OT: Mike Elko staying as DC for Texas A&M (Manny Diaz HC watch)

Advertisement
I hope this is not the writing on the wall that we are losing Diaz for the HC at Temple. They both were listed as the top runners for the job. If Diaz does get the job, I guess there are both positives and negatives that could come from such a move both short term and long term.

Before the season, people hinted at Diaz being the next Miami HC. I said I'd prefer for him to cut his teeth at a lower school for a couple of years first. I'm quickly regretting my words.

Before the season, people hinted at Diaz being the next Miami HC. I said I'd prefer for him to cut his teeth at a lower school for a couple of years first. I'm quickly regretting my words.

That is one of the potential positives that could come from this long term if it happens. The excuse of him not having experience as a HC and the negatives that would come from promoting a coordinator to HC would be non existent if and when we are searching for a HC in a few years.

Advertisement
That is one of the potential positives that could come from this long term if it happens. The excuse of him not having experience as a HC and the negatives that would come from promoting a coordinator to HC would be non existent if and when we are searching for a HC in a few years.

True. It would potentially be sacrificing the short term for the long term. If Manny does get the Temple job, I hope he kills it over there.

Who cares. I have given Diaz the benefit of the doubt because of the D's performance this year and his willingness to make adjustments as needed, but I'm still not fully sold on him. We didn't play an offense with a pulse this year, and my gut tells me dabo would still shred this defense apart.

Hope he stays, but not overly concerned if he doesn't. Defense won't be the issue at Miami as long as we play an aggressive style.

Interim head coach has a lot of momentum, so curious to see if the administration buys his enthusiasm.

Advertisement
Well, at least we no longer have to worry about Jimbo stealing Manny (and Patke and Banda) when Elko takes the Temple job.

Interim head coach has a lot of momentum, so curious to see if the administration buys his enthusiasm.
I was thinking the same thing. His previous record as a HC is looking up at mediocre, but that might not bother Temple.

This is not good. That guy was the front runner. Was hoping to get another year or two from Manny.

Advertisement
giphy.gif

Who cares. I have given Diaz the benefit of the doubt because of the D's performance this year and his willingness to make adjustments as needed, but I'm still not fully sold on him. We didn't play an offense with a pulse this year, and my gut tells me dabo would still shred this defense apart.

Hope he stays, but not overly concerned if he doesn't. Defense won't be the issue at Miami as long as we play an aggressive style.

While I don't disagree with you, let's not forget that Mark Richt hired Willie Martinez to be his DC at Georgia. So, just assuming any next DC would have an equally aggressive philosophy is not necessarily correct.

Advertisement
While I don't disagree with you, let's not forget that Mark Richt hired Willie Martinez to be his DC at Georgia. So, just assuming any next DC would have an equally aggressive philosophy is not necessarily correct.

Good point. I guess I underestimate how clueless Richt is.

Advertisement
Back