OT- Have athletes gotten worse in the NBA/MLB?

that f*cker would LIVE at the free throw line where he is **** near 89% from.

I dont know what the **** yall think KD really is...dudes a unicorn. He's soft/insecure mentally but he gets his when he wants in any era...thats evident.

I have KD as top 3 player in the league right now...but I could see a scenario where he'd be #4-6 with Giannis Lebron Kawhi ahead of him with Harden, Embiid & AD closing the gap because of their physicality. Not by much though. KD Giannis Lberon Kawhi and Steph are their own tier of player.

KD would still get his 30 buckets a game in any era though. He is the best mid range shooter in the NBA by the numbers (57% from 15-19 feet; 50% from 10-14 feet in 18-19) so taking less 3s and more mid range shots would benefit him. They would have put him at the 4 back then

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
that f*cker would LIVE at the free throw line where he is **** near 89% from.

I dont know what the **** yall think KD really is...dudes a unicorn. He's soft/insecure mentally but he gets his when he wants in any era...thats evident.
They didn’t call fouls for arm checking or ticky tack **** like they do now.

the bulls dont have a Grindfather.

MJ and Pippen have to score offensively for them to be in the game. Tony Allen didnt do or have to do **** offensively all his energy was preserve for defense which he always played extremely well. That being said they ran tony allen to death and his hamstring fell off by game 4 lol.

Phil Jackson would HAVE to try to hide with the BJ Armstrong and Steve Kerr's of the world and they would get TORCHED. They would have to pick their times to guard Curry and Pippen is the only one legitimately that can guard Durant full time., unless the plan is to put coked up rodman on him.

I love this debate though.

You forget Ron Harper existed?

I would take Golden State against the first three peat Bulls because of the defensive mismatch at point guard for the Bulls.

But the rules MATTER ALOT.

With defensive 3 seconds, when Curry drives, bigs have to chase him to the rim.

Without it, Curry has a 7 footer WAITING for him at the rim.

Curry’s handle and shooting gets defenders off balance and gets him easy buckets off lay ups. People don’t realize those lay ups go a long way to getting his confidence up and creating those murderous three point barrages.

When you take away the easy lay ups from Curry, he has a much harder time finding rhythm. The games he struggles are when you attack his ball handling with length and physicality and make him alter his shot at the rim. That is what the second 3 peat Bulls are all about.

The rules played under have a huge impact on any mythical series between those teams.

You forget Ron Harper existed?

I would take Golden State against the first three peat Bulls because of the defensive mismatch at point guard for the Bulls.

But the rules MATTER ALOT.

With defensive 3 seconds, when Curry drives, bigs have to chase him to the rim.

Without it, Curry has a 7 footer WAITING for him at the rim.

Curry’s handle and shooting gets defenders off balance and gets him easy buckets off lay ups. People don’t realize those lay ups go a long way to getting his confidence up and creating those murderous three point barrages.

When you take away the easy lay ups from Curry, he has a much harder time finding rhythm. The games he struggles are when you attack his ball handling with length and physicality and make him alter his shot at the rim. That is what the second 3 peat Bulls are all about.

The rules played under have a huge impact on any mythical series between those teams.

Ron Harper we talkin bout old Ron Harper.

You guys are acting like the GSW team plays a half court game...THEY are running...Those 7 FOOTERS you guys speaking of waiting in the lane arent going to be there...or are going to foul out rather early. Luc Longley, Bill Wennington, Will Perdue or name any of the other stiffs they routinely trotted out there.

Im in the age range that i was a kid pre teen when bulls were 3 peeting and and adult with the gsw moves. GSW in 6 in any era.

Those Bulls teams would give Brons cavs issues though and my Heat teams.

Curry will still get his easy buckets as any athletic pg routinely gave them trouble THEN. They NEVER really faced a player with the range of Curry...when they did ...a guy like Mahmoud Abdul Rauf got his NUMBERS 20s and above...and thats with them sticking jordan on him at times.

The Rules matter...but against GSW they wont matter TOO much. The game play back then was to force jumpshots...well that GSW team is built to shoot jumpshots ..in fact they want them. Its why i laugh at the KD would be in trouble or below his numbers talk...he will mid range them to death and he is getting to his spots with ease as he is 6'11 and taller than their centers. The one who numbers may drop is Klay. But does it really matter when Iggy is coming off the bench on the 2nd unit and killing?. 6'7 back up point guard is killing jed beuchler.

Ron Harper we talkin bout old Ron Harper.

