OT: NBA needs to get rid of the '1 and done' rule..

I don't agree w/ you at all. How many guys that left high school and came straight to the NBA actually lived up to the hype? How many of those guys remained in the leauge past 5 yrs? How many one and dones have lived up to the hype?

Now compare that to the guys who either played professionally over in Europe since the age of 15 or the guys who stayed at least 2 years in college. Its not a coincidence guys like Donovan Mitchell and Dennis Smith Jr came NBA ready, while Lonzo Ball, D'Aaron Fox, Fultz, Josh Jackson, Malik Monk, Harry Giles, Tony Bradley all struggled. I'm sorry, but the NBA lost a lot of popularity during those baby sitting years. It was a **** poor product. It take 98% of these one and done players a min of 3 yrs to reach their NBA maturity, which coincides with the glory years of the NBA...guys staying in school 3 to 4 years.

Whether the product ultimately is better is both somewhat subjective but also irrelevant. Its the fair-market value of an individuals skills, talents and labor and whether they are able to capture that value at the time it may be at its highest.

I can happily concede any argument about of inferiority of product because that isn't really my argument. Im not arguing guys dont need developmental work. Im arguing that even with guys who dont develop and become stars in the NBA or NFL (again a somewhat subjective criteria) are being taken advantage of both in basketball and definitely football, by a system built and designed to deny them their highest and best return on their labor. And for the ones who did go directly from high school to NBA or played in Europe, still benefitted more than they would have had they went to a college.

Its the pareto principle. But my instincts tell me its even more unforgiving in the context of college sports; probably closer to 90/10.

Advertisement
I am old enough to remember it well. I recall when Kevin Garnett opened the floodgates for guys like Korleone Young and Lenny Cooke to follow. The reason why the NCAAB didn't have a seat at the table is to avoid the appearance of collusion with the NBA, not because their interests weren't aligned.

Peep this article: NCAA and NBA re One and Done rule

Well, I guess I have no reason not to believe the NCAA would try to collude.

Legit people still watch the NBA for the purity of the sport of basketball? I thought it was just for kids and bored as ***c husbands trapped in a 30 year mortgage.

So in your mind, 4 months of college ball is going to far increase the success rate? I don't think so. Every year we still have more underclassmen declaring for the NBA draft then spots avail. It's going to happen regardless. 1 yr IMO makes no difference. Guys like AD, Zion, Kyrie, Tatum, etc would have the same success out of high school as they had with 1 semester of college. On the flip side, some guys go to college 4 yrs and don't make it. I think the one and done is dumb. If a high school kid wants to bypass college and go for it, it's the chance they take. I get it, for every KG there is a Korlene Young... My argument is for the kid that does 1 semester in college and goes pro and then doesn't make it... Then what?

Uh, no I don’t agree with one and done. Was just stating that one of the reasons they implemented it

Advertisement
Due respect... bullshine. UNC-Duke was UNC-Duke long before Zion was a glint in his daddy's eye. If Zion was playing in the NBA or in Europe, it would be someone else starring for Duke.

sorry but no one was paying 10k for a ticket to UNC-Duke. Zion made that event SB pricing esp in a year where UNC is good but not elite

They already plan to get rid of the rule anyway. NCAA doesn't want it either. They should do like baseball, if you go to college you have to stay 3 years, or you can go straight from high school. The NBA will increase the D league salaries and i think every team owns a d league team now. They need to make it so the D League team owns the rights to the players for it to work for the NBA teams though.
Agree. Maybe the NBA and NFL should stop using the NCAA as their farm system. No one seems to feel for the thousands who have gone into the minor leagues after high school and not made it. You make that choice and live with the consequences.

Agree. Maybe the NBA and NFL should stop using the NCAA as their farm system. No one seems to feel for the thousands who have gone into the minor leagues after high school and not made it. You make that choice and live with the consequences.

+1

College isnt going anywhere and its returns are diminishing. But an individual's ability to trade and earn economic rent on their athletic talents has an incredibly brief shelf life. And for many, just having that opportunity is achieving their dream.

