OT: HBO's Chernobyl

he is just an opinionated poster like you guys. some of you guys just love to make this stuff personal. i shy away from one-one-one arguments or calling out guys. just don't see the point in message board fights.

I understand where you're coming from but you can be opinionated and NOT derail every thread. This is not personal. Don't even know the guy.

If most everyone disagreed with me on pretty much everything...at the very least, I would take that into consideration.

Advertisement
That's fine. But, if you're going to hijack every thread - then this is the kind of feedback you'll get. At least accept that. It seems like every thread eventually results in you arguing with someone.

Regardless, you can post all you want - but you are a terrible poster and constantly derail thread after thread. You clearly think highly of your opinion and don't seem to value anyone else's. You seem young so a little life advice - the sooner you develop humility, the better off you'll be.

Also, you post in absolutes too much.
Do u want to be muted or no? Most of the things u just b*tched about will go away. If u say no don't ever mention me b*tching again.

I for one am very glad they didnt go the subtitle route. I still haven't made it through narcos as my brain is too **** tired at night to sit there and fast paced read for hours on end. Not saying narcos shouldnt have used subtitles, but im glad Chernobyl did not.

Narcos is one of my favorite shows, but I would have preferred them not to use subtitles.

Advertisement
Exactly. It's just ridiculous for people to argue "speak Russian" for some sort of "realism". The story has already created a fictional "composite character" that is played by Emily Watson, so making all the actors speak Russian isn't going to fix anything.

I just watched Les Miserables on PBS, and every actor had an English (NOT French) accent. It was a great production, and the "realism" didn't suffer. There was actually a nice "making of" bit that showed how they shot the Waterloo scene. Here's a hint - they used special effects, it wasn't 100% "realistic".
Why is the ENGLISH accent always the default accent? Even in the series Rome all the actors are British. In Death of Stalin, other then Tambor and Buscemi, every actor is British.

Do u want to be muted or no? Most of the things u just b*tched about will go away. If u say no don't ever mention me b*tching again.

Are you asking me if I want you to mute me? I suppose that depends - what exactly happens if I'm muted?

How about you put up a poll and let people vote on whether you should be able to post? That way you can handle it all at once rather than muting one by one.

Advertisement
Advertisement
That was crazy. What an epic show.
The series is great, there are times I want to change the station because of the insanity but just keep watching. The coal miners digging ditches with their hats and cranks was an interesting twist. I was yelling at the TV telling the wife to get away from her nuclear husband.

Advertisement
Why is the ENGLISH accent always the default accent? Even in the series Rome all the actors are British. In Death of Stalin, other then Tambor and Buscemi, every actor is British.

It's a relevant question, and I think it is because most TV and film content, at least high-end/big-budget stuff is directed to the English-speaking markets of US/Canada/UK.

More than anything, I think it is less jarring when you hear CONSISTENT accents in a show or movie. I think it is harder to watch a show when there are British accents, French accents, German accents, and Spanish accents competing for your ear. You have that, at times, in a show like Game of Thrones. Some actors (such as Peter Dinklage) switch to British accents to fit in, but others (Pedro Pascal, Sibel Kekilli) stick out.

The UK has a pretty supportive system for the arts, there are a ton of GREAT actors who work for decades without ever having a "hit" movie or TV show. They also do a lot of stage acting throughout their careers. It's much easier to be a longtime "working actor" in the UK than it is in the US.

It's a relevant question, and I think it is because most TV and film content, at least high-end/big-budget stuff is directed to the English-speaking markets of US/Canada/UK.

Definitely easier to understand an english accent, over a russian guy trying to speak english with a heavy russian accent.

Definitely easier to understand an english accent, over a russian guy trying to speak english with a heavy russian accent.

That too.

I have also had a hard time keeping character names straight in this miniseries. Part of it is the Russian names themselves, part of it is that a lot of the characters wear HAZMAT suits or other equipment (or have horrible radiation burns).

That too.

I have also had a hard time keeping character names straight in this miniseries. Part of it is the Russian names themselves, part of it is that a lot of the characters wear HAZMAT suits or other equipment (or have horrible radiation burns).

I think the only two people i can name from the show are boris(stellan skarsgard) and dyatlov. I dont even know the name of who jared harris plays and he is kind of the main character.

Advertisement
Back