OT : D.K. Metcalf SIAP

All you need to know to understand our incompetence is....

We lost Sony Michel (diehard fan) and then offered Nick Chubb when it looked like Michel was going to UGA.

UGA proceeds to get both.

We also passed on Cook for Yearby that year.

Michel, Chubb, Cook. We end up with Yearby.

Eh, Georgia bagged up Sony - heard it straight from a staff member. I remember Alf recruited that kid since like the 8th grade.

Advertisement
I was upset until I realized that was the year we took Bruce and Richards. While both those guys didn’t work out for different reasons, at the time we would probably be just as upset if we took a Miss kid over those kids.
Partially true...we also #84 kid, can't remember his name, oh wait Mullens. So we could've easily recruited Metcalf instead of him. Outside of local loyalty, a project like Metcalf over Mullens would've been an easy sell

Right. There are definitely "talent ID" misses in recruiting, as well as "lazy recruiting" misses.

Lots of armchair experts on here are assuming they are so smart that they can differentiate "free trip" visits. And, EVEN IF THAT IS TRUE, in 2022, you have a perfectly secure grown man, who has made it to the NFL, who has enough money not to care, talking about that one time that he couldn't even get his dream school to recruit him WHEN HE IS A TOP 100 4-STAR. Those are the slights that stick with you. Even Tom Brady still holds on to the slight of being drafted 199th, and he's had a great life. If this was just a kid looking for a free trip who was not given a free trip, he doesn't make the effort at all. People overlook the fact that Metcalf has nothing to gain from telling this story. If anything, it can make him look worse. Now, maybe if he told this story years ago, after he blew up as a sophomore. But now? Makes no sense at all.

Unless, of course, it is true. And that's what I'm pointing out. Whether the "Miami experts" want to justify and excuse the lack of effort by Golden's recruiting coordinator is NOT the same thing as accusing Metcalf of lying about the story.

It isn't a defense of Golden & Staff. There plenty of things to knock Golden on in recruiting. But this doesn't sound like one of them.

Sharpe asked DK if he was always going to Ole Miss because his dad played football there, DK says:

- "I told the Miami recruiting dude - Ya'll got the best chance of getting me, if you just offer & recruit me" - But Miami DID offer him
- "I'm like no, just offer me and recruit me and I WILL come to Miami" - So he goes from saying "best chance" to making it sound like a 100% chance
- "I was about to go to Cal for a little minute" - But he never visited Cal, or any school other than Ole Miss, so how realistic was Cal?

I don't think DK is lying or has some type of agenda. But this isn't testimony under oath.

It's just 2 dudes talking & telling stories - and sometimes those stories, while there's some truth in them, tend to get exaggerated a bit. And it feels like that's what happened here IMO.

"I was always going to Ole Miss" is kind of a boring answer, so it feels like he was just trying to make his recruitment sound a little more interesting.

Advertisement
This is 💯 Cook was 100% coming here. We took Yearby and he was 100% not coming here. If I remember correctly, his mother worked on our campus. Lmao “Golden” 😂
Cook definitely didn't want to play with Yearby again, and taking Yearby was a mistake.

But let's not act like AT LEAST 50% of the fans here were adamant that Yearby was better than Cook at the time.

And Cook committed & decommitted from Clemson and Florida before choosing FSU - so even without Yearby in the mix, it probably would've been a battle to the end for Cook.

It's not so much a lie, but more of a random memory without context. RGIII pulled this same stunt. RGIII has made it seem like he was waiting for a Miami offer, when Miami was going to land Jacory Harris, they had already signed Marve. The odds of Shannon picking a good, but not elite QB from Texas over a local 4 star QB that was lighting people up were somewhere between slim and none.
The forgotten thing in all of this is that RGIII beat out a transfer QB with a U inked on his back to start at Baylor. Kirby “the FSU Slayer” Freeman.

The forgotten thing in all of this is that RGIII beat out a transfer QB with a U inked on his back to start at Baylor. Kirby “the FSU Slayer” Freeman.
Very true Kirb-O was the last Baylor QB to start a game before RGIII.

