OT: Jameson Williams torn ACL

Advertisement
I mentioned it in game thread, OSU got Biletnikoff runner ups sitting on bench and can let bama have em because they stack the talent soooo high.. Dude wasnt even missed and they have two starters sit in rose bowl and Baby Harrison catches 3 TDs and Njigba goes nuclear..
Crazy talent

Might have had 4 or 5 eventual first-round WRs on their 2021 team

I stopped watching the game after Williams got hurt. Hard enough to watch two SEC teams play in a rematch, but even harder when it's not full strength vs full strength, with Bama #2 WR already out

Crazy talent

Might have had 4 or 5 eventual first-round WRs on their 2021 team
We had a thread on here maybe 2 offseasons ago, how the game was changing and these teams were stacking WR at an alarming rate.. Bama had what 4 1st round wr in last two years, LSU with jefferson/chase/Marshall etc, Okla, OSU, Clemson all stacked that talent and won a ton of games because most teams might have 1 good corner but not 2. Obviously teams like Bama and UGA stack talent EVERYWHERE and dominate the lines also but in recent years the emphasis on wr is incredible.

Is Hartline that good of a coach ? I know they be stacking highly rated guys but it’s like they have superstar after superstar at that position .

Advertisement
Terrible news. Hope he makes it up and more on his next contract and through insurance.

As for the question raised in the OP: if a kid sits out the CFP for fear of getting injured, I wouldn't draft him. That same behavior will resurface when you're paying him in the NFL.
Terrible take. You're punishing them for securing their future. Is that fair? Williamson before last night's game was a lock to be a 1st rounder. Williamson has now lost Millions. His family and future generations could have benefited from that money. You have kids sitting out of the **** Rose Bowl to preserve their bodies and secure their futures. Do I like it? Of course not, but I get it and respect it.

I'm all for the kids doing what's best for them. They don't get a penny from the billions ESPN, NCAA, and the respective schools made off of the game last night.

He’s still gonna be the first WR off the board. ACL injuries aren’t held in the same regard as they used to be.
Want to bet a small island off the coast of Haiti that he won't be the first WR taken in the draft?

What team is going to draft a player in the 1st round who may not even be able to contribute until mid season or end of season. What's to say he won't need a whole year to heal up?

Advertisement
Want to bet a small island off the coast of Haiti that he won't be the first WR taken in the draft?

What team is going to draft a player in the 1st round who may not even be able to contribute until mid season or end of season. What's to say he won't need a whole year to heal up?
Because this isn’t 2005

Advertisement
Seeing it live, it looked like an ACL and today it was confirmed. Terrible. Despite my hatred for Bama, I feel horrible for the kid as he's probably going to lose a couple mil by dropping in the first.

So this poses the question: Are more and more elite prospects simply going to sit out CFP and Bowl games to preserve their health and prepare for the draft? It's already happening to a lesser degree, but I think that it's going to become closer to the norm very soon, and honestly, I can't blame any kid who decides to sit out the final game with their future in mind.
CFP no, other bowl games sure. This is another reason to expand the playoff

And we just keep adding games with an 8 or 12 team playoff? At what point are we asking college kids to play too many games
12 regular seasons games
Conference championship game
3 rounds of playoff once expansion happens, and possibly 4
So to win the NC, a college player is playing 16/17 games?

NFL is 17 regular season and up to 4 games if a wild card team reaches the Super Bowl
21 games?

Football is a collision sport. That’s a lot of car accidents. And ultimately a lot of CTE.

It's not about him, it's about Saban, and and about a million or so rednecks that live vicariously through their football team because their state sucks. Bama fans throw their own players under the bus faster than any other program, because for them, it is only about the program.

He made the choice to play for that, so **** 'em. He can wear that scarlet 'A' for the rest of his life, enjoy the ****** city of Tuscaloosa on crutches.

Advertisement
Terrible news. Hope he makes it up and more on his next contract and through insurance.

As for the question raised in the OP: if a kid sits out the CFP for fear of getting injured, I wouldn't draft him. That same behavior will resurface when you're paying him in the NFL.

Also, NFL contracts are notoriously (mostly) un-guaranteed and the rookie deals are pretty much slotted.

I hope the NFL moves to more guaranteed money and stops playing games with "signing bonuses". It's not like the NFL is hurting for money.

Absolutely not for a CFP game. Perhaps the NCAA or individual teams can set up insurance policies for draft eligible players before the CFP starts. That would be a red flag if I’m a NFL GM.

The NCAA using its riches to protect/benefit student-athletes? Surely you jest...

Advertisement
Back