OT: NBA lottery

Rare win for both teams IMO

Lakers get a Top 6 player and the unquestioned best 1-2 punch in the NBA. They've just committed to building in free agency over the next 6-7 years since they now have very little assets to make draft or trade deadline moves.

Pelicans get a couple young & talented players and a war chest of assets for the next 6-7 years. They have their franchise centerpiece with Zion, can develop & build through the draft, flip assets for players, and have free agency cap space. They'll have soooo many options over the next 6-7 years.

There's a ton of ways this could actually play out - but it looks good on paper for both right now.

Advertisement
The Lakers gave up too much. They had all the leverage, AD came out and said he only wanted LA or NY, but NY wasn't willing to part with nearly as much as LA did. Boston wasn't getting rid of Tatum and AD didn't even want to go to Boston.

This was the result of a horribly run Lakers team feeling immense pressure to add a star alongside LeBron during his brief remaining window to win a title. But they went and mortgaged the future by doing so.

Who should they have held out of the deal and risked another PG or Kawhi situation for? Zo? Hart? Future 1st in 2024? Serious question.

All of a sudden people are overvaluing Zo and Ingram and severely undervaluing AD(26, 3 time 1st team all nba and 3 time defensive team member) because of their dislike for Bron/Lakers. Nothing else makes sense.

I know NO isn’t on tv a lot but some of you all need to head to google and YouTube and check out his stat lines/highlights. Top 5 player in the NBA. You do what it takes to get him. They also had leverage and tried the hardball route with Indy and SA and whiffed both times. Couldn’t afford for that to happen again.

Who should they have held out of the deal and risked another PG or Kawhi situation for? Zo? Hart? Future 1st in 2024? Serious question.

All of a sudden people are overvaluing Zo and Ingram and severely undervaluing AD(26, 3 time 1st team all nba and 3 time defensive team member) because of their dislike for Bron/Lakers. Nothing else makes sense.

I know NO isn’t on tv a lot but some of you all need to head to google and YouTube and check out his stat lines/highlights. Top 5 player in the NBA. You do what it takes to get him. They also had leverage and tried the hardball route with Indy and SA and whiffed both times. Couldn’t afford for that to happen again.
I just think they gave up too much. What were the realistic alternatives? Was New Orleans going to trade him to a team other than LA or NY? Probably not, given AD is a free agent next year and stated he won't sign elsewhere. And after NY offered so little, I think LA didn't need to give up the treasure chest it did. I think the PG and Kawhi situations played a role. They went all-in.

The Pelicans IF they have ANYTHING on the ball "should" have the makings of a pretty good team for the next few years

I just think they gave up too much. What were the realistic alternatives? Was New Orleans going to trade him to a team other than LA or NY? Probably not, given AD is a free agent next year and stated he won't sign elsewhere. And after NY offered so little, I think LA didn't need to give up the treasure chest it did. I think the PG and Kawhi situations played a role. They went all-in.

Like you said I definitely think the PG and Kawhi situation played a role. They didn’t want to risk someone seeing how those situations played out(PG, like AD, reportedly wanting to come to LA and falling in love with OKC and resigning and KL leading the Raptors to a ring) and deciding it was worth it to go all in and hope for 1 of those 2 results. How bad would it have been if they whiffed on AD and subsequently all big name FAs this summer? Very.

They decided nothing they were giving up was worth that risk and I have to agree. Glad they didn’t get strong armed into giving up Kuzma too, I’d rather have him then those 2 future 1sts honestly.

Advertisement
I want both teams to have lost this trade and to fail.

Lebron and LA for obvious post-Heat schadenfreude based reasons.

New Orleans and Gayle Benson for not being the one instance of a "small" market sticking to their guns and refusing to make a trade to a market like LA and a trade the NBA absolutely wanted to happen. I don't even care if it was the best offer. They could've used it for leverage to get something almost as good from a team in the East like Boston. Especially after Benson said she deal him to LA over her dead body. Enjoy Lavar Ball now ya old bag along with one good draft pick at #4 in a consensus 3 player draft.