It isn't a defense of Golden & Staff. There plenty of things to knock Golden on in recruiting. But this doesn't sound like one of them.

Sharpe asked DK if he was always going to Ole Miss because his dad played football there, DK says:

- "I told the Miami recruiting dude - Ya'll got the best chance of getting me, if you just offer & recruit me" - But Miami DID offer him
- "I'm like no, just offer me and recruit me and I WILL come to Miami" - So he goes from saying "best chance" to making it sound like a 100% chance
- "I was about to go to Cal for a little minute" - But he never visited Cal, or any school other than Ole Miss, so how realistic was Cal?

I don't think DK is lying or has some type of agenda. But this isn't testimony under oath.

It's just 2 dudes talking & telling stories - and sometimes those stories, while there's some truth in them, tend to get exaggerated a bit. And it feels like that's what happened here IMO.

"I was always going to Ole Miss" is kind of a boring answer, so it feels like he was just trying to make his recruitment sound a little more interesting.

Stop. Your post is definitely a defense of Golden and staff.

First, you don't know when the conversation transpired. So if Metcalf said those things to Golden's staff BEFORE he got the offer, would you stop defending Golden? Beeeeeecause...Metcalf says that he expressed a desire for an offer DURING HIS JUNIOR YEAR. Which would have been August 2014-May 2015. UM made the offer in June 2015. So at a bare minimum, it looks like what Metcalf said is CHRONOLOGICALLY accurate, and at the very best for Miami, Golden slow-played an offer to Metcalf by at least one month, probably more.

Second, the request was always "if you offer AND recruit me". So while you run around thinking that you have proved something by screenshotting an offer blurb on 247, you ignore whether Miami followed through by ACTUALLY RECRUITING Metcalf. Because if that didn't happen, the offer is just a piece of paper.

Third, you have no idea what Metcalf was saying when he moves from "best chance" to "will come". As Metcalf said, the UM staff told him that his longtime verbal to Ole Miss and his state of origin meant (to them) that this was all just a put-on. Of course, we have no idea if he said he "will come" to Miami to demonstrate his sincerity with a visit. The reality is that YOU are trying to turn this into "testimony under oath" by nitpicking every word and phrase.

FInally, you bring up Cal, as if having interest in another school is a binding commitment. He had interest in Cal. Who cares if it never became bigger? Now, if you said that he told Cal THE EXACT SAME STORY HE TOLD MIAMI, then maybe you would have a point.

The impact of this is very simple. Multiple posters on multiple threads have said that Metcalf is not telling the truth. You and astcloud are agreeing on a slightly nicer version of that, where you only "doubt" what Metcalf says, and chalk it up to "exaggeration".

But what SHOULD have happened is for the Miami staff to follow up on this lead. It's like finding a handgun at the scene of a crime, and then saying "yeah, but I'm not going to put that handgun into evidence, the exit wound looks like the murder weapon was a rifle". No. No no no no no.

We have too many recruiting "thinks-they-know-it-all" types who feel like they can "read the signs" that point to a recruit "just wanting a free trip". Wrong. These kids are 16 and 17 and 18 year olds. They change their minds. FREQUENTLY. It cost NOTHING to follow up on the interest. Clearly, Golden and staff did the bare minimum, they sent out a piece of paper saying "You have one free offer". But they didn't follow that up with substantive conversation and efforts to determine the strength and sincerity of the interest. And THAT cost us the CHANCE at signing Metcalf.

Sorry. No more defending Golden and his staff today, by writing off Metcalf's interview as "exaggeration" about a "free trip". Golden and staff dropped the ball. Nobody is saying Metcalf WOULD HAVE come to Miami (though maybe Metcalf is), we are simply saying that Miami guaranteed he would NOT come by slow-playing him and ignoring him.

Advertisement
I usually take stories like this with a grain of salt

1) 247 is showing Golden offered him
2) Looks like the only official visit he took was to Ole Miss - so that sort of matches up with him only ever wanting to go to Ole Miss
3) How often is a Top 100 recruit as easy as "just offer me and I'll go there"? Almost never. You usually offer and have to keep recruiting your *** off
4) DK was recruited & committed during the Hugh Freeze Ole Miss era. Probably good odds something shady was going on.

