OT: NBA lottery

I think for the heat what should be obvious is pat needs to relinquish any draft obligations. He literally wastes the draft for the heat every single year. It's not just this bum *** kid he drafted or getting bol bol to give him away. I understand all these moves were about freeing up cap space. Long term moves. But you cant never put any fresh legs on this team and expect success. The move for buddy fron Stanford was even worse. Unless I'm mistook he gave up 3 second round picks to get him... it's like he sabotages the draft every year.

Advertisement
I think for the heat what should be obvious is pat needs to relinquish any draft obligations. He literally wastes the draft for the heat every single year. It's not just this bum *** kid he drafted or getting bol bol to give him away. I understand all these moves were about freeing up cap space. Long term moves. But you cant never put any fresh legs on this team and expect success. The move for buddy fron Stanford was even worse. Unless I'm mistook he gave up 3 second round picks to get him... it's like he sabotages the draft every year.

a stupid stupid draft. took a 6'5 dude with a 6'3 wing span when sekou was on the board. i dont mind the stanford dude bc of the athlete he is and i think the heat development program can work w that. bol bol wouldve been nice (tho i dont think **** ever be healthy), but to just move him for nothing (a future second and some cash) is worthless. bleep riley

Brother be real with yourself. If you don't see what him going to the Lakers in the first place was really all about you wanna be blind to this... Its obvious as can be hes transitioning to his next phase in life. Real smart business move but for anyone that knows bron or understands him they'll tell you basketball is just a stepping stone. Dont be surprised if four years ain't happening my brother. Just sayin.

Come on Dee, who u dealing w bro? Of course I know that. I told my boys, avid Laker fans, that him coming to LAL was more business than basketball. If he wins a chip in the process, cool....but this move to LA was personal. LBJ have been preparing himself to be a self made conglomerate v. just a basketball player for the past couple of years. Bron is smart af, and hes a shrewd business man.....kinda like his former idol.

I was most impressed by Atlanta's draft. Not that I am a fan of the Hawks at all, but getting both Hunter (who I am super high on) and Reddish is a heck of a haul. Combine those two with Trae and it's arguably the best young core in the league now. Hella athletic out on the perimeter! If Cam proves to be as good as SOME thing he can, that team could be scary good quite soon.

Never forget that he had to be begged into selecting D Wade by Randy Pfund. He wanted Bosh and once he was off the board he wanted Chris Kaman. Rumor has it Pfund all but threatened to quit if they didnt pick Wade.

Get Riley away from all draft night decisions. He ain't even trying and has for some time.

Advertisement
a stupid stupid draft. took a 6'5 dude with a 6'3 wing span when sekou was on the board. i dont mind the stanford dude bc of the athlete he is and i think the heat development program can work w that. bol bol wouldve been nice (tho i dont think **** ever be healthy), but to just move him for nothing (a future second and some cash) is worthless. bleep riley
My main issue with riley is hes clueless about the worth of each draft pick. Far as development goes you got more faith than I do. Who's the last rookie that came in and has actually developed? I guess Winslow but do u think his game is even close to where its needed to be as that high a pick or even near where he should be? Richardson was more impressive as a rookie than he is now and same with bam. Honestly I'd love to see a change with them. I think spoelstra is one of the most overrated coaches ever and pat has certainly had his time but I think its past him by. He should enjoy life and family. Fresh blood that values the draft and doesnt just give picks away for nothing every year. 3 picks for that Stanford dude is an awful lot. Especially considering the heat is gonna be exactly what they are for God knows how long unless they hit big in free agency & that wont be enough to get a ring again on it's own. My bad. I got my rant out of the way. **** just ****es me off so much every year between the Knicks and the heat with how each of them run their organizations. It's like they think being a 6 7 or 8 seed in a **** east is all that matters.

Never forget that he had to be begged into selecting D Wade by Randy Pfund. He wanted Bosh and once he was off the board he wanted Chris Kaman. Rumor has it Pfund all but threatened to quit if they didnt pick Wade.

