OT- Have athletes gotten worse in the NBA/MLB?

I haven’t “bragged about testing” once because the 90s guys don’t have public test results. I simply pointed out how weak and slow Kevin Durant was when tested. The same thing is clear when you watch him play. He won with skill and length, not athleticism.

People keep confusing “athlete” with “player.” Beal is a better player than Eddie Jones. But he is not as quick laterally (which shows on defense) and he’s not as explosive. He’s a better player because he has more skill on offense.
Wrong on Durant. He moves like a guard at 7 feet, laterally. What 7 feet guys do you see moving like him? That’s elite athleticism.

No, you’re confusing athlete with player. Beal was a much better defender earlier in his career. He had a usage rate of 34% this year, so of course he isn’t defending at the same level. He’s definitely more explosive than Eddie Jones. Nostalgia has your brain fried.

Advertisement
Wrong on Durant. He moves like a guard at 7 feet, laterally. What 7 feet guys do you see moving like him? That’s elite athleticism.

David Robinson would run him out of the gym, on top of being much stronger.

Now, if you put the ball in his hands, Durant will move faster because he has a better handle. But he isn’t running or jumping with the Admiral.

They are saying in this thread that KD has never seen the defense prowess of a scottie pippen ( who by the way is oneof my favorite players ever..i didnt like jordan growing up).

What he would do to the same people in Jordan Era would be ungodly lol. He's a mismatch nightmare NOW with the freaks we have currently
HAHAHAAH and I am a HUGE Scottie fan. **** Jordan is my all time favorite player. I think Lebron surpassed him... but MJ was my childhood hero. And I loved Pippen because he basically invented the Point Forward position and could guard 4 positions. But KD would kill Pippen... Kill him. Pippen didn't see that in his life... it didn't exist. A 7 footer that could get to the rim that FAST? A 7 footer than can dribble like a guard and pass like that? A 7 footer with that mid-range and shoots from 30? GtFOH.... Pippen couldn't contain 19 year old Kobe... Saw him getting crossed by Mike Bibby back in the day and he struggled to cover quick speedy guys like that. Imagine the Alien Durant.

BUT BUT BUT he locked down Magic!

Sure he did... Look how magic plays... Below the Rim dn Scottie was a better athlete. KD 's speed and shooting ability would be unguardbale. You would need to drop like 3 defenders on him. Jordan/Harper and Rodman and Pip just so you can have a chance.

Now, if you put the ball in his hands, Durant will move faster because he has a better handle. But he isn’t running or jumping with the Admiral.
The Admiral would need to guard him 30 feet away from the rim... and he would eat him alive with his dribbling skills and pulling up.. Durnt has a 33.5 inch vertical which is not other worldly but I think Robinson has about the same.....

Yes, the Admiral was in phenomenal shape. His discipline is well documented.

But there’s zero chance he could stay in front of Durant. You just don’t see guys 7 feet with the hand eye coordination and lateral explosiveness that Durant has. It’s not just about a better handle. Hand eye coordination is athleticism as well.

Advertisement
Hand eye coordination is athleticism as well.

It is, but you don’t see me talking up Larry Bird’s hand-eye coordination. We’re talking physical, run and jump athletes.

Durant as a player would light up any era. He’s an all-timer. But he’s a pure hooper. He’s not someone that gets you dreaming about what he can do on the football field. A guy like Robinson was a true specimen from a physical standpoint.

It is, but you don’t see me talking up Larry Bird’s hand-eye coordination. We’re talking physical, run and jump athletes.

Durant as a player would light up any era. He’s an all-timer. But he’s a pure hooper. He’s not someone that gets you dreaming about what he can do on the football field. A guy like Robinson was a true specimen from a physical standpoint.
You say that and ignore his best athletic trait, which is his quickness at his size. It’s extremely rare for a 7 footer. Not really going to get into the football field stuff because I don’t find it relevant at all to my point.

You say that and ignore his best athletic trait, which is his quickness at his size. It’s extremely rare for a 7 footer. Not really going to get into the football field stuff because I don’t find it relevant at all to my point.
I continue to be surprised at the speed that Durant gets to the rim. It's like I'm watching an oversized guard. Game changed.... and a lot of people here are living in the past. Take a look at the 86 Celtics, The 80s, Cavs, 80s pistons, 80s, lakers, and most teams in the 90s, you see on average less athletic players. It's not just Isiah Thomas saying this.. it's people like Steve Kerr that was an average player that played a key role in the Bulls championship run saying that he wouldn't be able to play in this era and that players were so much better.

I haven’t bragged about testing once because the 90s guys don’t have public test results. I simply pointed out how weak and slow Kevin Durant was when tested. The same thing is clear when you watch him play. He wins with skill and length, not athleticism.

People keep confusing “athlete” with “player.” Beal is a better player than Eddie Jones. But he is not as quick laterally (which shows on defense) and he’s not as explosive. He’s a better player because he has more skill on offense.