This seems like a simplified version of what was probably a much more complex recruitment.

View attachment 184739
I think y'all are misunderstanding what he said... He said he wanted us to RECRUIT him. Offering and recruiting someone can be two different things.

The level of incompetence for years at all levels, even above the head coach, is astounding. It was almost as if our coaches didn’t even want the best players and did not want to succeed at the highest level. Pathetic when you consider for a moment how good Metcalf is and was/

In fact I am angry because the same people who did not care about succeeding at the highest level lied to us repeatedly, kept charging just as much for tickets and merchandise all the while knowing they weren’t trying their hardest, and under coached a lot of players who might have had more professional success had they gone to another school.
Those coaches and admin screwed the fans and their own players. I hope none of them is ever a head coach or AD or high ranking official again.
it's called stealing

Stop. Your post is definitely a defense of Golden and staff.

First, you don't know when the conversation transpired. So if Metcalf said those things to Golden's staff BEFORE he got the offer, would you stop defending Golden? Beeeeeecause...Metcalf says that he expressed a desire for an offer DURING HIS JUNIOR YEAR. Which would have been August 2014-May 2015. UM made the offer in June 2015. So at a bare minimum, it looks like what Metcalf said is CHRONOLOGICALLY accurate, and at the very best for Miami, Golden slow-played an offer to Metcalf by at least one month, probably more.

Second, the request was always "if you offer AND recruit me". So while you run around thinking that you have proved something by screenshotting an offer blurb on 247, you ignore whether Miami followed through by ACTUALLY RECRUITING Metcalf. Because if that didn't happen, the offer is just a piece of paper.

Third, you have no idea what Metcalf was saying when he moves from "best chance" to "will come". As Metcalf said, the UM staff told him that his longtime verbal to Ole Miss and his state of origin meant (to them) that this was all just a put-on. Of course, we have no idea if he said he "will come" to Miami to demonstrate his sincerity with a visit. The reality is that YOU are trying to turn this into "testimony under oath" by nitpicking every word and phrase.

FInally, you bring up Cal, as if having interest in another school is a binding commitment. He had interest in Cal. Who cares if it never became bigger? Now, if you said that he told Cal THE EXACT SAME STORY HE TOLD MIAMI, then maybe you would have a point.

The impact of this is very simple. Multiple posters on multiple threads have said that Metcalf is not telling the truth. You and astcloud are agreeing on a slightly nicer version of that, where you only "doubt" what Metcalf says, and chalk it up to "exaggeration".

But what SHOULD have happened is for the Miami staff to follow up on this lead. It's like finding a handgun at the scene of a crime, and then saying "yeah, but I'm not going to put that handgun into evidence, the exit wound looks like the murder weapon was a rifle". No. No no no no no.

We have too many recruiting "thinks-they-know-it-all" types who feel like they can "read the signs" that point to a recruit "just wanting a free trip". Wrong. These kids are 16 and 17 and 18 year olds. They change their minds. FREQUENTLY. It cost NOTHING to follow up on the interest. Clearly, Golden and staff did the bare minimum, they sent out a piece of paper saying "You have one free offer". But they didn't follow that up with substantive conversation and efforts to determine the strength and sincerity of the interest. And THAT cost us the CHANCE at signing Metcalf.

Sorry. No more defending Golden and his staff today, by writing off Metcalf's interview as "exaggeration" about a "free trip". Golden and staff dropped the ball. Nobody is saying Metcalf WOULD HAVE come to Miami (though maybe Metcalf is), we are simply saying that Miami guaranteed he would NOT come by slow-playing him and ignoring him.

