OT/ Isley Brothers & Earth, Wind & Fire

Advertisement
I love the Ohio Players. They were on the midnight special...don’t k know how to load on here. A must to check out though. They sounded so good live, and the musicians were just awesome. And their voices were incredible...no back tracking the vocals or lip syncing. Until this thread I somehow missed the Isley Brothers...I had heard the name. But hey, something fresh and real good to check out.👍

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Going through my collection now & I'm telling yall I got some gems.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Don't let the Chappelle show skit fool you, Rick James is legitimately one of the greatest musicians & songwriters in history.

He was a phenomenal musician & is a Legendary performer.
It’s funny you mentioned the Chappell show. I had heard his music but had never seen him perform it, so my only exposure to to him were the Chappell Charlie Murphy skits. So I was pretty surprised to how he performed..very charismatic. Actually reminded me of rock front men like Roger Daultry and David Lee Roth. Was surprised to see him playing bass and keys too. 👍

Advertisement
Jimi also was in the great Little Richards band and Ike Turners.

Jimmy was the greatest ever and great anywhere he played. So many great stories about Jimmy because he came up so fast and nobody had really heard of him until he showed up and started to play. Everyone was like what planet did he just come in from. This a great one from Chris Squire, founder of Yes right when Jimmy came to London. A great and funny story worth the time. People had just found out about Hendrix and wanted to hear him to see if this phenom was for real. So sad that he died at 27 years old.

Roger Troutman was another Elite multi-instrumentalist in music history, people really don't understand how gifted he was because they only pay attention to the Talk-Box, but people don't know he was equally as cold on the guitar as he was on the keys. He was cut from the same cloth as Prince as a musician & composer, his arrangements were other wordly.

He comes from Ohio just like The Isley Brothers, Parliament Funkadelic, Bootsy Collins, Bobby Womack, The Ojays, The Ohio Players, The Legendary Screamin Jay Hawkins, Bull Moose Jackson (who was a beast Saxophonist), The Dazz Band & several others.

Roger was one of the most prolific songwriters & producers, he was a phenemonal creator & true visionary, he basically revolutionized the modulated sound decades before autotune became popular, but he didn't use it how modern artists use it today to mask their inability to sing, he used the talk-box as an instrument to assist with the overall ambiance of the music.

Roger was special, he was your favorite artists favorite artist. Both Michael Jackson & Prince respected him a great deal & they (Roger/Zapp) even went on tour together with Prince back in the day because they were both label mates on Warner Bros. Roger actually wrote Itchin for Your Twitchin as a way to pay homage & respect to Prince & years later Prince made Dance 4 Me off his LotusFlower album as a way to pay his respects back to Roger.
Ohio: Levert, Switch, The Rude Boys, Men At Large, and Me 😂

Jimi also was in the great Little Richards band and Ike Turners.

Yup, Jimi played for Sam Cooke, Ike Turner, Little Richard, James Brown, Wilson Pickett, The Isley Brothers, Buddy Guy & BB King.

He was heavy on the chittlin' circuit down south which is where he met most of those artists & played with them, but nearly every one of those major artists & bands he played with would eventually end up firing him because he was just too good & would outshine the lead player & front man lol.

It wasn't until he would move up to NY & join on with Curtis Knights band that he took off & became the icon that he would be. He was very well known amongst all the musicians on the scene during his time, but he hadn't become a global star yet. Then when he went to London he took off.

Advertisement
Yup, Jimi played for Sam Cooke, Ike Turner, Little Richard, James Brown, Wilson Pickett, The Isley Brothers, Buddy Guy & BB King.

He was heavy on the chittlin' circuit down south which is where he met most of those artists & played with them, but nearly every one of those major artists & bands he played with would eventually end up firing him because he was just too good & would outshine the lead player & front man lol.

It wasn't until he would move up to NY & join on with Curtis Knights band that he took off & became the icon that he would be. He was very well known amongst all the musicians on the scene during his time, but he hadn't become a global star yet. Then when he went to London he took off.
Hendrix was always very quietly bothered by his lack of black fans at the time. He even tried to do a concert in Harlem to remedy this and it had disastrous results. **** shame too. As you listed, he played w some of the greats up and down the chittlin circuit.

Black audiences didnt really appreciate him like they should have until he was gone, but it says something that all the greats knew he was special (a common theme when they talk about him was "this guy was too good for my band").

Hendrix was always very quietly bothered by his lack of black fans at the time. He even tried to do a concert in Harlem to remedy this and it had disastrous results. **** shame too. As you listed, he played w some of the greats up and down the chittlin circuit.

Black audiences didnt really appreciate him like they should have until he was gone, but it says something that all the greats knew he was special (a common theme when they talk about him was "this guy was too good for my band").
My late father’s favorite musicians were:

1) Jimi Hendrix
2) John Coltrane
3) Miles Davis

This is what he played in the house. They have a special place with me.

Advertisement
Back