OT: Mike Elko staying as DC for Texas A&M (Manny Diaz HC watch)

One factor in Diaz decision is the loss of some key guys on defense. Willis, Johnson, Jackson and others will be gone. Manny may feel this defense has reached its pinnacle and next year will be a significant drop off. Common sense for him to leave while the iron is hot. He does not want to have another Texas disaster due to drop off in talent.
That’s a non factor. We got some really good dudes coming in the secondary. Yes big loss in jj and gw. But safety is not a position I’m worried about.
We lost 3 players in the front 7 to the nfl last year and we still balled out.

Advertisement
I just wonder, at this point, with Mork seemingly on ambian most o the time, if he is capable of hiring a good DC, it dosnt seem he is capable of bringing his O into even the 2000's much less the here and now

Advertisement
I just wonder, at this point, with Mork seemingly on ambian most o the time, if he is capable of hiring a good DC, it dosnt seem he is capable of bringing his O into even the 2000's much less the here and now
Hiring a great DC is even more important with Richt ******** around, calling plays, and devoting less time to the defense than most other head coaches

Advertisement
The problem with the narrative of Manny "cutting his teeth" as a HC somewhere before returning here as ours is as problematic as it is too forward thinking.

What if Manny only does good there and not great? The same people pining for Luigi if he's just mediocre at Oregon will be contorting themselves to make a case for his return as they turn his good defenses here into legendary ones with revisionist history sunglasses while justifying any shortcomings he has while being "handcuffed" at Temple. I mean what are the chances of anyone "killing it" at Temple longterm? Or will we just be rolling the dice again on someone with Geoff Collins/Matt Rhule/Steve Addazio level of "success"?

If his "dream" is to return here then I personally want him coming back from a real power 5 program or to have just stayed here and produced consistently excellent defenses. Otherwise he should just accept that this is purely a financial move to Philly.
Urban went to Florida from Utah.some here want him as our coach.same token cmr came here after getting fired at Georgia.now which coach would you rather have urban from a non power 5 to a power 5 coach cmr.

Advertisement
UM needs to step up and do what it takes to keep Manny. This is not the time to lose the best thing you’ve got going for you. Our recruiting class would absolutely implode and if would take years to recover from that. No chance guys like Tyrique or Bogle come here if Diaz leaves.

Advertisement
Elko was making 1.8 mil this year. A&M probably offered more than Temple would pay. Miami isn't going to give Manny 2 mil but I would think 1.5 mil would get him to stay. Miami needs to get out in front of this instead of waiting like we always do.

This. This program can not afford to lose its championship caliber DC a week before signing day after such a disastrous season. Would be crippling for us.

Unbiased opinion as a canes fan and a South Jersey native. Don Brown makes the most sense. If you compare the two DCs on production, you could argue a wash. But Brown had success at BC and has pulled some ballers from Jersey, which has become an area of strength for Temple. Has Manny ever recruited the area, have any ties, or any real familiarity with the area?

Advertisement
Back