OT - Game of Thrones S8

The directors butchered this show... dany’s, Jon’s, and Jaimes characters all did a 180 after they ran out of material from GRRM, they just want shock value instead of good writing... if the leaks are legit then this show will go from the best ever to ehh wouldn’t even rewatch

I agree on all points.

Hope the leaks aren't legit. I haven't read or heard them. Keeping my eyes shut. But this latest set up episode doesn't bode well for the finish.

3 out of 4 episodes have been very sloppy, IMO. The motivations for anyone in the north to do what they are doing is really mumbled nonsense at best. A squad with basically all of the greatest war strategists being this bad at war is more of an indictment on how bad the writing is, over any genius.

The North is so bad at this war thing, its comical how poorly its written. The show used to lean HEAVY on realpolitik'ing and the big fight feel...now all thats left is the big fight because the politics angle of the show has become nonsense. The forced relationships also nonsense. Brienne and Arya getting d!ck for the first time are such terrible angles, idk who thought this was a good idea.

Advertisement
Jon and Ghost are literally best friends and inseparable in the books... but in the show “hey I’m headed south, you can have my pet :)”... also how tf could Euron get the jump on two dragons flying high af and Kong’s landing nearly surrounded by ships... and to add to that, they are able to snipe a dragon when it’s flying at random but when they are prepared for a dragon flying right towards them, they miss every single shot??? Bad writing

None of this made any sense. I really have no idea how Dany and her dragons do not see Euron. Even if he's hiding behind the rocks, like...Dany should still see him. Or, does geometry not exist in this world? Also, wouldn't you send some sort of reconnaissance to scout out the area?

Wouldn't someone have recon'd Kings Landing to see the entire city-state is surrounded by anti-ballistic crossbows?

None of this makes any sense to me and its tough for me to invest.

From a near perfect episode of TV in The Long Night to some sloppy writing again...idk. The real landing is going to be tough to stick.

I agree on all points.

Hope the leaks aren't legit. I haven't read or heard them. Keeping my eyes shut. But this latest set up episode doesn't bode well for the finish.

3 out of 4 episodes have been very sloppy, IMO. The motivations for anyone in the north to do what they are doing is really mumbled nonsense at best. A squad with basically all of the greatest war strategists being this bad at war is more of an indictment on how bad the writing is, over any genius.

The North is so bad at this war thing, its comical how poorly its written. The show used to lean HEAVY on realpolitik'ing and the big fight feel...now all thats left is the big fight because the politics angle of the show has become nonsense. The forced relationships also nonsense. Brienne and Arya getting d!ck for the first time are such terrible angles, idk who thought this was a good idea.
The entire war strategy was terrible and **** the HBO writers.. Jon was the one who was supposed to kill the NK... it’s not confirmed yet due to GRRM not finishing the books, but he’s supposed to be the reincarnation of some dude that kills the NK, or someone else was supposed to come from North of the wall with a flaming sword and kill him, i forget which.

I haven’t even read the books but since i know people that do, just from what they told me alone, this show could’ve been 10x better overall but the directors ****ed it

I agree on all points.

The entire war strategy was terrible and **** the HBO writers.. Jon was the one who was supposed to kill the NK... it’s not confirmed yet due to GRRM not finishing the books, but he’s supposed to be the reincarnation of some dude that kills the NK, or someone else was supposed to come from North of the wall with a flaming sword and kill him, i forget which.

I haven’t even read the books but since i know people that do, just from what they told me alone, this show could’ve been 10x better overall but the directors f’d it

Jon and Ghost are literally best friends and inseparable in the books... but in the show “hey I’m headed south, you can have my pet :)”... also how tf could Euron get the jump on two dragons flying high af and Kong’s landing nearly surrounded by ships... and to add to that, they are able to snipe a dragon when it’s flying at random but when they are prepared for a dragon flying right towards them, they miss every single shot??? Bad writing

I don’t care that much about little stuff like that. Killing one dragon and missing the other, doesn’t make me mad or isn’t a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Them being able to find Missandei in all that commotion is also lazy writing but hey if that gets you bent out of shape then hey. I’m here for the killing and for my emotions to be messed with lol. I’m here to hate characters and root for some. All shows have there great seasons/episodes and then bad ones. I’m not going to get bent out of shape

Advertisement
None of this made any sense. I really have no idea how Dany and her dragons do not see Euron. Even if he's hiding behind the rocks, like...Dany should still see him. Or, does geometry not exist in this world? Also, wouldn't you send some sort of reconnaissance to scout out the area?

Wouldn't someone have recon'd Kings Landing to see the entire city-state is surrounded by anti-ballistic crossbows?

None of this makes any sense to me and its tough for me to invest.

