OT: Mike Elko staying as DC for Texas A&M (Manny Diaz HC watch)

Some reporter dude on twitter said earlier that from people he talked to he got the sense that elko was the top choice.

Advertisement
1544629909383.png

It’s a solid stepping off job for a lot of the guys on the list who have ties to NE. I don’t think saying it’s a bad idea for Diaz is wrong at same time. He is a SE guy.

Temple would be a great job for Don Brown
Something like LaTech would be a great job for Manny Diaz. Maybe even ECU.

I’m with you on your view. My only caveat is if indeed the roster and schedule is set up for a 10+ win season like @jhg said then that would be a good boost and look for Diaz as a HC. Sometimes you have to set the pieces up for your next move like playing chess. A 10 win season followed by another 8 or 9 wins season with Richt possibly on the out or retiring by then would put Diaz in perfect position to transition back as Miami HC.

This would make the NE ties not so important and significant if the job is only looked at as a 2 year max stepping stone job like it was for the last HC Collins.

Of course these are all hypotheticals, but sometimes you have to play those risky games.

Like the last 3 HC to come out of there? The last 3 coaches all got P5 jobs.

Because of this I really wouldn’t be surprised to see them hire someone who’s not on the up and up as I’m sure they’d like some stability for a change. Diaz would likely leave in 2-3 years whereas Foley, Schiano, Brown etc. would probably stick around awhile.

Advertisement
It’s a solid stepping off job for a lot of the guys on the list who have ties to NE. I don’t think saying it’s a bad idea for Diaz is wrong at same time. He is a SE guy.

Temple would be a great job for Don Brown
Something like LaTech would be a great job for Manny Diaz. Maybe even ECU.

We're a better job than both of those, and Florida has always been very important for us. Collins had very few ties to the NE and did fine.

If he’s not in the running Miami needs to announce it. Until then... he’s in the running. Does absolutely no good to let the rumors keep swirling and not squash them. Michigan also hasn’t said anything about Don Brown and same with OSU and Schiano.

Rumor is money was an issue with Elko because of what he makes at A&M. My gut says Schiano or Diaz. Don Brown only if he just has an itch to be a HC and make close to what he does now

Advertisement
If he’s not in the running Miami needs to announce it. Until then... he’s in the running. Does absolutely no good to let the rumors keep swirling and not squash them. Michigan also hasn’t said anything about Don Brown and same with OSU and Schiano.

Rumor is money was an issue with Elko because of what he makes at A&M. My gut says Schiano or Diaz. Don Brown only if he just has an itch to be a HC and make close to what he does now

Unless they gave him a substantial raise, money isn't an issue. I saw him getting a raise to $2.1M. Rhule made $2.45M and Collins made $2M, so $2.1M isn't an issue. Maybe he wanted an all star staff, and we couldn't afford a $4M+ coaching staff. idk

The problem with the narrative of Manny "cutting his teeth" as a HC somewhere before returning here as ours is as problematic as it is too forward thinking.

What if Manny only does good there and not great? The same people pining for Luigi if he's just mediocre at Oregon will be contorting themselves to make a case for his return as they turn his good defenses here into legendary ones with revisionist history sunglasses while justifying any shortcomings he has while being "handcuffed" at Temple. I mean what are the chances of anyone "killing it" at Temple longterm? Or will we just be rolling the dice again on someone with Geoff Collins/Matt Rhule/Steve Addazio level of "success"?

If his "dream" is to return here then I personally want him coming back from a real power 5 program or to have just stayed here and produced consistently excellent defenses. Otherwise he should just accept that this is purely a financial move to Philly.

Advertisement
FWIW, no one has any idea who our finalists are. This is all speculation.

You’re right, Diaz would announce it if he wasn’t in the running. So.... he’s in the running.

Advertisement
On the bright side... sure has been a while since we’ve had a coordinator hired away for a HC gig.

Because of this I really wouldn’t be surprised to see them hire someone who’s not on the up and up as I’m sure they’d like some stability for a change. Diaz would likely leave in 2-3 years whereas Foley, Schiano, Brown etc. would probably stick around awhile.
I know their fans on Twitter are saying the same. They are basically saying Manny would be another "interim" coach and they want Brown as he will stay with the team for a while. We will see though.

Advertisement
Back