OT/ Isley Brothers & Earth, Wind & Fire

Bruh, you killing me. “You got me”, “Coming where from Im from”, “Long Walk” and “Soul Sista”… one bad dude.

The first time I heard Meshell Ndegeocello it was her song “If that’s your boyfriend (he wasn’t last night)” … but she never got as big as her talent.

Great list you on point!

I would put Minnie Ripperton right up there with any of those great ladies you listed. She would probably crack glass with her high notes.

Had a big hit with “Loving You”. GREAT vocals and strong back up band, but the consistency of the writing/lyrics held her back in my opinion.

She died tragically of cancer. She was the mother of comedian/ actress Maya Rudolph ( of Saturday Night Live game).

Advertisement

I would put Minnie Ripperton right up there with any of those great ladies you listed. She would probably crack glass with her high notes.

Had a big hit with “Loving You”. GREAT vocals and strong back up band, but the consistency of the writing/lyrics held her back in my opinion.

She died tragically of cancer. She was the mother of comedian/ actress Maya Rudolph ( of Saturday Night Live game).

Loved her....her Octaves were off the charts...Very Sad...as was Tammy Terrell, which sent Marvin Gaye towards a tailspin....They said he never fully recovered from her death....Imagine what the 2 of them would've made...

Advertisement

My jam!

And while were on the topic of Multi-instrumentalists Bassists, gotta put the U's very own Legend & Icon Jaco Pastorius.

This dude was **** Alien! His ability to hit elite level harmonics on a fretless bass is unmatched, without doubt one of the top 5-10 greatest bassists of All-time, with a very strong argument for #1, basically he's up there with Larry Graham, James Jamerson, Stanley Clarke, Robbie Shakespeare, Aston Barrett, Victor Wooten & Verdine White.

There probably isn't a more technically intricate player than Jaco, the man had a Doctorate in chord subbing progressions.

I have a cousin who’s played bass for over 40 years. He’s been in several club bands in and around Miami for all those years. Jaco is one of his heroes along with Chris Squire of Yes.

Advertisement

And while were on the topic of Multi-instrumentalists Bassists, gotta put the U's very own Legend & Icon Jaco Pastorius.

This dude was **** Alien! His ability to hit elite level harmonics on a fretless bass is unmatched, without doubt one of the top 5-10 greatest bassists of All-time, with a very strong argument for #1, basically he's up there with Larry Graham, James Jamerson, Stanley Clarke, Robbie Shakespeare, Aston Barrett, Victor Wooten & Verdine White.

There probably isn't a more technically intricate player than Jaco, the man had a Doctorate in chord subbing progressions.

Jaco was a Cane?!

Excellent thread.
This was live in concert in Houston in 1976. Should start at the 40:48 minute mark with the late-great-died-way-too-early Glenn Goins on vocals. Edit: Actually, it starts with George Clinton's no singing *** on vocals, but Glenn Goins comes in after him. BTW, Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. made George Clinton an honorary member this past summer. A little Parliament Funkadelic.

LOL, Clinton's a ****iin' crook, not only did He rob His artists, but He gave away the rights to their music to some Colombian guy for some sugar booger.

Loved her....her Octaves were off the charts...Very Sad...as was Tammy Terrell, which sent Marvin Gaye towards a tailspin....They said he never fully recovered from her death....Imagine what the 2 of them would've made...

Imagine a woman as beautiful as Tammy Terrel singing you to sleep every night.

It would be hard not to go crazy losing her the way he did.

Advertisement
Songs of my youth, loved them both. EWF was dancin' music and that fat horn section. This song is a week early, can't believe no one posted it up yet, its freakin' September and we playin FOOTBALL!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back