OT: NBA needs to get rid of the '1 and done' rule..

WndyCityCane

Recruit
..after watching Zion Williamson hurt his knee last night, potentially costing him millions upon millions of potential dollars, why do we have the '1 and done' rule for these kids that should be drafted out of high school?

I'm a software developer. If i'm 14 and could care less about going to MIT and there is some company willing to pay me a billion dollars for an app I wrote, I don't have to wait until i'm 19 or after a year in college. It's ridiculous!

The NCAA is much about the cash and not so much about 'student athletes' in my opinion. How much did Nike get paid to have their shoe fail on this kid? If his knee is shot, where's the recourse? A free education makes it all good?

Let the kids into the NBA whenever they want. If they declare and don't get drafted, let 'em play college ball for a year or until they graduate. '1 and Done' should be 'Done'.

I'm also an advocate for paying college football and basketball players - revenue generating sports. Legalize it and allow these kids to earn a living while they make millions for the institutions the represent.

go CANES!!

Advertisement
I've always said this but they also have mad kids who would go feom HS and be a bust and then what? Some guys aren't ready and will make a bad decision so yes end the one and done but some guys will fail because of that

It’s better for the NBA. The quality of play has gone up now that GMs get a better evaluation. The HS era was terrible. For every LeBron, there are three Darius Miles.

That’s a separate issue than whether it’s fair or not. But the league needs to what’s best for the league. The healthier the game is, the better off the players are as a whole.

I believe the One and done rule was implemented because so many kids were going pro out of high school and not making it. So, then they were just sh*t out of luck without the ability to get an education. There were some pretty grim horror stories of these kids who went pro and busted.

Advertisement
I agree with removing one and done, but Zion is still going number 1. Kyrie Irving played 18 games at, most of which fell in non conference schedule and man went number one. No one is passing up on Zion.

Wasn't this rule pretty much created because the players association was trying to protect veterans.... so they could hang on for a couple of more years and collect a check

Advertisement
It’s better for the NBA. The quality of play has gone up now that GMs get a better evaluation. The HS era was terrible. For every LeBron, there are three Darius Miles.

That’s a separate issue than whether it’s fair or not. But the league needs to what’s best for the league. The healthier the game is, the better off the players are as a whole.

Completely Agree. Although now that the NBA will be using the G-League as a youth development this could help resolve such issues.

I will see your 3 Darius Miles' and raise you 2 Kwame Browns....

I thought Adam Silver instituted a salaried G League year in lieu of one and done...about 125K..and was planning on getting rid of one and done in 2021 or shortly thereafter....

Advertisement

This right here. So many busts out of highschool rip Sebastian telfair

Advertisement
First off.... **** duke!!!! Second... Why does it matter if u love Miami football and like another school in basketball.... Especially if you're not from Miami?

Gives people something to cry about. On here it's okay to not be from Miami and like Miami after living thru the glory days but on the other hand, its completely ridiculous to like UNC/Duke for the same reason.

I believe the One and done rule was implemented because so many kids were going pro out of high school and not making it. So, then they were just sh*t out of luck without the ability to get an education. There were some pretty grim horror stories of these kids who went pro and busted.
You're preaching the corporate line. The reality, however, is the NCAA DGAF about any of the kids, they care about the bottom dollar. And once guys started leaving straight from high school to the pros, it cut into their $$$$.

You still see a bunch of guys leave after 1 or 2 years of college ball, go undrafted and are pretty much in the same situation as the high school kids who declared but weren't drafted. It's not like they get corporate gigs in the real world with a year of education from some college. It's a joke. A big money grabbing joke.

1 and done should stick around. However more kids should go overseas. Get paid and then enter the draft.
Good alternative! Look at Luka Doncic, who played for Real Madrid in ACB (Spanish professional Basketball league). He's now a star for the Dallas Mavericks!!

Good alternative! Look at Luka Doncic, who played for Real Madrid in ACB (Spanish professional Basketball league). He's now a star for the Dallas Mavericks!!

I get the allure of playing on National TV and in March Madness, and the college lifestyle but man if more kids went overseas to ball professionally, it would really put the squeeze on the NCAA to pony some cash up

Advertisement
Back