You guys are acting like the GSW team plays a half court game...THEY are running...Those 7 FOOTERS you guys speaking of waiting in the lane arent going to be there...or are going to foul out rather early. Luc Longley, Bill Wennington, Will Perdue or name any of the other stiffs they routinely trotted out there.

Im in the age range that i was a kid pre teen when bulls were 3 peeting and and adult with the gsw moves. GSW in 6 in any era.

Those Bulls teams would give Brons cavs issues though and my Heat teams.

Curry will still get his easy buckets as any athletic pg routinely gave them trouble THEN. They NEVER really faced a player with the range of Curry...when they did ...a guy like Mahmoud Abdul Rauf got his NUMBERS 20s and above...and thats with them sticking jordan on him at times.

The Rules matter...but against GSW they wont matter TOO much. The game play back then was to force jumpshots...well that GSW team is built to shoot jumpshots ..in fact they want them. Its why i laugh at the KD would be in trouble or below his numbers talk...he will mid range them to death and he is getting to his spots with ease as he is 6'11 and taller than their centers. The one who numbers may drop is Klay. But does it really matter when Iggy is coming off the bench on the 2nd unit and killing?. 6'7 back up point guard is killing jed beuchler.

Running doesn’t just happen.It’s the result of long rebounds and turnovers, things the Bulls didn’t give up.

Pippin would be the toughest matchup of Durant’s career. His percentages would be below his average most games.

Iggy and Kukoc are a wash off the bench. Livingston is decent, but he ain’t Lou Williams coming off the bench.

With an open lane and modern physicality, the Warriors would run the Bulls out of the building because they signed big stiffs to have the size needed to deal with the great centers of the 90s.

That’s why they win under 90s rules and lose under modern rules. If that team was built for the modern game, they would have smaller more athletic bigs and longer more athletic wings. If the Warriors had to go through guys like Olajuwon, Robinson, Barkley, Ewing, Shaq, etc to get the title, they would have big stiffs down low too.

That’s why you can’t ignore the rules changes because it completely changes who can enforce their strengths better.

We watched the Warriors so AMAZING things on the court and they are a GREAT team. However the ridiculousness of some of the things they have are the result of a deliberate effort the league made to increase scoring because coaches were turning games into low scoring iso-ball wrestling matches.

They would be a great team in any era, but they would look more human forced to play outside of the environment their team was specifically built to function in, same as the Bulls.

Show me the rules, I will show you the winner.

Advertisement
I have KD as top 3 player in the league right now...but I could see a scenario where he'd be #4-6 with Giannis Lebron Kawhi ahead of him with Harden, Embiid & AD closing the gap because of their physicality. Not by much though. KD Giannis Lberon Kawhi and Steph are their own tier of player.

KD would still get his 30 buckets a game in any era though. He is the best mid range shooter in the NBA by the numbers (57% from 15-19 feet; 50% from 10-14 feet in 18-19) so taking less 3s and more mid range shots would benefit him. They would have put him at the 4 back then
He’d be a great shooter in any era but in 80s and 90s he’s never going to the rim. He’d get hurt

:ibis-roflmao-sm3: @ y'all like "these new players never saw players like Jordan or Pippen"

some blatant disrespect right to my mans face while this man sitting right there like

giphy.gif

:ibis-roflmao-sm3: @ y'all like "these new players never saw players like Jordan or Pippen"

some blatant disrespect right to my mans face while this man sitting right there like

giphy.gif

Didn’t Kawhi beat the Warriors in the Finals?

Pippin doesn’t have to carry the Bulls scoring offense like Kawhi does either.

Like I said, he would bother KD and dampen his percentages.

Didn’t Kawhi beat the Warriors in the Finals?

Pippin doesn’t have to carry the Bulls scoring offense like Kawhi does either.

Like I said, he would bother KD and dampen his percentages.

Didn't Durant on OKC beat Kawhi on San Antonio in the playoffs?

I'm just saying, yall acting like these top players aren't playing guys that play very much like MJ and Pip. This is such an old man in the barbershop thread. No one is discounting their greatness. They can play in any era. But yall grossly overrating the skill and athleticism of the role players from that era.

Advertisement
Had this discussion with some friends and wanted to bring it to the board: Have players gotten less athletic in the NBA and MLB since the 1980s and 1990s?

Football players have gotten more athletic since the rules began favoring passing. But in basketball, the rules have been favoring more of a European game based on shooting and less man-to-man defense. Stars like Curry, Harden and Doncic are extremely skilled but only average athletes by NBA standards. Would a player like Duncan Robinson survive in the 80s and 90s with the amount of minutes he plays?