The Pelicans IF they have ANYTHING on the ball "should" have the makings of a pretty good team for the next few years
At some point, they're going to need some reliable outside shooting on the court. They're built for fast break and social media highlights, but it won't win anything meaningful until they can balance the court.

I want both teams to have lost this trade and to fail.

Lebron and LA for obvious post-Heat schadenfreude based reasons.

New Orleans and Gayle Benson for not being the one instance of a "small" market sticking to their guns and refusing to make a trade to a market like LA and a trade the NBA absolutely wanted to happen. I don't even care if it was the best offer. They could've used it for leverage to get something almost as good from a team in the East like Boston. Especially after Benson said she deal him to LA over her dead body. Enjoy Lavar Ball now ya old bag along with one good draft pick at #4 in a consensus 3 player draft.

they have the first pick overall too. ive heard theyre moving the 4th pick and likely ball (PHX would be interesting as a destination)

Advertisement
they have the first pick overall too. ive heard theyre moving the 4th pick and likely ball (PHX would be interesting as a destination)

Would be interesting what kind of return they could get for the 4th pick. Ball (per Lavar) wants to play in Phoenix but I've also heard they're interested in a veteran guard- ie the Dragic rumors.

I just think New Orleans got a lottttt but nothing particulary great in return for a franchise type player. They should have at least demanded Kuzma and told Pelinka we're never discussing this again with you (for realz this time) if you don't agree right now. Obviously what they got is better than getting nothing in return a year from now but I think they had even more leverage in this moment just following a potential one year rental winning a championship in Toronto.

Would be interesting what kind of return they could get for the 4th pick. Ball (per Lavar) wants to play in Phoenix but I've also heard they're interested in a veteran guard- ie the Dragic rumors.

I just think New Orleans got a lottttt but nothing particulary great in return for a franchise type player. They should have at least demanded Kuzma and told Pelinka we're never discussing this again with you (for realz this time) if you don't agree right now. Obviously what they got is better than getting nothing in return a year from now but I think they had even more leverage in this moment just following a potential one year rental winning a championship in Toronto.

dragics def getting dealt at the draft***, but the stuff im reading and hearing is a play for Butler and Conley if they can make multiple moves so well see. also, i think BI was the best young player on that roster in LA. he was playing really well till he went down with the clots and has a far higher ceiling than kuzma.

also, fake rob lowe might have screwed himself by not timing the deal properly. hes so dumb

Last edited:
Big risk for Lakers but expected. LeBron makes perimeter players better but big men have had a hard time fitting in. Bosh and Love were elite prior to joining LeBron and he turned them into basically spot up 3 point shooters. AD is a better talent than both so we will see how he handles it. They will need shooters and try not to add over the hill guys like they added last summer.

Advertisement
Big risk for Lakers but expected. LeBron makes perimeter players better but big men have had a hard time fitting in. Bosh and Love were elite prior to joining LeBron and he turned them into basically spot up 3 point shooters. AD is a better talent than both so we will see how he handles it. They will need shooters and try not to add over the hill guys like they added last summer.

lebron makes stars worse (makes sense bc they have to sacrifice parts of their game and LBJ is the better ball dominant player than any star next to him). AD isn't nearly the shooter Bosh was inside (and outside later in the years) and def not close to Love from 3 imo. AD is more athletic but way more injury prone than bosh. last year, they added non shooters bc rob lowe and magic are dumb. the part that sucks for LA is that LBJ has gotten worse in terms of athleticism and defense yearly. at some point, the decline is coming and could come in a flash. AD hasn't officially committed to staying on after 1 year so it'll be interesting. im sure he will stay, but you never know

Advertisement
They gave up a guy who has missed 83 games, a guy that has blood clot issues, a bench guy, a valueless #4 pick (which LBJ hates playing w rookies), and several 1st round picks that will be lower tier based upon The Lakers seasons. Annnnnd they got to keep Kuzma!

This was a fleece, my guy. Legit.
Brother be real with yourself. If you don't see what him going to the Lakers in the first place was really all about you wanna be blind to this... Its obvious as can be hes transitioning to his next phase in life. Real smart business move but for anyone that knows bron or understands him they'll tell you basketball is just a stepping stone. Dont be surprised if four years ain't happening my brother. Just sayin.

Advertisement
Back