From a near perfect episode of TV in The Long Night to some sloppy writing again...idk. The real landing is going to be tough to stick.
At this point I’m just going to watch the show just to watch, and hope that GRRM finishes his story, and someone decides to do a true remake of the books.

I haven’t even read the books but since i know people that do, just from what they told me alone, this show could’ve been 10x better overall but the directors f’d it

Y’all still expecting these writers to stick to these books lol. Very rarely do books and the tv shows stick 100%. **** let alone 80%

I don’t care that much about little stuff like that. Killing one dragon and missing the other, doesn’t make me mad or isn’t a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Them being able to find Missandei in all that commotion is also lazy writing but hey if that gets you bent out of shape then hey. I’m here for the killing and for my emotions to be messed with lol. I’m here to hate characters and root for some. All shows have there great seasons/episodes and then bad ones. I’m not going to get bent out of shape
I wouldn’t care tbh if i didn’t know the show could be so much better if the writing at least followed the blueprints of the books.. it’s only frustrating because you’re turning a 10/10 show into about a 6-7/10 depending how technical you want to get

Y’all still expecting these writers to stick to these books lol. Very rarely do books and the tv shows stick 100%. **** let alone 80%
Well what’s the point of adapting a book into a show if you aren’t going to stick to it? Why not just create your own **** and say it’s similar to the books but not an adaptation

Advertisement
Well what’s the point of adapting a book into a show if you aren’t going to stick to it? Why not just create your own **** and say it’s similar to the books but not an adaptation

Cuz the books have a large following and people love interesting tv. Put them together and get paid lol.

To be fair...at the time they started this up, GRRM was doing the run around promising that this story would be complete and be ahead of the show. That fell on its face quickly.

Once the writers got to content from Books 4 and 5...they ran out of steam. 4 and 5 are filled with a lot of backstory and world building that does not translate well to TV. Even if you combined the events of 4 and 5, you'd struggle to keep your audience. Also, at that point, I believe GRRM only gave the writers a few major bullet points and plot lines to be finished, but for the most part, left the rest up to the writers to connect the dots and they've ultimately struggled with it. The dialogue, which used to be a trademark plus of the show, quickly went to ****.

With that said, its unlikely GRRM will ever finish this. Its clear he's got writers block a mile wide and wrote himself into a bit of a corner at the end of A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons that will take him a long time to dig out of in the upcoming two books.

Wouldn't be shocked if someone took a lot of what GRRM has and fills in the gaps like a lot of Tolkien's later work that would later be pieced together by his son (I believe it was his son, correct me if I am wrong) or how we finally put together The Otherside of the Wind by Orson Welles.

Advertisement
To be fair...at the time they started this up, GRRM was doing the run around promising that this story would be complete and be ahead of the show. That fell on its face quickly.

Once the writers got to content from Books 4 and 5...they ran out of steam. 4 and 5 are filled with a lot of backstory and world building that does not translate well to TV. Even if you combined the events of 4 and 5, you'd struggle to keep your audience. Also, at that point, I believe GRRM only gave the writers a few major bullet points and plot lines to be finished, but for the most part, left the rest up to the writers to connect the dots and they've ultimately struggled with it. The dialogue, which used to be a trademark plus of the show, quickly went to ****.

With that said, its unlikely GRRM will ever finish this. Its clear he's got writers block a mile wide and wrote himself into a bit of a corner at the end of A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons that will take him a long time to dig out of in the upcoming two books.

Wouldn't be shocked if someone took a lot of what GRRM has and fills in the gaps like a lot of Tolkien's later work that would later be pieced together by his son (I believe it was his son, correct me if I am wrong) or how we finally put together The Otherside of the Wind by Orson Welles.
I’m don’t have much info about the books, but the info i do have is that it’s so much better, and to your point about the world building and losing the audience... i don’t think it would, and if people did give up the series then it’d be the ones that only care about the action.

You most likely (along with probably 99% of the people here) have never watched/read the anime/manga called One Piece.. but it is arguably the greatest manga/anime of ALL time due to its insane amount. Of world-building, background stories, and pure story-telling. So i think the show would’ve been fine if they stayed true to the books. Also, they probably would’ve given GRRM more time to finish his books since we wouldn’t even be near the end of what he has written so far

Advertisement
This is a tv show that is on its last seaso, yes they are 100% going for shock value
Well that’s crap writing... just because it’s the last season doesn’t mean that’s the approach they should’ve taken. If you read the leaks, then how can you possible say that what happens to Dany and Jon is good writing and then the one who sits on the throne makes sense...

Well that’s crap writing... just because it’s the last season doesn’t mean that’s the approach they should’ve taken. If you read the leaks, then how can you possible say that what happens to Dany and Jon is good writing and then the one who sits on the throne makes sense...

The one I read didn’t mention the “winner.” Can you PM that link

Advertisement
Back