OT: Is It Happening? Alabama in Hot Water

Next years Turbotax will include the question:

"Are you a college recruit who received a bribe to attend a particular school?
1. If yes, did you go to Alabama?
a. If your answer is yes, congratulations, your bribe is tax exempt!
b. If no, then unfortunately you may owe the government money."

+1.

Clever.

Brought it strong as contender for post of the day.

Advertisement
That crap was going on looooong before Butch ever set foot on that campus and the NCAA itself completely exonerated him. If you don't line the guy, fine. But to assassinate his character based on a proven lie is a touch much.
Thank You....Lol....Another Butch hater...If we would have hired him instead of Shannon or Golden...We'd have already been in the Playoff....

That crap was going on looooong before Butch ever set foot on that campus and the NCAA itself completely exonerated him. If you don't line the guy, fine. But to assassinate his character based on a proven lie is a touch much.
Wrong sir he was exonerated for the grades scandal never anything for players getting paid. He has been at three colleges as a HC and two of the three have been found guilty on some level of paying players. That’s not assassinating his character. Also don’t know him personally to like or dislike him. Like what he built here (paying for the players or not) he made my time at the University a blast.

Advertisement
Wrong he was vindicated on the grades scandal. Nothing to do with paying players
Only reason he didnt coach for a few yrs was because of his buyout....Thats why he took the job with ESPN as a commentator and as a consultant with the Bucs before that....

Your a F-ing liar...He was TOTALLY vindicated from Everything...Your talking to someone who's close friends with him...and have had this convo with him at Nauseum....
You could be his dad I don’t care. What did I lie about? While coaching at Miami players where “paid” and now at UNC while he was the coach players where “paid”. If he would have come back to Miami after the scandal we would have never been out of it. It was under his watch that it started, don’t care if he had direct knowledge or not it’s the same. What has he done since leaving UM that says he would have use back in the playoffs? I don’t hate anything about what he did or him.

Coca Cola's headquarters is in Atlanta. They have a sponsorship contract with Alabama athletics but they have the similar sponsorship deals with dozens of athletic departments including Miami.

How much you wanna bet most of those other Coca Cola district reps aren't graduates and boosters themselves?

I dated a sports agent who was a triple Alabama grad culminating in law school there. We would go to events with certain CC reps when I would around there for depos, etc....let's just say all of the recent football alumni since the Saban era knew where to go when they needed just about anything when in school and immediately afterward depending on how good they were.

All Coca Cola sponsorship contracts with athletic departments may read similarly.....how they are executed by their reps are not equal. I would never throw rocks out of the glass house so to speak, but that would be similar in some respects to expecting Nike to deal with Oregon exactly the same as all other "Nike" schools.

UM

Only reason he didnt coach for a few yrs was because of his buyout....Thats why he took the job with ESPN as a commentator and as a consultant with the Bucs before that....
I get that. He was also fired from UNC for them to save face. To try and get ahead of the cheating scandal, it was never said he was there while players where getting paid till now. These are two different scandals.

Advertisement
I get that. He was also fired from UNC for them to save face. To try and get ahead of the cheating scandal, it was never said he was there while players where getting paid till now. These are two different scandals.
Point is....TOTALLY vindicated...No show cause...NOTHING....

You could be his dad I don’t care. What did I lie about? While coaching at Miami players where “paid” and now at UNC while he was the coach players where “paid”. If he would have come back to Miami after the scandal we would have never been out of it. It was under his watch that it started, don’t care if he had direct knowledge or not it’s the same. What has he done since leaving UM that says he would have use back in the playoffs? I don’t hate anything about what he did or him.
Players were paid when Butch was HC??...The FOH with that nonsense....31 Schollies....No TV or Bowl for a yr....NCAA watching UM like a Hawk...but Butch was paying kids....Lol...You cant make this **** up....

Advertisement
How's UM been since Butchs kids left UM after 2004 season??.....

RICO? LOL!
Any lawyers on here care to comment the magnitude of an investigation that would have to take place in order for a judge to agree to this.
RICO give dudes like at least 30-40 years and up.
The manpower and money associated to go ahead with an investigation like that is pretty hefty.
Someone would have had to spill the beans and uncover a huge ammount of tax evasion or fraud.
And I mean huge.
Can you imagine the attorney generals office in Alabama getting a visit from the fbi about investigate bama football?
If you think saban doesn’t get a call within 30 minutes your crazy. How many lawyers, paralegals etc are bama fans in that state? How many judges and prominent lawyers have suits or expensive season tickets in that stadium?
The legal community is small. It’s even smaller in the south.