Get Riley away from all draft night decisions. He ain't even trying and has for some time.

He also wanted to pick Westbrook over Michael Beasley.

**** yeah. He valued darko more than any of them and that's just crazy. He has no clue how to evaluate players. Anyone he has ever hit on he lucked into. Best one besides wade he ever drafted himself was probably kurt Thomas and that's just sad honestly... I just dont understand how Mickey doesnt understand this long time ago and hire someone for draft purposes solely.

I think Micky is waiting for his son to get a little bit more seasoning and then he'll hand him the keys, Til then, he's okay just staying afloat in mediocrity unless and absolute HR becomes available.

Advertisement
My main issue with riley is hes clueless about the worth of each draft pick. Far as development goes you got more faith than I do. Who's the last rookie that came in and has actually developed? I guess Winslow but do u think his game is even close to where its needed to be as that high a pick or even near where he should be? Richardson was more impressive as a rookie than he is now and same with bam. Honestly I'd love to see a change with them. I think spoelstra is one of the most overrated coaches ever and pat has certainly had his time but I think its past him by. He should enjoy life and family. Fresh blood that values the draft and doesnt just give picks away for nothing every year. 3 picks for that Stanford dude is an awful lot. Especially considering the heat is gonna be exactly what they are for God knows how long unless they hit big in free agency & that wont be enough to get a ring again on it's own. My bad. I got my rant out of the way. **** just ****es me off so much every year between the Knicks and the heat with how each of them run their organizations. It's like they think being a 6 7 or 8 seed in a **** east is all that matters.

well, winslow dropped for a reason that draft. he fell to heat. hes got small hands, was a poor FT shooter in college (his shot was all kinds of awful), and struggled to finish. issue now is the heat didnt trade goran when they finally found a position for winslow in the league. rich is limited. he developed his game, but hes got a ceiling. he was a four year guy at UT (so there wasnt much more room to grow compared to a bam or winslow) and hes been a great value, but one you turn into a star when the time is right (last year for butler). the heat, under this group (rileys guys are gone as far scouting and coaching staff) have done a great job comparatively esp in the g league. riley cost us the next few years w the bad summer w dion jj and KO. took a bad gamble on those guys (mainly JJ and dion concerning length of contracts). Bam was absolutely better last year and idk if many would argue with that otherwise. now that hassan is likely gone, **** get the minutes he shouldve been getting and hopefully well see a further development w a jumper and more ball handling from him

He also wanted to pick Westbrook over Michael Beasley.

and also wanted to take the boston trade over selecting winslow (remember no one expected the drop so they didnt have him come for workouts). now, in hindsight, id take winslow too so it worked out for the heat

Yawn, it's a 3 person draft, everyone else is just a guy. Maybe someone comes out of nowhere and becomes a star but I doubt. NBA drafts have been low on star talent for a while now. No one the Heat got at 13 was going to be a star. College is exposing a lot "can't miss" guys out of HS like Kevin Porter Jr and Nassir Little. Guys who everyone thought were top level guys and then they were just average in college. **** you could even argue Barrett is no sure thing at #3 after watching him at Duke. Only a handful of teams are hitting every pick and I would argue the Heat have done well the last few years from where they are picking with Winslow, Bam and finding Rich in the second round. They just haven't had enough picks because of that Dragic trade. They got forced into trading up to draft that bum Shabazz Napier by the worst talent evaulator in the league in LeBron. The odds of finding a star in the teens and lower with the lack of premier talent coming into the league is tough. Spurs found Kwahi but they might be the best in the business. Best bet is probably an overseas guy because they generally have more room to grow by coming to play better talent here in America. Giannis and Jokic two examples there.

and also wanted to take the boston trade over selecting winslow (remember no one expected the drop so they didnt have him come for workouts). now, in hindsight, id take winslow too so it worked out for the heat

The biggest issue for the Heat at this point are these massive extensions to above average players. They were so worried about losing Whiteside, Tyler Johnson, Ryan Andersen, etc. for nothing that they killed their cap space. When you have Whiteside making $25, James Johnson at $14.6, Luke Babbitt at $14.6, Olynyk at $12.5, and Waiters at $11.5 and also had Ryan Anderson at $20.4, Tyler Johnson at $19.3, that is a huge problem. That is how you prevent yourself from signing max guys in FA and stay just good enough to not get an impact guy in the draft. They are going to have to decide what to do with Winslow and Richardson too, and will likely just repeat the cycle. Obviously the Bosh injury put a wrench in some plans too, but the rest of that is just cap/roster negligence.