No, it wouldn't. People watch college basketball because the sport is fun to watch and to root for the name on the front of the jersey's, not the name on the back. 5-15 kids per year going to play for a year in Europe instead of college would have 0 impact on the NCAA.

If the players don't like how the NBA is run, they should start their own league, own the teams, own the capital, and set the rules. Won't happen. You know why? Because it's the capital that makes the league work, not the players.

If some crazy alien race were to land on earth today and kidnap every rostered NBA player on the planet and then disappear with them all, never to be seen again, the NBA would refill it's rosters and resume operations within a month. In a year, hardly anyone would know the difference. Yes, elite players are special, gifted, uniquely talented, etc. They are not irreplaceable.

Obviously, I know this is not a popular opinion, but it's the truth. The music world cries when a Kurt Cobain, John Lennon, Jimmy Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, etc passes too soon. Music doesn't cease to exist or be made, the world goes on.
Obviously your scenario is true... the owners just restock their rosters. I’m not so sure no one would notice tho. It’s a star driven league, and I dunno if people would be that interested in seeing the game played without the elite talent.

Kinda like when the NFLPA went on strike, and the owners brought in the scrubs. That version of football wasn’t nearly the same as what fans want.

Advertisement
How many guys that left high school and came straight to the NBA actually lived up to the hype? How many of those guys remained in the leauge past 5 yrs? How many one and dones have lived up to the hype?

LeBron, Amare, Dwight, Kobe, KG, Tracy McGrady...all were/are solid to HOF players.

Jermaine O'Neal, Tyson Chandler, JR Smith, Josh Smith, Al Harrington, Monta Ellis, Rashard Lewis, Al Jefferson...all were All-Star level players.

Even dudes like Louis Williams, Amir Johnson, Gerald Green, Martell Webster, CJ Miles, DeShawn Stevenson, Kendrick Perkins, Dorell Wright, and Shaun Livingston have had very solid careers.

Most of the busts had medical issues, IE Jonathan Bender, Robert Swift, Darius Miles, & Eddy Curry.

Only a few of em' were out-and-out busts, IE Kwame (who still played about 10 years in the league), Diop, Travis Outlaw (who was picked in the 20s).

Waaaaaaay more successful HS to NBA players drafted than busts.

It’s better for the NBA. The quality of play has gone up now that GMs get a better evaluation. The HS era was terrible. For every LeBron, there are three Darius Miles.

That’s a separate issue than whether it’s fair or not. But the league needs to what’s best for the league. The healthier the game is, the better off the players are as a whole.
exactly. people forget when lebron wrote his article about returning to cleveland he said he went to miami because he needed to college experience. Im sorry, nba is a business and i believe in a 2 and done or i would be ok with a hs to pros or commit to 3 years of college. NBA contract is not a remedy to societys wrongs where you throw money at kids becuase they come from certain backgrounds.
these kids are not ready mentally or physically. guys like jermanie oneal and mccgrady were falling apart by 30 years old. your body is not ready for an NBA schedule at 18 years old.

..after watching Zion Williamson hurt his knee last night, potentially costing him millions upon millions of potential dollars, why do we have the '1 and done' rule for these kids that should be drafted out of high school?

I'm a software developer. If i'm 14 and could care less about going to MIT and there is some company willing to pay me a billion dollars for an app I wrote, I don't have to wait until i'm 19 or after a year in college. It's ridiculous!

The NCAA is much about the cash and not so much about 'student athletes' in my opinion. How much did Nike get paid to have their shoe fail on this kid? If his knee is shot, where's the recourse? A free education makes it all good?

Let the kids into the NBA whenever they want. If they declare and don't get drafted, let 'em play college ball for a year or until they graduate. '1 and Done' should be 'Done'.

I'm also an advocate for paying college football and basketball players - revenue generating sports. Legalize it and allow these kids to earn a living while they make millions for the institutions the represent.

go CANES!!

Title 9 would make you pay all the sports. If we are going to pay the athletes, then they should have to pay tuition, books, room and board. Then the free education thing is gone. It would be a good life lesson for the young men, and women. Paying income and payroll taxes gives you a different feeling than freebies from evryone fawning over you. Paying that tuition bill might get your rear in the classroom too. I like your idea.

