OT - Game of Thrones S8

I have been very critical of this season up to this point, and I've read ALOT of comments and hot takes thus far, but I got to say..................THAT WAS AWESOME. I was in shock the entire episode. I honestly was speechless. I did not think they had the balls to have D go apesh*t and start laying waste to the masses. I mean the last 30 minutes was just her making pass after pass on almost purely civilian targets. The only thing that could come to mind was the Firebombing of Dresden. Yes most of the deaths sucked. Cleganebowl-meh, Cersi-yawn, Kraken vs Lion-why tho?, Arya walking through Sh*t falling on her like she's the mountain- yea ok, but the cinematography, the music, the absolute carnage.....Tactical nuke inbound confirmed.

Advertisement
This season would have been better if they did it over 10 episodes. Feels like they rushed every major thing that happened. They played up Dany going crazy for like 2 scenes and then it happened. We don't know how Cersei and Euron knew that they would head back to Dragonstone and when they would be there. I don't mind Arya killing the Knight King, Euron killing a dragon, Dany laying waste to King's Landing but if they took more time to set things up it all those would have had a bigger impact.

Also, how fast did Varys flip against Dany based on nothing? All it took was him learning who Jon actually was for him to flip. Didn't make much sense even tho he was right about her in the end.

I have been very critical of this season up to this point, and I've read ALOT of comments and hot takes thus far, but I got to say..................THAT WAS AWESOME. I was in shock the entire episode. I honestly was speechless. I did not think they had the balls to have D go apesh*t and start laying waste to the masses. I mean the last 30 minutes was just her making pass after pass on almost purely civilian targets. The only thing that could come to mind was the Firebombing of Dresden. Yes most of the deaths sucked. Cleganebowl-meh, Cersi-yawn, Kraken vs Lion-why tho?, Arya walking through Sh*t falling on her like she's the mountain- yea ok, but the cinematography, the music, the absolute carnage.....Tactical nuke inbound confirmed.

Yes - Also thought of Dresden. Also thought some of the imagery (falling structures, everyone covered in dust and fleeing) was reminiscent of 9/11.

This season has had lack luster writing and rushed plot lines, but this episode absolutely had powerful scenes.

Advertisement
This season would have been better if they did it over 10 episodes. Feels like they rushed every major thing that happened. They played up Dany going crazy for like 2 scenes and then it happened. We don't know how Cersei and Euron knew that they would head back to Dragonstone and when they would be there. I don't mind Arya killing the Knight King, Euron killing a dragon, Dany laying waste to King's Landing but if they took more time to set things up it all those would have had a bigger impact.

Also, how fast did Varys flip against Dany based on nothing? All it took was him learning who Jon actually was for him to flip. Didn't make much sense even tho he was right about her in the end.

Varys has been around a lot of kings and queens so he knows what to look for. If you go back in this season to after they defeated the NK and everyone is celebrating and she’s sitting there watching all the interactions you see she has the moment of awe man I really have nobody in my corner. That was a major scene. She then gets up and walks out in which Varys goes behind her. Gotta pay attention to the small things in GOT

so it was entertaining to watch but the writing and the story were average at best. arya goes all the way to kings landing to spend the entire time dodging falling buildings? after all she did to them a stark should have killed cersai in my opinion. the entire varys thing happened so fast. in prior years it would have unfolded over at least 4 or more episodes. i actually could see dany becoming the mad queen but her descent into madness has also been poorly developed and a bit rushed. and to all my military strategists - please explain the lone dragon's super powers after two previous ones were killed so easily.

i have been very tolerant of the creative choices made by the writers but this season needed to be longer if for no other reason but to properly develop story lines at a pace fans of the show have been conditioned for in prior years.

Last edited:
so it was entertaining to watch but the writing and the story were average at best. arya goes all the way to kings landing to spend the entire time dodging falling buildings? after all she did to them a stark should have killed cersai in my opinion. the entire varys thing happened so fast. in prior years it would have unfolded over at least 4 or more episodes. i actually could see dany becoming the mad queen but her descent into madness has also been poorly developed and a bit rushed. and to all my military strategists - please explain the lone dragon's super powers after two previous ones were killed so easily.

i have been very tolerant of the creative choices made by the writers but this season needed to be longer if for no other reason but to properly develop story lines at a pace fans of the show have been conditioned for in prior years.

This. He literally single-handedly wiped out the entire fleet of ships, army, and the entire city. His fire was knocking down buildings on contact. If he was this strong the entire time, you're telling me with two dragons they couldn't have maybe done a littleeeeee bit more damage to the white walkers? Not to mention that of course nobody on the ships could hit him with the scorpions now. They didn't even get any shots off after shooting basically semi-automatic in the previous episode.

The golden company was useless. Euron's story was completely rushed out.

I'm okay with Dany going mad but as previous people have mentioned, way way too rushed. Feels forced.

Terrible deaths. Cersei doesn't even interact with anyone besides Jaime, she just died under rubble.

Clegane bowl, lame.

And now Jon being a targaryen, which was a huge revelation, essentially becomes a null point. After this outburst from Dany, the people will easily vote for him as Jon Snow. His bloodline means nothing.

Season 8 has ruined one of the greatest shows we've had. Such a shame

Mixed feelings.

Plot twists aren’t always great just because they are unexpected. If they don’t really make a lot of sense they fall flat.

The Dany thing, while not totally unexpected still felt rushed.

The Jamie part doesn’t sit well with me. I mean in the end it makes perfect sense that he would die there with her out of love, but then basically the last 5 seasons of him were for nothing.

Pretty ******* crazy though.

Advertisement
Welp its all safe to say Arya will body Dani and Jon gets the throne because shes out the way. My family always thought seasons ago she showed mad queen signs and there it was i knew she would lose it and it was understandable but still fuqed up

Mixed feelings.

Plot twists aren’t always great just because they are unexpected. If they don’t really make a lot of sense they fall flat.

The Dany thing, while not totally unexpected still felt rushed.

The Jamie part doesn’t sit well with me. I mean in the end it makes perfect sense that he would die there with her out of love, but then basically the last 5 seasons of him were for nothing.

Pretty ******* crazy though.

The Dany thing was foreshadowed long ago. They had no choice but to move things quickly with this being the final season and only 6 episodes

To me Jon was meant for that throne hes the one character that reminds me of Ned, super honorable and always trying to do the right thing and not for any political gain its just who he is.

The Dany thing was foreshadowed long ago. They had no choice but to move things quickly with this being the final season and only 6 episodes
Yea that has been foreshadowed throughout the seasons, her plot (lord of light ****) was to help with the white walkers that was her destiny to help Jon with that. She could of had a Targaryen dynasty in Esos but she had to cross sea or the Night King would rule they needed those dragons. After the NK was done her plot was done and Jon being so honorable he wont sit on that throne while shes alive she has to die for him to take it.

Advertisement
then HBO should get some blame for forcing them to do in six episodes what needed to be done in 8-10.
money

thats why the special effects are great $$$
Im ok with it everyone always complains about last seasons I think its a little rushed (as all shows) but still epic. These directors ran off to help with Star Wars some old republic **** so Im wit it

Advertisement
then HBO should get some blame for forcing them to do in six episodes what needed to be done in 8-10.

Even though it's only 6 episodes (which I agree it should be a full 10) they have the longer run times this season and they've been for nothing. This easily could have been a 50-60 minute episode. It felt dragged out with the extra time, not meaningful.

don't get me wrong - this being a last season you have to expect some weird or quick ending of some stories. i give the writers a lot of creative latitude. it is art after all. the business decisions might have severely hampered them not to mention martin not finishing the books.

Advertisement
Back