OT: Is It Happening? Alabama in Hot Water

Didn’t LSU already reinstate that basketball coach that was paying recruits?

Rumor I head is that he denied it to the administration. So they reinstated him and when it comes out that he actually did it they can fire him and not have to pay the buyout.

Advertisement
If I was a US attorney working this, I'd want to go after juniors declaring. Work with the IRS and FBI to deminstrate declared low/no income while showing evidence of benefits and unpaid taxes. Threaten to file a charge in April just before the draft. That's leverage. Get the kids to become corroborating witnesses in exchange for immunity. Get names of bagmen, warrants for surveillance based in CI affidavits, and go to town.

It really wouldn't be hard to bust. But nobody has really given a ****.

I hope u don't really believe Alabama is above the Feds. If the Feds wanted to they could end the Alabama dynasty overnight, literally.

and yet they haven't... so ergo alabama is above them.

also only thing that will come of this is NCAA will just make it legal and brush this under the rug.

Advertisement
Just know this has the potential to grew into a RICO case against the NCAA and these foundations. Somebody is going to flip and if I was the feds, I would go and pick up the girl that just got fired from UGA to get her to flip.

and yet they haven't... so ergo alabama is above them.

also only thing that will come of this is NCAA will just make it legal and brush this under the rug.

Alabama is not about the law. That is naive to even think that. All it takes is one soured relationship between the NCAA and the government, one bad business deal, and the Feds could end everything overnight.

Best case scenario is Nick Saban has to live a long life knowing that there’s an * next to all his championships

Advertisement
I remember months back that a an anonymous assistance coach put Saban on blast for cheating. You had the cuckold of ESPN, Mike Greenberg stand on his soap box in his pathetic attempt to defend ol' Nick at all costs citing he doesn't need to cheat.

Not sure if the NCAA does anything, but this situation's different than Shapiro. The findings of the case that will involve Bama will be made public, similar to what's been going on with the basketball side. The feds aren't attached to the NCAA in anyway and aren't reliant on them at all. I said months back that it'll be football's turn, and here we are.

Alabama is not about the law. That is naive to even think that. All it takes is one soured relationship between the NCAA and the government, one bad business deal, and the Feds could end everything overnight.

This mostly true, in theory. In practice, the problem is NCAA officials and Alabaga currently have an incredibly cozy relationship based on the fact that Alabaga is a huge profit generator for the NCAA. Cash is King, and that relationship is likely to remain strong so long as Alabaga continues to bring big $$$ into the NCAA. Until the day the cost of the trouble Alabaga creates for the NCAA exceeds the value of the $$$ Alabaga generates, little is likely to change between them. But the Federal government could drive a wedge in that relationship if they wanted to.

If the NCAA ****es off the wrong individual high enough in the Federal government, or if you have some politically motivated US attorney in a powerful district (DDC, SDNY, or even EDNY) trying to make a name for themselves, or even if the President or a senator gets himself/herself into some trouble and is looking for an easy distraction, the mechanism of the federal government could come down hard on the NCAA. If that happens, they could apply enough pressure that the NCAA would have no choice but to come down hard (or give the impression that they are coming down hard) on Alabaga and other big-time bag schools. It would not quite happen "overnight" because Federal prosecutors like to maintain their conviction rates above 90%, which means by the time the charges are brought all the evidence necessary for a conviction has already been gathered , but it would feel like whiplash once the charges are made public.

Advertisement
This mostly true, in theory. In practice, the problem is NCAA officials and Alabaga currently have an incredibly cozy relationship based on the fact that Alabaga is a huge profit generator for the NCAA. Cash is King, and that relationship is likely to remain strong so long as Alabaga continues to bring big $$$ into the NCAA. Until the day the cost of the trouble Alabaga creates for the NCAA exceeds the value of the $$$ Alabaga generates, little is likely to change between them. But the Federal government could drive a wedge in that relationship if they wanted to.

If the NCAA ****es off the wrong individual high enough in the Federal government, or if you have some politically motivated US attorney in a powerful district (DDC, SDNY, or even EDNY) trying to make a name for themselves, or even if the President or a senator gets himself/herself into some trouble and is looking for an easy distraction, the mechanism of the federal government could come down hard on the NCAA. If that happens, they could apply enough pressure that the NCAA would have no choice but to come down hard (or give the impression that they are coming down hard) on Alabaga and other big-time bag schools. It would not quite happen "overnight" because Federal prosecutors like to maintain their conviction rates above 90%, which means by the time the charges are brought all the evidence necessary for a conviction has already been gathered , but it would feel like whiplash once the charges are made public.

I said overnight as a figure of speech. I know the whole thing wouldn't be done in a day. I meant the Feds could drum up some charges overnight that would be strong enough to bring the NCAA to their knees

I disagree that it will be a bunch of nothing. The FBI is involved and we all know uncle sam wants his money. This cash is getting exchanged tax free. If they would have broke off the government with a percentage they wouldn't be in this position.

They might decide they want more that just taxes —- RICO

Advertisement
I agree with your sentiment, but the feds didn't nail Hollywood or silicon valley elitists. The biggest actress was someone who was on a TV show 30 years ago.

Lori Laughlin is the centerpiece of the Hallmark station. She is in one of the most popular weekly series as well as a second series that shoots about 6-8 shows per season. She is most definitely relevant. I know this because it is on in my house every Sunday night on two stations....... My wife and daughter love her show...

What will likely happen..."OMG, College Football is corrupt! Let's investigate Miami again!"

Advertisement
Back