enter the draft from 19 to 18, according to USA Today.

per SI.com and a few other sites

Seems we're talking past each other. We obviously disagree. But let's address your issue

When you make these all encompassing statements like Fans don't have time to wait to see if....whatever. You do realize that EVERY year over half the league's players hardly ever play any significant minutes now? So what's the difference?

The NBA's bench warmers make up the majority of its players. They were the one's most threatened by HS players. Having someone on the team who wasn't an immediate star making more $$ than them and more than some of the starters created locker room problems. That is why the NBAPA voted for one and done.

Paying people for their potential was never a problem for the owners who were always willing to wait for their development. It's still being done now.... Its called the draft. The owner's problem was overpaying and poor scouting. The team's that drafted Kobe, Moses M KG and many others appreciated getting an early start on a future star. Paying for potential has always been the case whether or not it was a HS or college player. Owner's concerns were what they've always been....if they will develop at all.

The NCAA's issue was simple a straightforward. It had NOTHING to do with these players welfare. It was all about them making more $$$. No amount of spin can ignore that basic truth.

The NBA's "problem" had nothing to do with HS players. Let's not sidestep the real issue, the NBA's problem was the homogeneity of its star players. Larry Bird brought back many of the malcontent fans that had a problem with composition of the league's players. Now the NBA is able to draw from the European leagues so these types of fans are happy.

Today, most fans could care less who is playing. They just want their team to win and they know that to have that happen you must get the best player's REGARDLESS of where they come from.

Everyone can't always agree. We just simply disagree but regardless, Have a good one
All correct

The whole thing is bad. The NBA gets worse and college basketball gets worse. Terrible result.

And for every high school kid that gets to feed his family, an older player is pushed out the door. So that’s not even a silver lining.

Advertisement
Facts. Luka, Porzingas, the Gasol brothers, all the Vulvecicz (lol). Europe is sending over grown men to the NBA right now.
I think that European players are playing much better than they used to because the game has changed and is now very 3 point shot dependent. European players tend to be bigs and they could always shoot, but had a penchant for being soft. Now they can space the floor and shoot 3's. ****, even Vucevic has a 3 point game now as a center. They still send a lot of busts over, however. Mario Hezonja comes to mind.

You just don't see Europe sending point guards over to the NBA. Very, very few. And the ones that do come from Europe tend to be just mediocre like Rubio.

Advertisement
..after watching Zion Williamson hurt his knee last night, potentially costing him millions upon millions of potential dollars, why do we have the '1 and done' rule for these kids that should be drafted out of high school?

I'm a software developer. If i'm 14 and could care less about going to MIT and there is some company willing to pay me a billion dollars for an app I wrote, I don't have to wait until i'm 19 or after a year in college. It's ridiculous!

The NCAA is much about the cash and not so much about 'student athletes' in my opinion. How much did Nike get paid to have their shoe fail on this kid? If his knee is shot, where's the recourse? A free education makes it all good?

Let the kids into the NBA whenever they want. If they declare and don't get drafted, let 'em play college ball for a year or until they graduate. '1 and Done' should be 'Done'.

I'm also an advocate for paying college football and basketball players - revenue generating sports. Legalize it and allow these kids to earn a living while they make millions for the institutions the represent.

go CANES!!
Get a degree. You use an example of one of the very few that make it to the show.

All this 1 and done thing started cause all the NBA execs paying high school kids that never made it.. they all went to grab kids thinking they could develop.. the whole system is so corrupt with $ and everyone wants to grab their share that this will never get fixed.. the NBA should get serious abt a developmental league and put the $ into that.. kids that still want to develop their skills and realize that they need an education to actually live after playing ball can go to college

First off.... **** duke!!!! Second... Why does it matter if u love Miami football and like another school in basketball.... Especially if you're not from Miami?

It matters. You might be a fan but you are not a Cane then. It’s all about The U, not some about it.

Advertisement
Back