Here's what we got:

DK grew up and played HS football 5 minutes away from Ole Miss
DK's Dad coached him in HS
DK's Dad was an All-American football player at Ole Miss
Matt Luke, Ole Miss OC/OL coach & primary recruiter for DK at the time - played football at Ole Miss with DK's Dad
Grant Heard, Ole Miss WR coach & secondary recruiter for DK at the time - also played football at Ole Miss with DK's Dad
DK committed to Ole Miss his Freshman yr of HS
DK was on Ole Miss campus on Unofficial visits all the time
DK took ZERO official to visits to any other schools than Ole Miss
Ole Miss & Hugh Freeze were pretty openly running a crooked program for which the NCAA would later put them on probation
DK's timeline his Senior Yr of HS
1651665446946.png

And a :30 second video 7-8 years after his recruitment saying Miami would've been his leader had they offered & recruited him - which is the first anyone's ever heard of this

YOUR CONCLUSION: Miami, not Ole Miss, was actually DK's "dream school" - and Golden & Staff dropped the ball
MY CONCLUSION: Golden & Staff, despite their shortcomings & DK's story 7 years later, probably made the right assessment that DK was 100% Ole Miss

Advertisement
This is 💯 Cook was 100% coming here. We took Yearby and he was 100% not coming here. If I remember correctly, his mother worked on our campus. Lmao “Golden” 😂
That might be the dumbest move ever by a football coach, still makes me sick

Advertisement
Half the NFL is made up of guys who were under recruited. I’m sure those guys all wanted to go to the Alabamas and Ohio States of the world but they weren’t recruited by them.

Was anyone banging the table for Miami to sign DK Metcalf back in 2015 or whenever? If so, they were in a tiny minority. It’s really easy to go through the list of NFL players who ended up at smaller schools and say “Miami should have signed that guy!” after the fact. I guarantee you right now, there’s some kid who would love to play for Miami but he’s not really highly rated and isn’t getting an offer. He will also go on to be an NFL player. It happens to everyone. If someone out there is really clairvoyant enough to predict which 3 star guys will become superstars, he should be making millions as a scout right now.

DK wasn’t a 3 star or attended a small school, though. Lol. He was a solid 4 star guy w/ offers from major colleges. I think the point is, the staff didn’t want to work b/c he committed to Ole **** in 2013 as a freshman, & they thought it wasn’t worth their time.

Again, like I replied to Brooklyndee, and u kinda proved my point, somewhere we lost our way in doing due diligence in recruiting AND scouting. That’s y I love Mario keeping Fields on staff; dude didn’t just give up on Skinner just b/c he was a Bama commit. He kept that dialogue up. When I see an offer go out now, stars be damned; I’m confident b/c the new staff is relentless in both recruiting AND scouting.

Another point u made, which is a bit disingenuous is regarding the NFL being filled w/ under recruited guys. Under recruited is not synonymous w/ stars. There are plenty of 3 star guys who have multiple P5 offers. In talking to my boy who’s in this arena, stars r based upon part ability, part production, part measurable, part school prestige, part recruiting prestige, part exposure (camps). A lot of 3 star kids didn’t have the exposure, & b/c of that, some of those offers came in late. With that being said, The Law of Large Numbers tells us the NFL is going to be composed majority of non-blue chip players b/c there’s a vastly bigger pool of such type.

There’s only 262 draft slots:
-Any given yr, there’s only 34 (avg.) 5* recruits: There’s a 52% chance (17-18) to make the league.

-Any given yr, there’s only 332 (avg.) 4* recruits:
There’s a 23% chance (76-78) to make the league.

So that’s, on avg. 93-96 spots of the 262 draft selections that are being taken up by blue chip players. You only have about 366 (avg)/yr of blue chip caliber players, but you have a 1000’s of 3-star & below players, so the likelihood of such players being drafted is much greater.

To be fair, a number of programs probably have had this happen, although it doesn’t make it any less frustrating.

Both RGIII and Johnny Manziel wanted to go to Texas, but Mack Brown passed.

Reminds me when nobody believed a poster that Kylee Ringo wanted to be a cane and manny never went after him. FFS!!!!! We keep hearing from multiple nfl players. Wtf??!!!!!
How did we continuously hire morons!!!
We never capatalized long term on our aura and legacy. Bama built there own and they aren't making the same mistakes we did.

Advertisement
Back