OT - Gainesville

I'll be moving from Tuscaloosa to Gainesville area. Somewhere north would cut down my travel time home.

OK, if you are going to live in-town (shorter daily commute, longer weekend commute), look for something around the Millhopper area, it's north of NW 39th Avenue and convenient to I-75. This might be your best bet, since the "weekend" commutes will be once a week, while the daily commutes will be 4 or 5 times a week.

An area that would be probably your farthest daily commute (but shortest weekend commute) would be Live Oak. Some friends of our family moved up there in the early 1980s and they liked it. It's an extra 20 or 22 miles of Interstate driving beyond Lake City, but it's not like those roads would have a lot of rush hour traffic or anything.

I have no real idea of what you are looking for, rental or purchase, house or apartment, so just pick an area you like. I had a law school friend who grew up in Alachua (north of Gainesville), but I only drove up there once.

When I was a kid, sometimes we drove up to Ichetucknee to go tubing, it's roughly between Lake City and Gainesville. Only other town I've ever really heard about nice things about up there is High Springs, but I've never visited.

Advertisement
OK, if you are going to live in-town (shorter daily commute, longer weekend commute), look for something around the Millhopper area, it's north of NW 39th Avenue and convenient to I-75. This might be your best bet, since the "weekend" commutes will be once a week, while the daily commutes will be 4 or 5 times a week.

An area that would be probably your farthest daily commute (but shortest weekend commute) would be Live Oak. Some friends of our family moved up there in the early 1980s and they liked it. It's an extra 20 or 22 miles of Interstate driving beyond Lake City, but it's not like those roads would have a lot of rush hour traffic or anything.

I have no real idea of what you are looking for, rental or purchase, house or apartment, so just pick an area you like. I had a law school friend who grew up in Alachua (north of Gainesville), but I only drove up there once.

When I was a kid, sometimes we drove up to Ichetucknee to go tubing, it's roughly between Lake City and Gainesville. Only other town I've ever really heard about nice things about up there is High Springs, but I've never visited.

Preciate it bro. Good stuff.

High Springs is Beautiful....Literally on the Santa Fe river....

Below is the nicest part of Gainesville.

7740191002_ca28b8bf6a_b.jpg

Advertisement
I wanted to get up there, I just missed my chance, heard nice things though.
I have a very close friend who's house is in Ft White....Beautiful....Neighbor has an actual Spring in his backyard.....I've done alot of Artifact hunting in Alachua....Santa Fe River has been very kind to CaneinOrlando the past 20+ yrs....

Preciate it bro. Good stuff.

If you do go to Gainesville, hit up Satchel's Pizza. And Leonardo's (there's on in Millhopper). I like Leonardo's 706, which is more of an Italian restaurant than just pizza.

Other than that, Gainesville is mostly chain restaurants.

I have a very close friend who's house is in Ft White....Beautiful....Neighbor has an actual Spring in his backyard.....I've done alot of Artifact hunting in Alachua....Santa Fe River has been very kind to CaneinOrlando the past 20+ yrs....

I figured that was probably what it was all about!

Hey, just let me know if you want me to introduce you to my brother, he's on the Wekiva just north of 46. One of his neighbors in between him and 46 has a spring in his part of the river, it goes down about 100 feet. You're welcome to head over to canoe/kayak or look for artifacts.

Advertisement

Hey, just let me know if you want me to introduce you to my brother, he's on the Wekiva just north of 46. One of his neighbors in between him and 46 has a spring in his part of the river, it goes down about 100 feet. You're welcome to head over to canoe/kayak or look for artifacts.
Know that area well...I have a buddy who lives off of Markum Woods Rd....We found some stuff around there...Gotta watch for Gators though....not as bad as Jessup...but bad nonetheless...Heavily patroled by FDLE Game Wardens...

You know of any other good kayak/paddle boarding spots in Orlando? I usually just go to the Butler chain of lakes or WP chain of lakes, but looking for some other spots to go to. I’m in the Sand Lake/DP area, but don’t mind driving to find some new spots!

Know that area well...I have a buddy who lives off of Markum Woods Rd....We found some stuff around there...Gotta watch for Gators though....not as bad as Jessup...but bad nonetheless...Heavily patroled by FDLE Game Wardens...
Well ****...I certainly want to avoid gayturds...both the ones in the water and the UF ones!

Yeah, we see gators all the time, just saw one a couple of weekends ago right where we jump in the channel in my brother's backyard to go swimming.

We went up to the Volusia boat ramp just off of I-4 and 17-92 this past weekend, there was a gator right in front of us before we got into the St. Johns, then we shot up to Blue Spring and back again.

I sent you a PM about some of the other spots.

Advertisement
Yeah, we see gators all the time, just saw one a couple of weekends ago right where we jump in the channel in my brother's backyard to go swimming.

We went up to the Volusia boat ramp just off of I-4 and 17-92 this past weekend, there was a gator right in front of us before we got into the St. Johns, then we shot up to Blue Spring and back again.

I sent you a PM about some of the other spots.
K....I have so many spots, both Dig Sites and Surface Hunting it's dizzying...Lol...

You know of any other good kayak/paddle boarding spots in Orlando? I usually just go to the Butler chain of lakes or WP chain of lakes, but looking for some other spots to go to. I’m in the Sand Lake/DP area, but don’t mind driving to find some new spots!
I know the area well....Big Sand Lake and Little Sand Lake have grown immensely...Nice area nonetheless...Butler Chain is nice....

Advertisement
Right smack dab in the middle.

That way when you move your car in any direction, you are headed out of Gainesville. 😎

I'd move to Yeehaw Junction and would commute daily by one of those propeller backpacks/parachutes that the dude that used to crash sporting events in the 80's used to use.

Offered a job in Gainesville, considering a move but never been to the area. What are the safe/nice areas for an adult to live in town?
I've been there for several football games. Buddy of mine is a professor at the University. He is out near Newberry. Says he loves it. If you don't mind a little country bumpkin in your life, it may be worth a look.

I just PM'd @caneinorlando, you should try some of the spots up on the north side of town. One of my brothers lives on the Wekiva, and a good spot to start from is Katie's Landing, which is about a mile north of his place. People go kayaking and paddleboarding through his backyard all the time, though less so now because a tree fell over the channel (and my brother refuses to chainsaw it out).

He also owns land around Wekiva Island, another good place to check out (though a gator bit a woman's arm off a couple of years ago, the facts are in dispute as to whether she provoked it, she was just past the Bridge to Nowhere over by Wekiva Island). We went up the St. Johns to Blue Spring this past weekend, but we also sometimes head east through Lake Monroe to the lesser known part of the St. Johns, over by Mullet Lake and Lake Harney.

I'm partial to the north side of Orlando, I canoed those rivers for years when I was in Boy Scouts.

Another one of my brothers lives over by Lake Jesup, not far from Black Hammock, but there are a TON of gators up that way.

Advertisement
Back