OT: NBA needs to get rid of the '1 and done' rule..

until the G league draws the NCAA tv audience, no one will go to the g league. part of the issue is that the exposure from college basketball is so much greater than any minor league in any sport will provide. even NCAA baseball gets more eyeballs than Minor league baseball.

True, but w/ Minor League Baseball and w/ hockey, there's levels. Based upon your level of progress, then you move up within the farm systems. I like that, honestly.

Advertisement
I can get w/ this. Honestly, I think the NBA and especially the NFL need to have a real development league like Hockey and Baseball. The G league is straight trash. Not many come from that league to the NBA. I know they like to say the NCAA is like an internship, but the NCAA is grossly profiting w/ no returns to the student athlete. I definitely agree w/ this.

Absolutely.

Agreed, but seeing a guy like Kwame, 18 yrs old, dominating high school (albeit weak comp)....of course people were going to drool over him. Andrew Bynum, same thing.

Bynum>>>>>> than Kwame. Bynum was starting to beast until his knee. Averaged almost 19 and 12 when he was 24. They aren’t remotely the same. Kwame was a bum

Advertisement
Bynum>>>>>> than Kwame. Bynum was starting to beast until his knee. Averaged almost 19 and 12 when he was 24. They aren’t remotely the same. Kwame was a bum

Bynum:

1st yr: 1.6 ppg 1.7 rbs
2nd yr: 7.8 ppg 5.9 rbs
3rd yr: 13.1 ppg 10.2 rbs
4th yr: 14.3 ppg 8.0 rbs
5th yr: 15.0 ppg 8.3 rbs
6th yr 11.3 ppg 9.4 rbs
7th yr: 18.7 ppg 11.8 rbs

I wouldn't exactly say he was beasting especially since he only stayed healthy one time in his whole career. Bynum started to do weird things. After he signed his second deal, he became a real a-hole and I'm telling you this for a fact since I insured his mama's house in LA. No one compared Brown to Bynum. My point still stands that the HS guys took a toll on the NBA due to how long the majority of them took to develop.

LeBron, Amare, Dwight, Kobe, KG, Tracy McGrady...all were/are solid to HOF players.

Jermaine O'Neal, Tyson Chandler, JR Smith, Josh Smith, Al Harrington, Monta Ellis, Rashard Lewis, Al Jefferson...all were All-Star level players.

Even dudes like Louis Williams, Amir Johnson, Gerald Green, Martell Webster, CJ Miles, DeShawn Stevenson, Kendrick Perkins, Dorell Wright, and Shaun Livingston have had very solid careers.

Most of the busts had medical issues, IE Jonathan Bender, Robert Swift, Darius Miles, & Eddy Curry.

Only a few of em' were out-and-out busts, IE Kwame (who still played about 10 years in the league), Diop, Travis Outlaw (who was picked in the 20s).

Waaaaaaay more successful HS to NBA players drafted than busts.

AGREE 100%

Also don't forget HOFamer Moses Malone

What a joke!! Let's stop being disingenuous pretending that they're doing it to help the players develop. They could care less.

They're doing it for purely selfish reasons.They ( NCAA and Universities) want to be able to put azzes in their seats and $$$ in their pockets..... and they need stars to do it.

Bynum:

1st yr: 1.6 ppg 1.7 rbs
2nd yr: 7.8 ppg 5.9 rbs
3rd yr: 13.1 ppg 10.2 rbs
4th yr: 14.3 ppg 8.0 rbs
5th yr: 15.0 ppg 8.3 rbs
6th yr 11.3 ppg 9.4 rbs
7th yr: 18.7 ppg 11.8 rbs

I wouldn't exactly say he was beasting especially since he only stayed healthy one time in his whole career. Bynum started to do weird things. After he signed his second deal, he became a real a-hole and I'm telling you this for a fact since I insured his mama's house in LA. No one compared Brown to Bynum. My point still stands that the HS guys took a toll on the NBA due to how long the majority of them took to develop.

Didn’t read all of it. Like I said, his age 24 year. 18.7 and 11.8 and that’s behind Kobe and Gasol. So yeah, he was turning into a beast that year.

Didn’t read all of it. Like I said, his age 24 year. 18.7 and 11.8 and that’s behind Kobe and Gasol. So yeah, he was turning into a beast that year.

bynum also didnt give a **** about basketball. didnt he admit it in a piece done recently on him

Advertisement
..after watching Zion Williamson hurt his knee last night, potentially costing him millions upon millions of potential dollars, why do we have the '1 and done' rule for these kids that should be drafted out of high school?

I'm a software developer. If i'm 14 and could care less about going to MIT and there is some company willing to pay me a billion dollars for an app I wrote, I don't have to wait until i'm 19 or after a year in college. It's ridiculous!

The NCAA is much about the cash and not so much about 'student athletes' in my opinion. How much did Nike get paid to have their shoe fail on this kid? If his knee is shot, where's the recourse? A free education makes it all good?

Let the kids into the NBA whenever they want. If they declare and don't get drafted, let 'em play college ball for a year or until they graduate. '1 and Done' should be 'Done'.

I'm also an advocate for paying college football and basketball players - revenue generating sports. Legalize it and allow these kids to earn a living while they make millions for the institutions the represent.

go CANES!!

