OT : D.K. Metcalf SIAP

This is why we've all suffered these "dark ages." We're not Nebraska or some powerhouse of yesteryear. Yeah, we've been living in the past a little these past 2 decades, but we all know that this program can be great because we have two clean aces (1) a city that sells itself and (2) one of the most fertile recruiting areas in the country (if not the most fertile). Seeing coach after coach flunk here given this deck of cards was extra sucky. Kids want to be here. Miami has cache nationally. And it always will.

Advertisement
I usually take stories like this with a grain of salt

1) 247 is showing Golden offered him
2) Looks like the only official visit he took was to Ole Miss - so that sort of matches up with him only ever wanting to go to Ole Miss
3) How often is a Top 100 recruit as easy as "just offer me and I'll go there"? Almost never. You usually offer and have to keep recruiting your *** off
4) DK was recruited & committed during the Hugh Freeze Ole Miss era. Probably good odds something shady was going on.

This seems like a simplified version of what was probably a much more complex recruitment.

1651594096208.png

Last edited:
Advertisement
To me it worked like this in the SEC at that time. Recruit commits to SEC school, but still flirts with Miami. SEC school sees us as a legit threat for the recruit so they up their bag. In the end recruits gets more to stay committed to the SEC school and not go to the U. We saw this over and over again during the Golden, CMR, and Diaz eras
For locals yeah. But not a kid from Mississippi. That's just my opinion though. It definitely happened ALOT with locals in the end. But there was more than a decent amount of the staffs just being clown shows and not closing on kids too. Real bad communication throughout the years. Won't even get into the rest.

I usually take stories like this with a grain of salt

1) 247 is showing Golden offered him
2) Looks like the only official visit he took was to Ole Miss - so that sort of matches up with him only ever wanting to go to Ole Miss
3) How often is a Top 100 recruit as easy as "just offer me and I'll go there"? Almost never. You usually offer and have to keep recruiting your *** off
4) DK was recruited & committed during the Hugh Freeze Ole Miss era. Probably good odds something shady was going on.

This seems like a simplified version of what was probably a much more complex recruitment.

View attachment 184739

Not very complex...They probably assumed he wanted a free visit to Miami considering he was a top player committed to his hometown school for a while

All you need to know to understand our incompetence is....

We lost Sony Michel (diehard fan) and then offered Nick Chubb when it looked like Michel was going to UGA.

UGA proceeds to get both.

We also passed on Cook for Yearby that year.

Michel, Chubb, Cook. We end up with Yearby.

We didn't pass on Cook. Staff didn't know it at the time, but taking Yearby killed our chances with Cook. They still tried to recruit both though.

Half the NFL is made up of guys who were under recruited. I’m sure those guys all wanted to go to the Alabamas and Ohio States of the world but they weren’t recruited by them.

Was anyone banging the table for Miami to sign DK Metcalf back in 2015 or whenever? If so, they were in a tiny minority. It’s really easy to go through the list of NFL players who ended up at smaller schools and say “Miami should have signed that guy!” after the fact. I guarantee you right now, there’s some kid who would love to play for Miami but he’s not really highly rated and isn’t getting an offer. He will also go on to be an NFL player. It happens to everyone. If someone out there is really clairvoyant enough to predict which 3 star guys will become superstars, he should be making millions as a scout right now.

Not disagreeing. But here's the thing.

The kid was a 4-star Top 100/Top 125 guy. We only took one the year before (Cager) and even if we get all the guys we signed (Ahmmon Richards, Sam Bruce, Dionte Mullins AND AND AND Michael Irvin who was projected to TE AND AND AND Dayall Harris, a JuCo who went to HS and JC in, wait for it, Mississippi), we could have easily taken Metcalf over Harris.

IT DOESN'T COST NOTHIN' TO RECRUIT THE KID. Watch his tape. Send him mail. Send him e-mail. Send him texts. HE CALLED MIAMI AND ASKED TO BE RECRUITED. Regardless of the Ole Miss verbal, you need to figure out what is happening. Talk to the kid and find out what he likes about Miami. Find out what his issues are with Ole Miss. See if this is a possibility worth pursuing before just straight-up ignoring the kid.

We can have a million conversations about whether he was overrated/underrated. Whether he was great at Ole Miss. Whether he is great in the NFL. But when a kid is a 17 year old HS junior with the brass to call a school directly asking to be recruited, we should never have looked that gift horse in the mouth.

And who knows, maybe he would have stuck with Ole Miss. But maybe, just maybe, he might have picked Miami. Or maybe, just maybe, we were such a strong second choice that he gives us another look when we hire Richt. You never know.

1651599461343.png

Advertisement
Not very complex...They probably assumed he wanted a free visit to Miami considering he was a top player committed to his hometown school for a while

I agree with you - and all the signs point to DK just wanting a free trip.

So it looks like the coaches made the correct call here - but we're 4 pages deep of bashing them for being incompetent.

That's why I take these "I wanted to go to Miami" stories with a grain of salt.

Hindsight is too easy. And yes, Miami recruiting has lazy since the last years of Larry Coker.

San Diego State was the only team to recruit Faulk as a RB. Miami didn’t, nor did any $EC team.

