OT: Maryland vs. Minnesota

Advertisement
Yea, but he’s not an inanimate chess piece to be moved around on a board. He himself would actually want to sit out a year and transfer here.

Since Miami didn't offer, there is no way to know. Maybe he would have chosen Maryland anyways. The one thing I know is that family is extremely important to him, so if he'd had an opportunity to be near his brother and compete for a starting job at Miami, I personally think he would have chosen us.

Since Miami didn't offer, there is no way to know. Maybe he would have chosen Maryland anyways. The one thing I know is that family is extremely important to him, so if he'd had an opportunity to be near his brother and compete for a starting job at Miami, I personally think he would have chosen us.

Did Miami not offer or have any conversations with him or people associated with him or is that your assumption? How would you know that? Just asking since even if they did they could not comment on it. Also, would we know if there was even any interest from the family in Miami.

Yes, he looked bad his first game as QB. So what? If you saw what he did in HS (in two different states), it's pretty clear that was an aberration. I know he's no Kenny Pickett, but I think he's going to put up outstanding numbers this season.

And what makes you think this game wasn’t the aberration?

He played why is clearly a bad Minnesota team,let’s see what he does next week

Advertisement
And what makes you think this game wasn’t the aberration?

He played why is clearly a bad Minnesota team,let’s see what he does next week

The reason I think the first game was an aberration and this one wasn't, is that the kid was on pace to shatter passing records in Hawaii (and there have been some good ones there) and then had one of the best seasons for a QB in Bama HS football history. It's an extraordinary track record of success. Plus on top of all that he is extremely coachable. The big knock on him is that he isn't as mobile as Tua (he's more of a passer) and he's smaller. But the kid can make NFL throws.

Ruben Hyppolite gonna waste his career playing for Maryland...

I hope for his sake he hits the Portal & plays somewhere that can actually field a team that can win more than 2-4 games a year. (And yes I would take him here if he wanted to come lol)

Locksley is never going to turn MD into even a halfway decent team, they'll be battling with Rutgers for worst team in the B1G every year, no kid with any kind of serious talent should ever wanna play for them.

Believe me i tried EL. lol.

Locksley is a **** of a recruiter and he was slowplayed. Locksley also had a relationship with our DC at the time who was the closest to RUB. Ruben would be a 3 year starter at UM.

Advertisement
It was manufactured on the board because his brother was going to the Fins so that meant he was going to us. Thankfully, the experts on the board assured us all that he wasn’t a take and that he should took to FIU or FAU.

So he was never interested in us ?

The reason I think the first game was an aberration and this one wasn't, is that the kid was on pace to shatter passing records in Hawaii (and there have been some good ones there) and then had one of the best seasons for a QB in Bama HS football history. It's an extraordinary track record of success. Plus on top of all that he is extremely coachable. The big knock on him is that he isn't as mobile as Tua (he's more of a passer) and he's smaller. But the kid can make NFL throws.

I never watched him other than a few highlights before tonight. He has a live arm and good speed. Looked accurate. Nailed several back shoulder throws in traffic. Has a lot of games left,, but based of just one game, I was impressed. Lot more games to go.

It was manufactured on the board because his brother was going to the Fins so that meant he was going to us. Thankfully, the experts on the board assured us all that he wasn’t a take and that he should took to FIU or FAU.

I bumped the thread from earlier in the year. Lots of posters saying he was barely a G5 caliber QB. I think there might have been only 3 or 4 of us who knew the kid was the goods. Maybe I should start putting together QB scouting reports like Roman.

Advertisement
Believe me i tried EL. lol.

Locksley is a **** of a recruiter and he was slowplayed. Locksley also had a relationship with our DC at the time who was the closest to RUB. Ruben would be a 3 year starter at UM.
Only if he had 6 years eligibility. MCCLOUD and Jennings the wave. 🤢

I never watched him other than a few highlights before tonight. He has a live arm and good speed. Looked accurate. Nailed several back shoulder throws in traffic. Has a lot of games left,, but based of just one game, I was impressed. Lot more games to go.

I'll repost what I said to you back in March (and I'm not trying to put you on the spot or call you out, it's just that I explained it well there and don't feel like retyping it)
-------

Tua is a true dual threat; Taulia is more of a pocket passer. However, I think you are vastly underrating how good a passer Taulia is.

Hawaii's all time HS passing record is 8201 yards over four seasons (set in 2018 by named Dillon Gabriel, who broke Tuas record of around 8100 yards). Taulia had 6703 after his sophomore season. He was within 1500 yards of the all time passer in state history with TWO full seasons to go. And this wasn't just a overblown number because of weak HS football in Hawaii.

In his junior and senior years playing Alabama HS football, he passed for 7504 yards in just 2 years- the Alabama HS record of 10772 was set by a fella named Jamarcus Russell over a 4 year period. He was also a 64% passer for his career, so I don't know where you get the idea of inaccuracy.

Taulia is basically the textbook Urban Meyer QB- well coached with an understanding of
college offense (June Jones was his OC at Kapolei HS in HI), a TD machine (135 TDs), can improvise when plays break down, cannon arm (beat all QBs at Elite 11 with 65 yard toss), and a hypercompetitive player that hates losing. He's not a NFL QB like Tua, but he is more than capable of being an elite college QB. I think he balls at Maryland (shows that he wants to step out of his brothers shadow), and in a couple years Canes fans will be whining that Miami didn't try hard enough to sign him.

And yes- I would be saying the same thing if his name was Ricky Bobby, not Tagavoila. I am a big believer in Urban Meyers QB philosophy, but most Miami fans are still obsessed with getting NFL-sized QBs to run a pro style offense.

Advertisement
I bumped the thread from earlier in the year. Lots of posters saying he was barely a G5 caliber QB. I think there might have been only 3 or 4 of us who knew the kid was the goods. Maybe I should start putting together QB scouting reports like Roman.

Yea I never said whether he was good or bad, I just asked the rhetorical question would we be talking about him if he wasn’t Tua’s brother because I really didn’t know jackshīt about him or what kind of talent he had.

So he was never interested in us ?
I have no idea. I agree with @TimeB0mb that It is reasonable to think he MIGHT have been interested in playing near his brother based on the family’s history but I don’t know that and neither did the posters on the board. It was speculation. Not far-fetched in my opinion but it wasn’t substantiated by anyone with connections. He may have had a relationship with Lochsley and maybe we never really reached out???

But what is a fact is that a lot of posters were saying that he wasn’t that good and should look at FIU/FAU. And it was done dismissively so it’s interesting to see this now.

I have no idea. I agree with @TimeB0mb that It is reasonable to think he MIGHT have been interested in playing near his brother based on the family’s history but I don’t know that and neither did the posters on the board. It was speculation. Not far-fetched in my opinion but it wasn’t substantiated by anyone with connections. He may have had a relationship with Lochsley and maybe we never really reached out???

But what is a fact is that a lot of posters were saying that he wasn’t that good and should look at FIU/FAU. And it was done dismissively so it’s interesting to see this now.
Yeah he would of been a good option for us to take considering we have no recruiting options at QB. Him and TVD competing for QB1 in 2021/22 would of been quite the battle

Advertisement
Back