OT - Game of Thrones S8

display.jpeg

Advertisement
I hear you but I think the show became the show it is because it didn’t follow epic fanfare. We were tuning in every week because week in and week out we didn’t know who might die. The show we have now is not the same show that gave us the red wedding.

Don’t get me wrong. I was entertained but in the same way the fast and the furious entertains me.
Exactly. It's entertaining in a way movies are where you know the main characters are safe and the dialogue will be superficial and remind you of a feel good Disney movie. It's still a good show, but the "current" GOT is pathetically bad compared to "past" GOT. Nice visuals though

Really good post. I really had no problems with the battle scene at all other than they really needed you to suspend disbelief at a few points, i.e. Jaime, Brienne, Pod, and Sam surviving the sea of walkers.

The plan was to lure him in as you said and very successful but the group at the helm has been terrible at planning battles. That includes Jon, Daeny, and Tyrion.

For me, for the show to really be the show I love, there needs to be no plot armor. As they've strayed from the books, there seems to be less sense of real threat in fights like these. Jon surviving the BotB is another good example, but again, it's a show and it is supposed to be epic fanfare.

I just like pointing out that the show used to be so much more ruthless than it is now.

A couple of quick points.

The concept of "ruthless" is, I believe, misplaced. There is a difference between a character choosing to poison/castrate/throw-out-the-moon-window another character and, say, an enormous battle. Besides, this is not the final battle. What if they had killed 20 main characters in Winterfell, why would you even give a **** about the next battle in King's Landing when all of the most interesting people just died at Winterfell?

As for this recently-invented term "plot armor" term, I think it is incorrect. Yes, it does seem strange to make the Wights so fast/violent/unstoppable, and then have a handful of people actually stop them for hours on end. But the reality of battle is that the "generals" are usually at the back directing the troops. So "high survival rates" for the leading characters in battle sequences is not so crazy to me, I don't think that is some sort of plot device.

As I have maintained all along, though I do have some opinions that arise as I watch, I am largely withholding judgement until after I have seen the full masterpiece painted. I do not understand "instant internet criticism" and people slamming a work of art that they profess to enjoy.

Watch all the episodes first. We can vote on "where it ranks" later.

Advertisement
Lol at you saying it succeeded. That success wasn’t realistic at all. So many times where main characters were outnumbered by dozens and dozens of walkers, the scene would cut away, then when it go back to the character and they would somehow be unscathed. Fat dude somehow fought while sitting down the whole time and didn’t die. So give me a break saying they were successful. Not to mention that Arya has trouble dealing with 5 white walkers in a room but she somehow snuck up on the night king and past all those white walkers protecting him. It was entertaining but the worst written episode ever in GOT. Episode 2 was much better. Like I said before people just want to see dragons burning stuff and people fighting even if the plot makes no god **** sense. In this episode They gave the people the Hollywood ending they wanted and the people ate it up.
i like a mix of battle and dialogue. what i least like is dragons and zombies. those are the worst parts of the show to me.

I think the Knight King raised all the dead, including the dead that were buried in the crypts.... so the army of the Knight King never really broke into the crypts. Instead, he recruited the Stark ancestors to his side... Again, poor planning by Tyrion and company.

You have clearly missed the point.

He is comparing the one Wight that Jon and the Fellowship of the Wight brought from the North to King's Landing in a wooden box (last season) to the Stark skeletons punching their way out of their own crypts.

He is saying that it should have been easy for the one Wight to punch its way out of the wooden box.

In all honesty, I don't care, but I do understand why yet another meaningless "scientific" question is being asked about this fantasy series.

Advertisement
A couple of quick points.

The concept of "ruthless" is, I believe, misplaced. There is a difference between a character choosing to poison/castrate/throw-out-the-moon-window another character and, say, an enormous battle. Besides, this is not the final battle. What if they had killed 20 main characters in Winterfell, why would you even give a **** about the next battle in King's Landing when all of the most interesting people just died at Winterfell?

As for this recently-invented term "plot armor" term, I think it is incorrect. Yes, it does seem strange to make the Wights so fast/violent/unstoppable, and then have a handful of people actually stop them for hours on end. But the reality of battle is that the "generals" are usually at the back directing the troops. So "high survival rates" for the leading characters in battle sequences is not so crazy to me, I don't think that is some sort of plot device.