You should ask the NBAPA since they agreed to it. Nobody forced Zion to go play for Duke. He could have sat out, played in the G league, Europe, China etc.. So if you pay them then who does it? NCAA, school? Learn a little before typing crap, you cant pay just football and basketball players. I dont mind NCAA/schools paying players as long as they dont get free food, lodging, clothes, have to pay for class, etc..

That being said they should get rid of one and done....but for every kobe, zion, garnett etc kids that actually succeed going straight to pros there are 15 that dont even make the team. Its better now that they have G league so teams can put kids there to develop

AGREE 100%

Also don't forget HOFamer Moses Malone

What a joke!! Let's stop being disingenuous pretending that they're doing it to help the players develop. They could care less.

They're doing it for purely selfish reasons.They ( NCAA and Universities) want to be able to put azzes in their seats and $$$ in their pockets..... and they need stars to do it.

Guys coming out from HS to the NBA was a lose/lose for both the NCAA and NBA. No one wanted to watch a kid take 4-6 yrs to develop into a professional player. No one wanted to watch scrubs in NCAA, either. Basketball took a hit during those years. Now both products are exciting.

I like college sports; I think college sports is a wonderful thing. It allows a young man to either decide he has the talent to go straight to the league, or if they are not good enough, garnish a FREE education. Now, do I think things need to be tweaked a little? Yes, b/c these schools are making hand over fist money off the sweat of these young men. But to say they are doing it purely for selfish reason is a bit much.

Advertisement
No, it wouldn't. People watch college basketball because the sport is fun to watch and to root for the name on the front of the jersey's, not the name on the back. 5-15 kids per year going to play for a year in Europe instead of college would have 0 impact on the NCAA.

If the players don't like how the NBA is run, they should start their own league, own the teams, own the capital, and set the rules. Won't happen. You know why? Because it's the capital that makes the league work, not the players.

If some crazy alien race were to land on earth today and kidnap every rostered NBA player on the planet and then disappear with them all, never to be seen again, the NBA would refill it's rosters and resume operations within a month. In a year, hardly anyone would know the difference. Yes, elite players are special, gifted, uniquely talented, etc. They are not irreplaceable.

Obviously, I know this is not a popular opinion, but it's the truth. The music world cries when a Kurt Cobain, John Lennon, Jimmy Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, etc passes too soon. Music doesn't cease to exist or be made, the world goes on.
That’s the dumbest thing I’ve read in a while .... if the nba replaces guys like Lebron James and Steph Curry with a bunch of Grayson Allen’s or PJ Tucker’s (no disrespect) no one is going to watch it and the league would go to **** so yes the players and their crazy talent ( the one that makes people pay 80$ to go watch them play or take time out of their day to watch a game on tv) make the league. If the best players in the league decided to go to the Spanish league guess what league would become the most watched....the Spanish league

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve read in a while .... if the nba replaces guys like Lebron James and Steph Curry with a bunch of Grayson Allen’s or PJ Tucker’s (no disrespect) no one is going to watch it and the league would go to **** so yes the players and their crazy talent ( the one that makes people pay 80$ to go watch them play or take time out of their day to watch a game on tv) make the league. If the best players in the league decided to go to the Spanish league guess what league would become the most watched....the Spanish league

similar to soccer and why euro soccer rates better here than mls. people will flock to see the best players

Advertisement
Obviously your scenario is true... the owners just restock their rosters. I’m not so sure no one would notice tho. It’s a star driven league, and I dunno if people would be that interested in seeing the game played without the elite talent.

Kinda like when the NFLPA went on strike, and the owners brought in the scrubs. That version of football wasn’t nearly the same as what fans want.

Football is a VERY different sport than BBall. In basketball, there are 30 teams, 5 starters per team, call it 300 people to fully replace the entire league. You don't think there are 300 talented players in the world who, when playing against each other won't be amazing? Also, football requires basically every man working together to achieve anything worthwhile. In basketball, you just hand the ball to James Harden and everyone else reads a book.

LeBron was made a star by basketball, not the other way around. If the NBA wasn't around to popularize him, nobody would GAF. There are lots of mega-stars in other sports that nobody cares about, and nobody really cares about them. Can you name the most dominant polo player in the world? Yeah, me either.

Like I said, I know this won't be a popular opinion. Whatevs..., agree to disagree.

giphy.gif

Thanks for the response, bro. Agree to disagree... Have a good night!

Guys coming out from HS to the NBA was a lose/lose for both the NCAA and NBA. No one wanted to watch a kid take 4-6 yrs to develop into a professional player. No one wanted to watch scrubs in NCAA, either. Basketball took a hit during those years. Now both products are exciting.

I like college sports; I think college sports is a wonderful thing. It allows a young man to either decide he has the talent to go straight to the league, or if they are not good enough, garnish a FREE education. Now, do I think things need to be tweaked a little? Yes, b/c these schools are making hand over fist money off the sweat of these young men. But to say they are doing it purely for selfish reason is a bit much.

They're not doing it for altruistic reasons. They benefit tremendously from these players attending their college.

IF they were doing it for these guys benefit why do they have to be a good BB player to get a free education....and why are they dropped if they have a long term injury or are unable to play?

Fact is, they could get paid by NBA or elsewhere and pay for college on their own if that is their real interest. They aren't doing any favors for a player with the skills to go play immediately or make the roster in the Pro's

Advertisement
Back