OT: HBO's Chernobyl

Advertisement
I haven't watched this series yet, but it's on my list. If anyone is really interested enough to read about the absolute horror that was Chernobyl, I would recommend reading "The Chernobyl Notebook". I read it back when I was working at a nuclear plant, it's written by Grigoriy Medvedev who was Chief Deputy Engineer for unit 1. To rise to a post like this in the Soviet Union was to obtain a lot of political power, not just power plant pull. He was able to observe and speak to many engineers and technicians that would otherwise be shielded from telling their stories. This book is a truly horrifying read if you even have the most basic understanding of power plant fundamentals. To sum it up, they essentially went out of their way to create this disaster. People in positions of power who had no earthly idea what they were doing telling those that did know what they were doing what to do. Then couple that with a reactor design flaw of the graphite rod design that was meant to accelerate reactivity. Then reading about the fire department that was first on site responding to the disaster literally picking up pieces of the graphite that was used for its reactors core......those poor ********. The Soviet Union mulched it's own soldiers and citizens, known as the Chernobyl Liquidators, in that that cauldron to try and cover the whole thing up.

Thanks for the recommendation that is on my list now.

Advertisement
I actually shielded my eyes like a little kid during the pet killing scenes...sad but true.

I also couldn't finish the episode because my wife is pregnant and I know how the story of the firefighter's wife ends. Jeez, brutal storytelling man.

Advertisement
Back