OT - Gainesville

I actually remember seeing a report about that with the photo of the truck that smashed into it. I always wondered the same thing about that place. Pictured it as a brothel with a bunch of illegal poker games going on. I'm pretty sure the reality was just sad.

I have to try to find that picture

Edit: found them. The EXIF says Dec 22 2019, so I guess that’s the date it happened, either that or the night before.

I was on my way back south

60101A7C-39C8-4417-AE62-626A04A9387E.jpeg

B9115334-ACE2-46E1-BE77-16F018692E89.jpeg

4E03EB36-5F96-4408-8EB5-F3EB13ECB57B.jpeg

Documented for posterity

Last edited:
Advertisement
The primary competitor to Yeehaw Junction for "biggest ****ehole one-stoplight-town in Florida" is Holopaw, just north on 441 where it hits 192.

My roommate and I used to drive past that place every time we drove between our homes in Orlando and our dorm at UM (we were too broke to pay Turnpike tolls).

Advertisement
Gainesville is very Diverse....If ya don't believe me, there is always some townsfolk who'll teach you all about Diverse....View attachment 122010

Every time I see that particular picture, I say to myself that is your typical **** fan that didn’t go to the actual university.

The teabag idolatry is completely bizarre.

trying to find a good area there is stupid hard.. trust me you're better off renting a cottage in the woods and pretending youre on vacation than trying to be around "civilization".. you can learn the hard way, or the easy way. just pretend you're in Alaska or something, with no mountains, rivers, educated people etc.

Advertisement
Starke is a bit north but close enough for easy commute. Keystone Heights is east and has a lot of cabins on lakes....lots of lakes in that area.

It's actually a temporary position so I won't be moving my family with me and will be driving back home some on the weekends. I was thinking of living somewhere a little closer like Lake City.

Where’s your family now?

Advertisement
Advertisement
I actually remember seeing a report about that with the photo of the truck that smashed into it. I always wondered the same thing about that place. Pictured it as a brothel with a bunch of illegal poker games going on. I'm pretty sure the reality was just sad.
It actually was a brothel in its early days. It was put on the National Register of Historic Places in 94.

If anyone remembers the Juno Beach Inn, the owners sold that and bought the Desert Inn sometime in the 80's I think.

I just PM'd @caneinorlando, you should try some of the spots up on the north side of town. One of my brothers lives on the Wekiva, and a good spot to start from is Katie's Landing, which is about a mile north of his place. People go kayaking and paddleboarding through his backyard all the time, though less so now because a tree fell over the channel (and my brother refuses to chainsaw it out).

He also owns land around Wekiva Island, another good place to check out (though a gator bit a woman's arm off a couple of years ago, the facts are in dispute as to whether she provoked it, she was just past the Bridge to Nowhere over by Wekiva Island). We went up the St. Johns to Blue Spring this past weekend, but we also sometimes head east through Lake Monroe to the lesser known part of the St. Johns, over by Mullet Lake and Lake Harney.

I'm partial to the north side of Orlando, I canoed those rivers for years when I was in Boy Scouts.

Another one of my brothers lives over by Lake Jesup, not far from Black Hammock, but there are a TON of gators up that way.

Thanks to you and caneinorlando bringing back some great memories of canoeing the Wekiva back in High School...Good Times!

Offered a job in Gainesville, considering a move but never been to the area. What are the safe/nice areas for an adult to live in town?

I can refer you to a local realtor who is practically considered the unofficial mayor of swampville she owns SR Realty.
mzjvsn6u1mn01.jpg

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back