OT: Is It Happening? Alabama in Hot Water

101.png

Advertisement
Anytime there is a cheating scandal in any sport you can be certain UNC will be involved. It’s amazing they have to cheat to be that bad at football and it always surprises me how they walk away clean and how @JBCanes-NC continues to root for them with such a passion.
Where's my baby blue @JBCanes-NC .

You guys already know how this turns out.

Miami has a convicted felon "booster" who testified in court that he gave free boat rides but no money..... lack of institutional control. Sanctions. Clouds.

Alabama has a convicted felon "booster" who testifies in court that he paid players..... nothing to see here, move along people.

They will skate. Alabama is above the law. Even the Feds can't touch them.

Everybody knows they're paying players. Everybody. Alabama lands whatever recruits they want. And it ain't because Nick Saban is such a smooth talker, or that Tuscaloosa is such a beautiful place to live.

It's bags. Fat, beautiful bags of loot. That's how they're landing everybody. And it's not just this one guy. It's a whole network of boosters, with the full knowledge of the coaches and the school itself.

Nothing is going to come of it. This will be swept under the rug, and it will be business as usual by the time the season starts.
sweep.jpg

Advertisement
Alabama fans and SEC fans are freaking out over there at SEC rant. The NCAA is going to have a tough time protecting Bama and the big schools thanks to the FBI investigations on college basketball are showcasing that boosters and schools are paying recruits in football as well.

This will probably just be more of the same and nothing happens, but things are getting interesting. If the FBI decides just to take a quick look into Alabama because of this investigation, it will be all over and the NCAA wont be able to do anything about it.

Cooperating witness Louis Martin “Marty” Blazer testified Tuesday that he paid between several hundred and several thousand dollars each to family members or associates of football players from Pitt, Penn State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Northwestern, North Carolina and Alabama between 2010-14

I would have bet on it they'll skate like they always do.

Advertisement
The FBI will prosecute individuals working for a show company who paid recruits. The schools are going to claim they had no idea what was going on. In the end, players will get punished, the schools will not.

At least that’s my uneducated guess.

Yeah.. If this is true, Emmert himself better be careful. I'd bet a ******** he knows first hand that some (SEC) schools are doing it, and he has allowed it to continue.

I've always felt like if the FBI ever starts investigating certain schools for paying kids and families, Emmert would immediately 180 the NCAA's position on paying kids. He'll start talking about why its fair, deserved and blah blah blah. He's seen the light. But its just about protecting the brand and income.

I just don't see them being able to take down the big money schools. There are a lot of rich and powerful people connected to schools like Texas and Alabama. I know the FBI is a different animal than the NCAA, but do you actually think Georgia, Texas and Alabama will go down..? Much less at the SAME TIME..? Arizona and Kansas basketball are big, but not in the same stratosphere as Alabama and Texas football. They may be able to take down schools on Arkansas level. But the day Mark Emmert lets his homeboy Nick Saban to go down, will be the day no D replaces Belichick.

Hate to be the guy who quotes himself, but it connects too well.

Emmert knew this was about to happen with Bama (and LSU for the foundation ****). And after all this time, he's open to paying players NOW?? Course he is. He doesn't want his precious SEC getting hit with sanctions. He would change the rules for them before he'll let them go down.

Hate to be the guy who quotes himself, but it connects too well.

Emmert knew this was about to happen with Bama (and LSU for the foundation ****). And after all this time, he's open to paying players NOW?? Course he is. He doesn't want his precious SEC getting hit with sanctions. He would change the rules for them before he'll let them go down.
Don’t be surprised also if he lets each conference pay whatever they think is appropriate. He will say it’s not in his power to tell a conference how much to pay. The sec will say they pay a percentage of revenue for players and they already have a huge revenue stream. So they’ll get away with we pay more cause we make more excuse.
The paying of players is still a sht storm of red tape to navigate through and won’t be decided anytime soon unless they’ve been planning it and holding off just for this same reason.
The schools that get caught already have a pretty good excuse.
They will say hay most of the players that were paid come from an extremely underprivileged demographic with a great deal of complex and devastating social and family issues.

Advertisement
We'll see. If the feds do pursue it, this is above and beyond anything that Mark Emmert or the NCAA can do about it. If these teams are caught red handed by the FBI, there's no skating. The feds don't give a **** about SEC football and their TV ratings.

I tell you again, this ain't gonna stop until you put a couple of recruits' family members behind bars for tax evasion....
... only then would the squealing start.

Its definitely not going to stop by virtue of the corrupt NCAA.

Now, the Nike angle with the feds, anything is possible.....as this has been coming down the pike long before Adidas. As scummy as Avenatti is, there is no doubt he had something on top of what many knew already, just was too stupid about how he approached the matter.

That said, I doubt it touches Alabama football and their basketball isn't much of anything to cause distress. The southern boosters / Coca Cola really make the Tuscaloosa world go round from official visits cash, to jobs for family members, to all kinds of "favors" once they have them on campus. A real slimy underbelly with good ole boys that will shake your hand and look you in the eye like some straight shooter.

The Alabama situation as it stands is what they truly meant when they came up with the term "Good 'ole boys club"...

UM

Advertisement
Only way this gets somewhat under control is if the FBI expands its investigation into college football. Indictments will be flying if the Feds take a serious look. The Feds just nailed a bunch of Hollywood and Silicon Valley elitists bribing their kids into college. Kids play compared to what college football is doing at these schools.

I agree with your sentiment, but the feds didn't nail Hollywood or silicon valley elitists. The biggest actress was someone who was on a TV show 30 years ago.

The Alabama situation as it stands is what they truly meant when they came up with the term "Good 'ole boys club"...

UM
Yeah Bama there but HQ is uGA. If you haven't, suggest read "A Man in Full" by TWolfe for pretty straight look at how they tick. Still holds up today imo.

Its definitely not going to stop by virtue of the corrupt NCAA.

Now, the Nike angle with the feds, anything is possible.....as this has been coming down the pike long before Adidas. As scummy as Avenatti is, there is no doubt he had something on top of what many knew already, just was too stupid about how he approached the matter.

That said, I doubt it touches Alabama football and their basketball isn't much of anything to cause distress. The southern boosters / Coca Cola really make the Tuscaloosa world go round from official visits cash, to jobs for family members, to all kinds of "favors" once they have them on campus. A real slimy underbelly with good ole boys that will shake your hand and look you in the eye like some straight shooter.

UM

Coca Cola's headquarters is in Atlanta. They have a sponsorship contract with Alabama athletics but they have the similar sponsorship deals with dozens of athletic departments including Miami.

Advertisement
Back