OT - Game of Thrones S8

Daenerys isn’t as smart and slick. Cersei really is on another level

Agreed. And with the "we are running out of epsiodes to tell story pressure", they are fast forwarding character development over a few scenes rather than several episodes or even seasons.

Advertisement
Agreed. And with the "we are running out of epsiodes to tell story pressure", they are fast forwarding character development over a few scenes rather than several episodes or even seasons.

You guys crying about character development at the end of show lol Most of the people left have been there since day 1. Wtf else do we need to learn about the characters?

You guys crying about character development at the end of show lol Most of the people left have been there since day 1. Wtf else do we need to learn about the characters?

Favorite colors. Do they like walks on the beach? Their hopes? Their dreams? Does Dany go brazilian or full bush?

Important ****.

My question would then be, did you ever like it? And when did you stop? Just curious.
The first four seasons are sensational. There was a marked drop in quality in season 5. It's been middling to poor for 3 seasons now - progressively getting worse.

That said, if they'd have kept the story moving at the same pace as the first four seasons they'd still have about 2-3 more years of filming ahead of them, which I don't think any of the actors tied to the project want.

Advertisement
Exception=Breaking Bad
The writers for Breaking Bad had a particular story arc for the main character and stuck to it - they knew they could tell that in 5 seasons.

As far as I understand it, Jesse Pinkman (and his popularity / how good the actor was) was the only real surprise for them - he wasn't meant to be Robin.

You don't start character arcs and just say "fvck it...its the end...no need to finish this"

Its entertaining...but if you think about **** for even a moment, you realized how dumb and contrived the **** they are doing.

The writers for Breaking Bad had a particular story arc for the main character and stuck to it - they knew they could tell that in 5 seasons.

As far as I understand it, Jesse Pinkman (and his popularity / how good the actor was) was the only real surprise for them - he wasn't meant to be Robin.
This is mostly true I think. Jesse definitely wasn't supposed to be a big part of the show, I remember hearing thst. Couldn't imagine the show without him. They actually wanted Tuco to stay a lot longer or even be the main bad guy but he had a conflict as well.

The whole dragon thing was dumb. They kill the one, your flying right at them instead of flying above them and attacking from behind them where they don’t have those giant arrow guns. She must be super blinded by the fact that everyone wants Jon to rule, she even left her Starbucks cup on the table.

Advertisement
Vince Gilligan is just a very special guy and what he's done with Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul is some generational ****. You can't do what he's doing unless you're Vince Gilligan himself.

On one hand, I really want to kill the showrunners for Thrones, but I also understand they were kind of left out to dry by GRRM...were given a few major bullet points...but really had to just create fan fiction over the past few seasons. Some of it hit...some of it was terrible...but you can kind of tell when you got to the fan fiction portion of the show...as I've said before, the dialogue eventually goes off the rails. The big moments...for the most part, they hit. But getting to them and keeping everything compelling before the big moments lacked and has gotten downright bad the deeper we go.

It is what it is.

Only two episodes left. Just give me an enjoyable ClegeneBowl and I think I'll just call it a day.

I'll always have The Long Night...Hardhome...The Red Wedding. dilly dilly.

You don't start character arcs and just say "fvck it...its the end...no need to finish this"

Its entertaining...but if you think about **** for even a moment, you realized how dumb and contrived the **** they are doing.

What arcs aren't being finished?

The whole dragon thing was dumb. They kill the one, your flying right at them instead of flying above them and attacking from behind them where they don’t have those giant arrow guns. She must be super blinded by the fact that everyone wants Jon to rule, she even left her Starbucks cup on the table.

You realize those guns rotated completely around right? It was an upgraded model of what Bron used that was destroyed.

Also they were on their way to Dragon Stone, not King's Landing like someone else stated which is why they got caught off guard. Someone must have leaked their plans. Guessing Varys.

Last edited:
Even breaking dad had some

What arcs aren't being finished?

Lets revisit this in two weeks. While I refuse to read the leaks, I can not imagine in two episodes the writers of this show truly finishing arcs without contrived nonsense. Catching a death isn't an effective end for everyone. As is, even if they come to finales for characters, there are going to be a lot of questions with loose threads.

Like, Breaking Bad gets so much praise because for the most part it nailed the landing and didn't dumb down some very complex characters just to finish up. Thrones has dumbed things down just to finish up. This last episode (Ep4) convinced me of that long held theory.

Advertisement
She had three options.

1. Fly off and attack from the rear unexpectedly. Those ballistas may swivel, but it's hard to shoot through a mast.

2. Gain altitude and put the dragon between the sun and the ships. This is how fighters used to attack because it's impossible to aim with the sun in your eyes.

3. Run and let your soldiers die.

She had three options.

1. Fly off and attack from the rear unexpectedly. Those ballistas may swivel, but it's hard to shoot through a mast.

2. Gain altitude and put the dragon between the sun and the ships. This is how fighters used to attack because it's impossible to aim with the sun in your eyes.

3. Run and let your soldiers die.

Or...I've seen these Dragons fight above the clouds. Fly high and sneak attack those MFrs. But Dany is a bozo on this show.

Advertisement
Funny that last week a bunch of ppl were saying they couldn’t see **** in the battle and now they somehow are spotting lil *** cups to ***** about.

But seriously I’ve seen a ton of complaints from fans bc this or that hasn’t played out how they hoped or predicted. It amazes me that so many ppl watch a show that they apparently don’t like bc I saw a bunch of the same type of whining during season 7. If you don’t like it, you could just stop watching, but instead you will be right in front of your tv the next 2 Sunday’s at 9 to watch more.

Maybe I’m weird but I don’t watch shows that I don’t like. Too many options for quality entertainment to do that.

And no leaks/spoilers from future episodes please, some of us just want to enjoy the show as it airs.
Who on here said they couldn't see anything during the battle last week?

I agree on all points.

Hope the leaks aren't legit. I haven't read or heard them. Keeping my eyes shut. But this latest set up episode doesn't bode well for the finish.

3 out of 4 episodes have been very sloppy, IMO. The motivations for anyone in the north to do what they are doing is really mumbled nonsense at best. A squad with basically all of the greatest war strategists being this bad at war is more of an indictment on how bad the writing is, over any genius.

The North is so bad at this war thing, its comical how poorly its written. The show used to lean HEAVY on realpolitik'ing and the big fight feel...now all thats left is the big fight because the politics angle of the show has become nonsense. The forced relationships also nonsense. Brienne and Arya getting d!ck for the first time are such terrible angles, idk who thought this was a good idea.
Agree on all points except I argue 4/4 episodes were sloppy. The long night was beautiful to watch but all of the writing and dialogue and story in general was cliche and mainstream and lazy

Advertisement
Back