OT - Game of Thrones S8

That and we know who he is, or at least his origin was shown. Just because people want to obsess about his real identity doesn’t mean it has to be a major factor in the show.

The real “villains” in the show are 100% human

Yes, of course. But 73 episodes of him and his army as the ultimate looming threat over Westeros to not know at all what the motive is, kind of annoying.

Advertisement
Thought the tension at the beginning of the episode was incredible. Dothraki had to charge that's what they do, that scene was brilliant. I was disappointed that a couple more main characters didn't buy it, especially after the NK raised the dead. How the heck did Brienne, Sam, Tormund and Jamie not get overrun?

I also thought the ending was cheesy and too Hollywood with Arya saving the day. I blame fat boy GRRM for not finishing the books and letting a couple of Hollywood lefties finish his story.

The episode and battle were amazing, edge of your seat content. Ended in a great way.

Still, I'm annoyed that everyone in the show has plot armor. Lyanna, Theon, and Jorah weren't enough for me.

The fact that Sam is alive is so far beyond the "suspend disbelief" area. That was borderline ridiculous.
sam should have been down in the crypt with the women. that would have been more believable.

Yes, but what is the motive for destruction.
In the scene the dude obviously doesn’t want to be in their little experiment, so I always took it as revenge for making him like this, now I will kill everyone.

You can also look at it as the children of the forest just fked up and created this ultimate evil by mistake and he just is what he is.

That’s just the way I always took it but I can see where you would want a definitive reason for his actions.

Advertisement
The episode was flat out a masterpiece is TV show history but yeah, the actual battle plan was pretty disgraceful

Tyrion, Jon, Varys, Greyworm, Jorah, Jamie, Brienne, Dany....y’all couldn’t come up with a better plan than that? And some kindling we can set on fire for a few minutes?

Once the Dothraki went Leeeeeeeroy Jenkins and hit a wall of death...whatever plan they did have went flying right out the window...which, I guess is what would be expected in a similar situation IRL. The plan was to outflank them, but they clearly had no idea of the numbers that were coming for them. That is why Dany, once she saw them hit the wall of death, just said fvck this, we gotta ride rn.

I thought the episode was well done in that however bad you thought this was going to be for the Northern Coalition...it was much worse. Needed that full court chuck at the buzzer to beat the Blue Devils.

Now...with all 50 people still alive and two dragons that need time on the IL, they've got to take on Cersei and they gonna be overconfident af. Cersei 100% is gunning down one or more of those dragons with the spear canon.

Jamie got a prophecy to fulfill.

Melisandre the real MVP...out for the season, too. Beric set a great pick to free up Arya, but suffered a back injury. Lyanna Mormont...a deep reserve but provides valuable minutes out with chest injury.

idk how they are gonna do it, but they gonna do it.

Big time players make big time plays in big time games.

Advertisement
The episode was flat out a masterpiece is TV show history but yeah, the actual battle plan was pretty disgraceful

Tyrion, Jon, Varys, Greyworm, Jorah, Jamie, Brienne, Dany....y’all couldn’t come up with a better plan than that? And some kindling we can set on fire for a few minutes?

I don't think the charge was part of the battleplan. It looks like the Dothraki got so hyped up by their flaming weapons that they went straight "*** it. I'm going in" mode.

Yes, of course. But 73 episodes of him and his army as the ultimate looming threat over Westeros to not know at all what the motive is, kind of annoying.
I get ya I’m not suggesting you’re wrong I’m more aiming those comments at some of the stupid **** I see online.

But we still got a ways to go and this show has proved we never know what’s going to happen

Advertisement
Advertisement
here's a somewhat rambling, yet fascinating take on recent events in GOT(and maybe life in general) that i just came across on Reddit:

I think what show audience and book fans miss right now out of pure emotion is what was said on the great war council. Bran and Sam literally explained that the fight is over MEMORY, not being forgotten. Cersei is the typical dictator from world history: believes her rise to power was morally just (defending the family equals dictators saying they defend their nation), burning religious symbols, total moral corruption and last panicked destruction. Have you seen what regimes like this do: kill pretenders for the power, start a reform through fear and genocide, burn books and temples, to the point where people not only loose their lives but also their pride and memory that something different ever existed so that they're broken and bent in body and mind. The Winter in GOT is just an allegory of the periods of world history when humanity suffered almost full destruction: famine, pandemics, wars - Dark Ages when only survival is important. But in order to fight you need to remember that it could be different, the North Remembers - it remembers what independence smells like, what is like to resist. In ep 3 they've just won the war for the memory, the spiritual death was defied. Now they need to get to the fight with the outside forces. Every war is first won inside you head (Little Finger said to fight every war first in the mind), just remember what amazing role he and his dagger played), This Battle was actually a battle in their minds, to overcome the sense of failure and destruction, to get a taste of what winning is like, what they are capable of. The Night King was exactly the ultimate type of Death - the death of the heart (the Dragon Glass in his chest), when we loose our spirit everything is lost. The army of the Dead rose as the dead outnumbered the living - in times of war and famine the Dead become more than the living, even in the Bible there is a verse that says the dead will rise and free their graves for the living. Arya is the right character to kill the NK. I've previously said under another post that she's Justice. Death is faceless, no social standing, no morals, no deeds and beliefs could save you from it, each of us is destined to die, so it doesn't discriminate, but giving Justice (Arya) to the Truth (Bran) we could survive for the generations to come, some page in history, some account, a tale or a song could give us the Justice we deserve or the winning side thinks we deserve. Most main characters survived because this is what usually happens in history - the commoners dying in wars are just statistics, but the names of selected few are remembered so they survive the Battle over the Memory. Just think of the Dark Ages, George RR Martin has replaced it with Long Winter, it's the same. About the message the Night king brought: he used two major symbols - the spiral and something like the greek letter Phi. The spiral was used from the dawn of our civilisation to symbolise the Sun, the pass of time, the cycle of life - creation and destruction in constant turn over. There are two traditional representations of time - lineal and circular. The West believes time is a line - we constantly progress and move forward, the east and pagan traditions believe time is a cycle - coming back to the same point over and over again non stop. People like Marx believed time is a Spiral - time has circular motion but while it repeats itself it does it on another level - each revolution brings something new while it repeats the same old patterns. This might mean that the battles for the throne are just part of a cycle, but still will bring something new. (I think Kings landing will be destroyed and the capital will be moved - I believe in the North, there'll be also administrative and religious reforms). The Phi symbol is mostly associated with the Golden Ratio - it's the God's (or whatever Creator you believe in) master plan, the matrix by which everything is encoded. And interestingly the Phi letter is the 21st both in the Greek and in the Cyrillic (Bulgarian) Alphabets. Which century we are in? All prophecies about wars and Apocalypses , all religious texts prepare us to face destruction, to view it as a renewal, as something useful, and after all of that we are usually given hope about a better start - The Messiah. It doesn't matter if it will be true, it doesn't matter whether the good times really follow the bad ones, it just keeps us going. We live our lives as a specie that is fully aware of the fact of Death, we have 100% certainty that we'll die, but it's One Day, Not Today we believe. So all our struggles for power, money, for mere survival, for love, for glory stem from this NOT TODAY. We keep evolving and making history with our own bodies for Hope, for Love, for Justice, For Peace. Jon is Hope (he knows Nothing, hope lacks any common sense, it dies last and can always be resurrected like Jon was), Dany is Will Power (she accomplished everything and sacrificed her Private Self (family and love) for her Ambitions). Bran (Truth) has conversations only with three characters Sam (Honesty), Jamie (Consciousness) and Tyrion (Curiosity&Doubt) as only this three traits make us face the truth. So in the end after the fight for regaining Memory and Pride (Theon - as we give our Pride last in protecting the Truth/Bran, we regain the true pride of our beings by risking the false one. Theon believed that in order to gain Pride he needs to take with force, but this way he lost his Dignity - you know which part represents it, and at last he gained true Pride by being honorable). As a conclusion don't be upset about ep.3, just look beyond the figures as Plato said, go out of the cave of artificial lights (CGI) and see the true light. And if the Night King was the last master villain like some 90s console game, it would've been the 'End they lived happily ever after'stupidity George RR Martin hates so much. Because what is actually after, just more struggle, more fights, more deaths and births, life goes on.

If we get technical a big *** dragon just fell in there so it's not like the waters would have been completely still. Either way it is a plothole that could have been written better or they should have explained how it happened.

Oh, lord, now we have "expert plot analysis" from the poster who consistently posts the dumbest arguments on the board.

How deep was the lake? YOU DON'T KNOW. The Night King has giants. YOU IGNORE THAT. The Night King routinely commands his forces to wait. YOU FORGET THAT.

The purpose of the scene was not to give a technical description of how a dead dragon would be pulled from a lake, it was to flip everyone from "oh no, he killed a dragon" to "oh no, he can resurrect anything, even a dragon".

What's next? Are you going to come up with some criticism of how 3 fossilized dragon eggs can produce full-grown dragons after hundreds of years when the plot has clearly and repeatedly specified that dragons were getting smaller and weaker over time (before they became extinct), with the last dragons being quite tiny? Or how about why Valyrian steel (which comes from the continent of Essos) is able to kill white walkers (which were created on the continent of Westeros)?

Are you going to do a doctoral thesis on the magical quality of midichlorians in the Star Wars movies?

Is there some sort of critique coming as to why all of the English wizards use Latin words for spells in Harry Potter?

Plot holes. A bunch of stupid people complaining about things because their feeble minds need some sort of scientific explanation in FANTASY stories.

Advertisement
Back