As I have maintained all along, though I do have some opinions that arise as I watch, I am largely withholding judgement until after I have seen the full masterpiece painted. I do not understand "instant internet criticism" and people slamming a work of art that they profess to enjoy.

Watch all the episodes first. We can vote on "where it ranks" later.

I hear you but it’s 2019. This is the world we now live in. Everything is instant reaction. As soon as the show is over there are already 1,000 word thought pieces on the episode. I didn’t really enjoy the last episode but I agree with your masterpiece argument. I have hope that the next episodes either plugs up some plot holes or are so good it makes me forget the plot holes.

I get ya I’m not suggesting you’re wrong I’m more aiming those comments at some of the stupid **** I see online.

But we still got a ways to go and this show has proved we never know what’s going to happen

Bran told everyone what his motive was.

We don't many details about him, but Bran said what his motivations were...wants to delete human existence...Army of the Dead kills everyone, Night King kills Bran to get rid of history and knowledge. Thats the role of the Three Eyed Raven in this incarnation.

One of Ramin Djawadi's best imo. The unsung hero of the whole show. He also does the soundtrack for Westworld. I heard some "Dr. Ford", "Paint it Black" and the main title theme in there.

Light of the Seven is my favorite though. One of the best scenes in the show too.

True that, that's why I didn't like it as much reminded me too much of Westworld

Advertisement
To all the people complaining about the battle, looks like they never played Total War.

The episode actually exceeded my expectations. I thought only a handful of the important characters would die. But we still have most of the band together.

Now, on to Kings Landing.

Ok if we’re using Total War strategies here, the Dothraki would have been hidden in the woods on either side, with the unsullied phalanx in front of the walls and archers firing overtop. Once the wights crashed the phalanx Calvary rear charges and dragons vaporize everything caught between the two.

Honestly I expected this sort of clusterf*** from John or Jorah who are 1 on 1 fighters, but from Jamie, Tyrion, and Brianne I expected more. Jamie is a seasoned field general who has experience on Both sides of a siege. Why he wouldn’t have units stationed on the walls to reinforce his retreating troops is a gaping plot hole. By the time they fell back to the walls they had maybe 1 person per rampart....really??The whole strategy was shoddy, even on a TW level, forget actual acedemic military tactics.

I've heard they are very indepth and verbose. To the point that some people have quit reading the books.

GOT is a book series I want to read. But GRRM hasn't released the last two books. And I don't want to get into a book series only to find out the story isn't finished.

I read the books several years ago. They are long but easy enough to follow, especially with the familiarity of seeing the show.

In addition there are some aspects of the plot in the books that didn't make it to the series. The impact of the differences remain to be seen. The ending of the novels may very well serve as an alternate ending to the show based on these differences.

Advertisement
Ok if we’re using Total War strategies here, the Dothraki would have been hidden in the woods on either side, with the unsullied phalanx in front of the walls and archers firing overtop. Once the wights crashed the phalanx Calvary rear charges and dragons vaporize everything caught between the two.

Honestly I expected this sort of clusterf*** from John or Jorah who are 1 on 1 fighters, but from Jamie, Tyrion, and Brianne I expected more. Jamie is a seasoned field general who has experience on Both sides of a siege. Why he wouldn’t have units stationed on the walls to reinforce his retreating troops is a gaping plot hole. By the time they fell back to the walls they had maybe 1 person per rampart....really??The whole strategy was shoddy, even on a TW level, forget actual acedemic military tactics.
maybe if the strategy was so good there wouldn't have been so much hand to hand which led to a lot of emotional scenes.

I'm going to skip over the concept of someone becoming a battle expert from playing video games...and I will focus on the false claims related to Jaime Lannister, who is well-known for being an excellent one-on-one swordfighter (before his sword hand was cut off), but is also well-known for being a POOR general in the field (as he has pointed out from his account of how he lost a major battle in an earlier war). I believe, at one point, that Jaime claims a 1-1 record in major battles, which is hardly the record of a "seasoned field general".

Bran told everyone what his motive was.

We don't many details about him, but Bran said what his motivations were...wants to delete human existence...Army of the Dead kills everyone, Night King kills Bran to get rid of history and knowledge. Thats the role of the Three Eyed Raven in this incarnation.

i loved the contrast between what the night king wanted(to erase all memory of man kind from existence. ) and the north's battle cry(the north remembers!)

also, im reminded of this video when thinking of the "ultimate death" (being erased from memory):

Advertisement
Back