I think you're doing a bit of the same thing here D$. You mention centers like Robinson, Shaq, Olajuwon, Ewing as great athletes. There's Centers right now like Rudy Gobert, Client Capela, Mitchell Robinson, Serge Ibaka, etc. who are nowhere near the players, but every bit the athletes.

As for Durant - remember he was 18 when he did his athletic testing. To what extent I don't know, but I'm sure he would've tested better at 21 or 22 when most guys in the 90's came into the league as rookies.

Advertisement
There are more athletic players today than in the 80’s and 90’s. The question is just preference incorrectly. 90% of the NBA is African American now. Jordan played against a lot of white guys.

To be successful in the NBA you don’t have to be as athletic as in years past though.

Eddie Jones was a really good athlete. Sprewell and Beal aren't close though. Beal is a lot better at short area change of direction than those guys. Aside from effort and IQ, Eddie Jones is better at dunking and defense because he's three inches taller with longer arms

you beat me to it i was coming in to say this about eddie jones.

HAHAHAAH and I am a HUGE Scottie fan. **** Jordan is my all time favorite player. I think Lebron surpassed him... but MJ was my childhood hero. And I loved Pippen because he basically invented the Point Forward position and could guard 4 positions. But KD would kill Pippen... Kill him. Pippen didn't see that in his life... it didn't exist. A 7 footer that could get to the rim that FAST? A 7 footer than can dribble like a guard and pass like that? A 7 footer with that mid-range and shoots from 30? GtFOH.... Pippen couldn't contain 19 year old Kobe... Saw him getting crossed by Mike Bibby back in the day and he struggled to cover quick speedy guys like that. Imagine the Alien Durant.

BUT BUT BUT he locked down Magic!

Sure he did... Look how magic plays... Below the Rim dn Scottie was a better athlete. KD 's speed and shooting ability would be unguardbale. You would need to drop like 3 defenders on him. Jordan/Harper and Rodman and Pip just so you can have a chance.

Im actually in this thread dumbfounded that we have ACTUAL people that those guys would be able to lock down Durant. These mfers act like there are 7ft guys like him just walking round every where. Dude is cat quick laterally WITH the ball. Like i said...it would be unfair what he would do to those guys lol.

The problem with them guarding him is essentially is hes comfortable just killing them with the mid range jumper. They are going to be backing off because of his size after he blows by them and gets to the cup once or twice then its..all she wrote

you asked for it you got it

Sidenote- Lebron is a freak athlete...and laughs at whatever it was in the 80s n 90s.lol

Advertisement
Also guys like Matt Barnes ...not the most athletic known players during the 2000 era.

Likely would of been a 5 star div 1 football recruit coming out of California

I always completely shut down this conversation by simply asking something very simple.

Would you take the 92 dream team, or the 2020 olympic "dream" team?

if anyone says 2020 you're just delusional or too young to remember.

you beat me to it i was coming in to say this about eddie jones.

eddie was a real smooth athlete. Him and Wade were great together. That 04-05 heat squad is one of my favorites. We were really destined for a title that year

Advertisement
Im actually in this thread dumbfounded that we have ACTUAL people that those guys would be able to lock down Durant. These mfers act like there are 7ft guys like him just walking round every where. Dude is cat quick laterally WITH the ball. Like i said...it would be unfair what he would do to those guys lol.

The problem with them guarding him is essentially is hes comfortable just killing them with the mid range jumper. They are going to be backing off because of his size after he blows by them and gets to the cup once or twice then its..all she wrote

KD is unguardable in every era. More midrange and less 3s is even better for him although he can knock the 3 down consistently

Last edited by a moderator:
eddie was a real smooth athlete. Him and Wade were great together. That 04-05 heat squad is one of my favorites. We were really destined for a title that year

yea i didnt get eddie jones being brought up by d. Eddie was known as an athletic guy in that era. Im a s.fla guy and grew up a laker fan b4 i became a heater (end of middle school toward 9th grade)...Eddie Jones , Nick Van Exel, and a young kobe were my fav players for awhile.

Nobody “locks down” superstar players as a general rule.

The goal is always to make them earn everything, make them less efficient, and keep them from going ape **** crazy on you.

That happens to Durant all the time, and to think Scottie doesn’t fit the description of a defender that could do that to him is nuts.

The best defenders in the league are not necessarily the best athletes. That doesn’t mean they are bad athletes, but some of the leagues most athletic guys don’t want it bad enough to be great defenders. That is nothing new. Poise, desire, and competitiveness are necessary to go with the actual skills of being a great defender.

Durant is maybe the best pure scorer in NBA history, but let’s not pretend he is some god who hasn’t cost his teams playoff series with his weak mentality.

What Luka Doncic is now, Penny was in ‘93. Looked a little different though:

Advertisement
Back