Same in MLB. The game is phasing out steals and there is less contact, which means less athletic defense. Walks and homers are king. Has the game lost athleticism?
MLB yes. NBA I need to think about much longer.

Didn't Durant on OKC beat Kawhi on San Antonio in the playoffs?

I'm just saying, yall acting like these top players aren't playing guys that play very much like MJ and Pip. This is such an old man in the barbershop thread. No one is discounting their greatness. They can play in any era. But yall grossly overrating the skill and athleticism of the role players from that era.

Durant beat a younger, still growing Kawhi who grew to lead the aging Spurs to a title over the Heat. Kawhi is the better player now.

The only thing being underestimated is the championship tenacity of the Bulls. Anybody thinking Durant would work Pip for career numbers over a seven game series has recency bias.

The Bulls team was constructed for their era just like the Warriors were constructed for theirs.

The Warriors are obviously more athletic from top to bottom, but we have witnessed many times in the NBA that athlecism can be bested. Just ask all the teams the Spurs beat for titles. There are many guys who are long and can run and jump, but they don’t have championship poise and competitiveness.

The Warriors have that as a team but the Bulls are superior to any thing they have faced. Unlike the Bulls, they lost Finals. The Splash Brothers lost a title being defended by Kyrie Irving and JR Smith. LOL. But they gonna run Michael, Scottie, and Ron Harper off the court? LMFAO.

Saying the Warriors would beat the Bulls under any circumstances is just as silly as saying the Bulls would dominate and sweep the Warriors.

They are different teams form different eras and were built under unique circumstances due to the opponents they faced at the time. Their strengths in their era are their weaknesses in another.

Put them on the court together and the game comes down to who can impose their particular style, which largely comes down to what the rules are.

Had this discussion with some friends and wanted to bring it to the board: Have players gotten less athletic in the NBA and MLB since the 1980s and 1990s?

Football players have gotten more athletic since the rules began favoring passing. But in basketball, the rules have been favoring more of a European game based on shooting and less man-to-man defense. Stars like Curry, Harden and Doncic are extremely skilled but only average athletes by NBA standards. Would a player like Duncan Robinson survive in the 80s and 90s with the amount of minutes he plays?

Same in MLB. The game is phasing out steals and there is less contact, which means less athletic defense. Walks and homers are king. Has the game lost athleticism?

Love the game of baseball...but today’s game is extremely painful to watch

Advertisement
Running doesn’t just happen.It’s the result of long rebounds and turnovers, things the Bulls didn’t give up.

Pippin would be the toughest matchup of Durant’s career. His percentages would be below his average most games.

Iggy and Kukoc are a wash off the bench. Livingston is decent, but he ain’t Lou Williams coming off the bench.

With an open lane and modern physicality, the Warriors would run the Bulls out of the building because they signed big stiffs to have the size needed to deal with the great centers of the 90s.

That’s why they win under 90s rules and lose under modern rules. If that team was built for the modern game, they would have smaller more athletic bigs and longer more athletic wings. If the Warriors had to go through guys like Olajuwon, Robinson, Barkley, Ewing, Shaq, etc to get the title, they would have big stiffs down low too.

That’s why you can’t ignore the rules changes because it completely changes who can enforce their strengths better.

We watched the Warriors so AMAZING things on the court and they are a GREAT team. However the ridiculousness of some of the things they have are the result of a deliberate effort the league made to increase scoring because coaches were turning games into low scoring iso-ball wrestling matches.

They would be a great team in any era, but they would look more human forced to play outside of the environment their team was specifically built to function in, same as the Bulls.

Show me the rules, I will show you the winner.

Dude the Warriors are bigger and stronger than them regardless of era.
Regardless of rules im taking the better shooting team. Thats GSW easily. They push the tempo off of made shots as well.
People are rewriting history..the bulls werent the bully team of that era. It was even laid out in the documentary.

Advertisement
the nba is unwatchable. Guys taking 2-3 steps in between dribbles, taking 4-5 steps when driving to the hoop, or just chucking it up from where the **** ever.

They should just eliminate traveling from the NBA rulebook since it’s almost never called.

To be honest, since NBA refs let players get away with traveling at least 99% of the time, it’s not very fair when they actually do call it.

This post should be stickied.lol

Ninja i thought i was more athletic than Spencer Dinwiddie.

This next level of athleticism we are currently seeing.

facts. And if you look at my next post Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell talkin the same **** that Charles Barkley and Jordan are talkin today. Rule changes, best athletes were in our era, etc

Advertisement
Back