Last edited:
How much you wanna bet most of those other Coca Cola district reps aren't graduates and boosters themselves?

I dated a sports agent who was a triple Alabama grad culminating in law school there. We would go to events with certain CC reps when I would around there for depos, etc....let's just say all of the recent football alumni since the Saban era knew where to go when they needed just about anything when in school and immediately afterward depending on how good they were.

All Coca Cola sponsorship contracts with athletic departments may read similarly.....how they are executed by their reps are not equal. I would never throw rocks out of the glass house so to speak, but that would be similar in some respects to expecting Nike to deal with Oregon exactly the same as all other "Nike" schools.

UM
The difference is Nike is headquartered in Oregon and Phil Knight is an Oregon alum. The preisdent/CEO of Coke isn't an Alabama alum and their headquarters is in Atlanta. Maybe the local rep in charge of the contracts at Bama is giving away stuff to players but if that's the case, it's purely a regional matter. My sister handles all of Coke's dealings with UM athletics and the only people she ever talks to on campus are Blake James and Deputy AD Jason Layton. If the local rep in Tuscaloosa is participating in some shady tactics that's on the hand of their local branch, not the national brand. I can assure the brass at Coca Cola in South Florida doesn't really give a crap about paying Miami football players.

It's like if a local Chevy dealer was giving away free cars, it would be on the dealership, not General Motors.

Advertisement
The difference is Nike is headquartered in Oregon and Phil Knight is an Oregon alum. The preisdent/CEO of Coke isn't an Alabama alum and their headquarters is in Atlanta. Maybe the local rep in charge of the contracts at Bama is giving away stuff to players but if that's the case, it's purely a regional matter. My sister handles all of Coke's dealings with UM athletics and the only people she ever talks to on campus are Blake James and Deputy AD Jason Layton. If the local rep in Tuscaloosa is participating in some shady tactics that's on the hand of their local branch, not the national brand. I can assure the brass at Coca Cola in South Florida doesn't really give a crap about paying Miami football players.

It's like if a local Chevy dealer was giving away free cars, it would be on the dealership, not General Motors.

That was exactly my point...it is very much a regional thing. I hate it more than anyone, but UM operates on a Vanderbilt / GT level when it comes to this sort of thing, not an Alabama / Georgia level....which makes sense considering the size, etc...but I still hate it. Since you brought it up, local Chevy does quite a bit of "business" in Tuscaloosa as well.

As to Nike, that's why I said in "some respects"...since Knight is an alum. The clear point was that not all Coca Cola contracts are equal, especially in revenue needless to say...which frees those particular local reps up with unparalleled discretion.

UM

Just know this has the potential to grew into a RICO case against the NCAA and these foundations. Somebody is going to flip and if I was the feds, I would go and pick up the girl that just got fired from UGA to get her to flip.

RICO? Uncle Rico??

Will you guys stop throwing about terms you heard on HBO!

You have any idea the multitude of resources required for that?

Do you have any idea the type and magnitude of harm you must evidence to proceed down that line?

The worst that could come of this is financial crimes and IRS issues, there's no murders or extortion.

Stop. Just stop.

RICO? LOL!
Any lawyers on here care to comment the magnitude of an investigation that would have to take place in order for a judge to agree to this.
RICO give dudes like at least 30-40 years and up.
The manpower and money associated to go ahead with an investigation like that is pretty hefty.
Someone would have had to spill the beans and uncover a huge ammount of tax evasion or fraud.
And I mean huge.
Can you imagine the attorney generals office in Alabama getting a visit from the fbi about investigate bama football?
If you think saban doesn’t get a call within 30 minutes your crazy. How many lawyers, paralegals etc are bama fans in that state? How many judges and prominent lawyers have suits or expensive season tickets in that stadium?
The legal community is small. It’s even smaller in the south.

Not to mention extortion, murder, and whole bunch of other nasty things. Sorry Soprano fans, this isn't a RICO case. Ever.

Advertisement
Back