Miami, by the way, was only team to recruit Clinton Portis as a RB. His hometown Gaytors wanted him as a CB.

Not disagreeing. But here's the thing.

The kid was a 4-star Top 100/Top 125 guy. We only took one the year before (Cager) and even if we get all the guys we signed (Ahmmon Richards, Sam Bruce, Dionte Mullins AND AND AND Michael Irvin who was projected to TE AND AND AND Dayall Harris, a JuCo who went to HS and JC in, wait for it, Mississippi), we could have easily taken Metcalf over Harris.

IT DOESN'T COST NOTHIN' TO RECRUIT THE KID. Watch his tape. Send him mail. Send him e-mail. Send him texts. HE CALLED MIAMI AND ASKED TO BE RECRUITED. Regardless of the Ole Miss verbal, you need to figure out what is happening. Talk to the kid and find out what he likes about Miami. Find out what his issues are with Ole Miss. See if this is a possibility worth pursuing before just straight-up ignoring the kid.

We can have a million conversations about whether he was overrated/underrated. Whether he was great at Ole Miss. Whether he is great in the NFL. But when a kid is a 17 year old HS junior with the brass to call a school directly asking to be recruited, we should never have looked that gift horse in the mouth.

And who knows, maybe he would have stuck with Ole Miss. But maybe, just maybe, he might have picked Miami. Or maybe, just maybe, we were such a strong second choice that he gives us another look when we hire Richt. You never know.

View attachment 184750
Yeah my comment wasn’t specifically about Metcalf, although I know that’s what the thread is about. It was more aimed at the guys who are mad that we didn’t sign JJ Watt or Marshall Faulk or any of the other under the radar guys who wanted to come to UM but weren’t offered. Watt literally walked on and Faulk’s only offer was SDSU. In hindsight both those guys turned out to be hall of famers but at the time, people weren’t beating down their doors with offers. There’s SO MANY guys who got ignored by their dream schools but ended up being great players.

We didn't pass on Cook. Staff didn't know it at the time, but taking Yearby killed our chances with Cook. They still tried to recruit both though.

Pass wasn't the best wording. **** the bed with his recruitment is more accurate. The staff should've known taking Yearby was going to influence Cooks decision.

Advertisement
Yeah my comment wasn’t specifically about Metcalf, although I know that’s what the thread is about. It was more aimed at the guys who are mad that we didn’t sign JJ Watt or Marshall Faulk or any of the other under the radar guys who wanted to come to UM but weren’t offered. Watt literally walked on and Faulk’s only offer was SDSU. In hindsight both those guys turned out to be hall of famers but at the time, people weren’t beating down their doors with offers. There’s SO MANY guys who got ignored by their dream schools but ended up being great players.

Right. There are definitely "talent ID" misses in recruiting, as well as "lazy recruiting" misses.

Lots of armchair experts on here are assuming they are so smart that they can differentiate "free trip" visits. And, EVEN IF THAT IS TRUE, in 2022, you have a perfectly secure grown man, who has made it to the NFL, who has enough money not to care, talking about that one time that he couldn't even get his dream school to recruit him WHEN HE IS A TOP 100 4-STAR. Those are the slights that stick with you. Even Tom Brady still holds on to the slight of being drafted 199th, and he's had a great life. If this was just a kid looking for a free trip who was not given a free trip, he doesn't make the effort at all. People overlook the fact that Metcalf has nothing to gain from telling this story. If anything, it can make him look worse. Now, maybe if he told this story years ago, after he blew up as a sophomore. But now? Makes no sense at all.

Unless, of course, it is true. And that's what I'm pointing out. Whether the "Miami experts" want to justify and excuse the lack of effort by Golden's recruiting coordinator is NOT the same thing as accusing Metcalf of lying about the story.

Hindsight is too easy. And yes, Miami recruiting has lazy since the last years of Larry Coker.

San Diego State was the only team to recruit Faulk as a RB. Miami didn’t, nor did any $EC team.

Miami, by the way, was only team to recruit Clinton Portis as a RB. His hometown Gaytors wanted him as a CB.

My all time favorite is Cam Newton desperately wanting to be a QB at UGA, and Richt, who was a solid and respected QB coach, wanted him at TE.

Advertisement
Pass wasn't the best wording. **** the bed with his recruitment is more accurate. The staff should've known taking Yearby was going to influence Cooks decision.

Rumor was that Cook didn't want to share the backfield with Yearby for the 3rd time (optimist and Central). he wanted to go his own path. Taking James Coley as our OC, and in turn taking Yearby, literally killed any chances of that happening

Rumor was that Cook didn't want to share the backfield with Yearby for the 3rd time (optimist and Central). he wanted to go his own path. Taking James Coley as our OC, and in turn taking Yearby, literally killed any chances of that happening
This is 💯 Cook was 100% coming here. We took Yearby and he was 100% not coming here. If I remember correctly, his mother worked on our campus. Lmao “Golden” 😂

This is 💯 Cook was 100% coming here. We took Yearby and he was 100% not coming here. If I remember correctly, his mother worked on our campus. Lmao “Golden” 😂
Well coley wanted Yearby bro. He clearly picked the right one.

Advertisement
Back