Advertisement
Also there is something not right about Bol Bol health wise. It was reported that he was barely 200 pounds. I know he's been out hurt but that's extremely low for guy that's listed at 7'3.

Yawn, it's a 3 person draft, everyone else is just a guy. Maybe someone comes out of nowhere and becomes a star but I doubt. NBA drafts have been low on star talent for a while now. No one the Heat got at 13 was going to be a star. College is exposing a lot "can't miss" guys out of HS like Kevin Porter Jr and Nassir Little. Guys who everyone thought were top level guys and then they were just average in college. **** you could even argue Barrett is no sure thing at #3 after watching him at Duke. Only a handful of teams are hitting every pick and I would argue the Heat have done well the last few years from where they are picking with Winslow, Bam and finding Rich in the second round. They just haven't had enough picks because of that Dragic trade. They got forced into trading up to draft that bum Shabazz Napier by the worst talent evaulator in the league in LeBron. The odds of finding a star in the teens and lower with the lack of premier talent coming into the league is tough. Spurs found Kwahi but they might be the best in the business. Best bet is probably an overseas guy because they generally have more room to grow by coming to play better talent here in America. Giannis and Jokic two examples there.

Agreed - Their drafting for where they sat has been fine. The issue is giving these massive salaries to JAGs that killed any shot of targeting the whales in free agency to put around the Winslow, Richardson, Bam type of pieces. They built nice depth through those draft slots.

The biggest issue for the Heat at this point are these massive extensions to above average players. They were so worried about losing Whiteside, Tyler Johnson, Ryan Andersen, etc. for nothing that they killed their cap space. When you have Whiteside making $25, James Johnson at $14.6, Luke Babbitt at $14.6, Olynyk at $12.5, and Waiters at $11.5 and also had Ryan Anderson at $20.4, Tyler Johnson at $19.3, that is a huge problem. That is how you prevent yourself from signing max guys in FA and stay just good enough to not get an impact guy in the draft. They are going to have to decide what to do with Winslow and Richardson too, and will likely just repeat the cycle. Obviously the Bosh injury put a wrench in some plans too, but the rest of that is just cap/roster negligence.

I knew Whiteside would turn into a headcase once he got his money. I was screaming to let that bum walk when he was a free agent. Never deserved a Max contract. His on ball and pick and roll defense was always trash and I knew it would keep him from further developing because you can't have him on the court in crunch time in today's NBA.

Advertisement

They weren't going to get anything of value for Bol Bol at that point. Like you said they used 3 picks to get up to the top of second round. A lot of people had KZ going late first so they had to give up a lot to get to that spot. It was towards the bottom half of the second and they wanted to recoup one of the picks for the KZ trade which they did but no one was going to give up more just because the dude's name is Bol Bol with his health issues.

anderson was a trade thye got in the tyler deal. he has a partial guarantee so he actually makes liek 14 or so after you waive him. they did it bc his cap hit is lower than tylers. the move yesterday was to trade 13 and osmething to the cavs for JR and 26

anderson was a trade thye got in the tyler deal. he has a partial guarantee so he actually makes liek 14 or so after you waive him. they did it bc his cap hit is lower than tylers. the move yesterday was to trade 13 and osmething to the cavs for JR and 26

Forgot about that. The Tyler deal was a miss on both valuing him and planning out future salary caps. That summer was crazy. Everyone thought the cap was going to continue shooting up.

Advertisement
Back