Some kid who I went to college with is a Miami football and duke basketball fan. I quickly tore into that tool. Then I had a few cold ones. Somehow I woke up in a dumpster the next morning.

Advertisement
I’m probably of the minority but the rule id say is great is allow those kids that are willing to go straight out of HS but if you choose the college route you gotta do 2 years minimum and you can profit off your likeness if able. 🤷🏾‍♂️

guys like jermanie oneal and mccgrady were falling apart by 30 years old. your body is not ready for an NBA schedule at 18 years old.

LOL...of course they were falling apart, they were in the league for 12 years at 30. Those 2 would've been dum@$$es to forgo the millions the owners were doling out before the league implemented the rookie wage scale.

LaVar is an idiot. How about he help his boys first. These kids need to go over to Europe if they don't want to go to college. My homie Stace went to SC then went to Europe and came back to US and was this close to making the Houston Rockets (he really should've made the roster, but was passed over for their draft pick). He said it was the best thing he ever did...said them boys over in Europe can play and it's grown men.
LaVar is an idiot I agree but the JBL is still a good idea . Playing overseas is always a good option but going and playing in a foreign country isn’t for everybody.

Advertisement
Whether the product ultimately is better is both somewhat subjective but also irrelevant. Its the fair-market value of an individuals skills, talents and labor and whether they are able to capture that value at the time it may be at its highest.

I can happily concede any argument about of inferiority of product because that isn't really my argument. Im not arguing guys dont need developmental work. Im arguing that even with guys who dont develop and become stars in the NBA or NFL (again a somewhat subjective criteria) are being taken advantage of both in basketball and definitely football, by a system built and designed to deny them their highest and best return on their labor. And for the ones who did go directly from high school to NBA or played in Europe, still benefitted more than they would have had they went to a college.

Its the pareto principle. But my instincts tell me its even more unforgiving in the context of college sports; probably closer to 90/10.

I can get w/ this. Honestly, I think the NBA and especially the NFL need to have a real development league like Hockey and Baseball. The G league is straight trash. Not many come from that league to the NBA. I know they like to say the NCAA is like an internship, but the NCAA is grossly profiting w/ no returns to the student athlete. I definitely agree w/ this.

LOL...of course they were falling apart, they were in the league for 12 years at 30. Those 2 would've been dum@$$es to forgo the millions the owners were doling out before the league implemented the rookie wage scale.

also, not sure if 18 or 19 makes such a big difference. some guys are just injury prone. kyrie, embiid fall apart regularly, but they've just had that bad luck. wade spent 3 years in college and he was aging quick around 30 (his knees at least).

I can get w/ this. Honestly, I think the NBA and especially the NFL need to have a real development league like Hockey and Baseball. The G league is straight trash. Not many come from that league to the NBA. I know they like to say the NCAA is like an internship, but the NCAA is grossly profiting w/ no returns to the student athlete. I definitely agree w/ this.

until the G league draws the NCAA tv audience, no one will go to the g league. part of the issue is that the exposure from college basketball is so much greater than any minor league in any sport will provide. even NCAA baseball gets more eyeballs than Minor league baseball.

LeBron, Amare, Dwight, Kobe, KG, Tracy McGrady...all were/are solid to HOF players.

Jermaine O'Neal, Tyson Chandler, JR Smith, Josh Smith, Al Harrington, Monta Ellis, Rashard Lewis, Al Jefferson...all were All-Star level players.

Even dudes like Louis Williams, Amir Johnson, Gerald Green, Martell Webster, CJ Miles, DeShawn Stevenson, Kendrick Perkins, Dorell Wright, and Shaun Livingston have had very solid careers.

Most of the busts had medical issues, IE Jonathan Bender, Robert Swift, Darius Miles, & Eddy Curry.

Only a few of em' were out-and-out busts, IE Kwame (who still played about 10 years in the league), Diop, Travis Outlaw (who was picked in the 20s).

Waaaaaaay more successful HS to NBA players drafted than busts.

How long for Jermaine? How long for Tyson? Chandler? Harrington? All of them??

My point was the NBA was **** poor as we had to watch all the aforementioned guys wait to develop.

Advertisement
Back