OT - Gainesville

its a college town. it wo
Is Gainesville really that bad? College town right?

its not terrible. its just boring if you aren't in college or aren't working for the university like most college towns. id certainly live in Gville over the areas surrounding it though. if you live near haile plantation (west of 75) its far nicer and less university than the east side of 75 towards campus (all retail and college apartments obviously). its just not a place to go if youre not in college. think of it like SW florida, if you aren't old or have family, it blows. same w gainesville, if no fam ties and not there for college, it blows

Advertisement
If you do go to Gainesville, hit up Satchel's Pizza. And Leonardo's (there's on in Millhopper). I like Leonardo's 706, which is more of an Italian restaurant than just pizza.

Other than that, Gainesville is mostly chain restaurants.

satchels is awesome. best pizza ive had in the state. they also are planning to open a second restaurant with a diff concept. the local food in gainesville is actually pretty good all things considered.

i work in ocala, living wise orange lake area or micanopy quite towns right outside of gainesville, really good speck and bass fishing if you are into that.

place is a garbage dump, and i'm saying that without even thinking about college football itself aka the gaytors vs the hurricanes.

just strictly as a town itself, it's an absolute piece of sh*t from bottom to top and side to side. Absolute sh*t, just like it's nearest cousin Palatka which has the highest HIV and spouse abuse rates in the entire state last I checked.

Just look at the "clubs" and bars it has on main street next to the stadium, place is a **** dump. Did I say it's a garbage dump of a town yet?

I've been there so many times, i've been IN campus for hours at a time several times and never once have I seen an attractive girl. It blows my f'n mind.

I'll be moving from Tuscaloosa to Gainesville area. Somewhere north would cut down my travel time home.

High springs , Alachua , Melrose are all nice . I was born in raised in high springs. Nice , friendly town. Really quiet, only 25-30 minutes north

Melrose is a small country town 15-20 minutes away , good spot. Not far away from gainesville but close to everything else. Jacksonville is only an hour away. Urban had a really nice lake house there, but you might not have a couple million laying around like him.

Living in gainesville isn’t bad , I just prefer my space and being around less people.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Haile Plantation area is probably the nicest community. Tioga area also nice. But traffic is bad in Gainesville especially during UF in session months.Golf there sucks ,40 minutes South in Ocala Golf if great. Plenty of restaurants geared to the college students.lots of jorts and subhuman looking Gator fans.

Haile Plantation area is probably the nicest community. Tioga area also nice. But traffic is bad in Gainesville especially during UF in session months.Golf there sucks ,40 minutes South in Ocala Golf if great. Plenty of restaurants geared to the college students.lots of jorts and subhuman looking Gator fans.

Colleague of mine recommended this area as well. I'm going on an apartment search tomorrow.

Advertisement
Colleague of mine recommended this area as well. I'm going on an apartment search tomorrow.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about when I said "west of 75", though Millhopper is probably second-best for your needs.

One of my Tax Law professors lived in Haile Plantation, wasn't bad.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about when I said "west of 75", though Millhopper is probably second-best for your needs.

One of my Tax Law professors lived in Haile Plantation, wasn't bad.

Nice. I'm just working a postdoc so I can't afford what he could lol but hopefully I can find something.

The data reveal an entirely different picture than one would have from afar and not being familiar with the area. It seems to be more than a sleepy college town.
If they would shut down the local Football team, crime would plummet.

I know there's a bar there called 'Balls'

so they have that going for them

Advertisement
It's actually a temporary position so I won't be moving my family with me and will be driving back home some on the weekends. I was thinking of living somewhere a little closer like Lake City.
Ocala use to be nice. The area is not the problem up there, it is peasant pine woodlands. Its the people who are the issue. ALL GATOR no matter where you live. You got to follow the money so go, do not go out, annoy every gator you can, and definitely come home on weekend to deslime.

Offered a job in Gainesville, considering a move but never been to the area. What are the safe/nice areas for an adult to live in town?

It better pay north of 300k to make that move worthwhile...

Why the **** would you even consider a job in such a trash city?

Advertisement
Gainsville is anything but boring . . .

1595005804139.gif

I'd move to Yeehaw Junction and would commute daily by one of those propeller backpacks/parachutes that the dude that used to crash sporting events in the 80's used to use.

Whenever I drive to the west coast like Tampa, for some weird reason I’m always fascinated by that restaurant and motor court/motel right there where you get off the turnpike to go west. I ask myself, who in their right mind would ever eat there or stay there.

One day, on the way back, I saw a tractor-trailer that had literally plowed into that little tiny shltty motel. And torn it all up.

I think I have a picture of that somewhere

Whenever I drive to the west coast like Tampa, for some weird reason I’m always fascinated by that restaurant and motor court/motel right there where you get off the turnpike to go west. I ask myself, who in their right mind would ever eat there or stay there.

One day, on the way back, I saw a tractor-trailer that had literally plowed into that little tiny shltty motel. And torn it all up.

I think I have a picture of that somewhere

I actually remember seeing a report about that with the photo of the truck that smashed into it. I always wondered the same thing about that place. Pictured it as a brothel with a bunch of illegal poker games going on. I'm pretty sure the reality was just sad.

Advertisement
Back