OT: Corruption in NCAA BBAll

Advertisement
So what happens if every single major college basketball program is involved? Lol

So what happens if every single major college basketball program is involved? Lol

I don't think there's any doubt they're all involved.

It's like the baseball steroid stuff where it became impossible to compete with all the cheating unless they started cheating too. Not everyone went down in the steroid fire, but you can be certain there were a lot more guys involved in it than the number who went down. Same thing will likely happen here based on the amount of actual evidence they have of the cheating.

They're all cheating; it's just a matter of how brazen they were or how much of the cheating was caught on tape. "Amateur" basketball is an absolute sham. College basketball was ruined many years ago.

Advertisement
Yeah.......there's going to be a crap ton of schools involved.

[TWEET]913095940134903815[/TWEET]

Just massively relieved that this isn't stopping at Adidas. Obviously, Nike has been doing this for years, if not decades, they're just more adept at it by now and Adidas was the first to get busted. The game is sooo dirty, something like this needed to happen. It would just be incredibly disheartening if the newest to the game and least sophisticated were the only ones to go down for it while all of the blue bloods who invented and got fat from the game sat back and kept playing while watching it all go down. God, I hope Alabaga and Clemzon and Taint end up getting caught up in this Nike side of the investigation.

As has been mentioned more than once in this thread, with apologies for not giving credit, the best hope for us UM fans, is that this thing becomes MASSIVE and we become a footnote to it, rather than the second of only two school names mentioned on the ESPN 24/7 bottom of screen scroll...

Dook and Kentucky will still somehow emerge unscathed.

I don't know about Kentucky if they're involved but Dook will definitely go unscathed....they'll protect ACC basketball as much as they can, that's one of the positives of being the dominant conference in any college sport.

First, I haven't made a single comment on this situation, just on you. Why, because you're a ******* bully who needs a beatdown. And your example is retarded, btw. Stop trying to control what is said on the board. You really want everyone to have the same ******* opinion, on everything? How ******* boring. No idea what you hope to gain by controlling the spin, as it doesn't fool anyone?

You seem to be following my every post closely. Why do you care so much about what I post? Very odd. I can't control what's posted, but I sure as fūck will counter whenever I feel like it. So no, I can't control a single fūcking thing here, other than what I post.

Since you're now so much all up in your feelings about my posts that you feel bullied, I suggest you take some manhood classes. Clearly you're a little sensitive bītch if you feel bullied by words on a screen. Oh, I guess you want to fight, too? Blue lot. Next home game.

Advertisement
Yeah.......there's going to be a crap ton of schools involved.

[TWEET]913095940134903815[/TWEET]

This is like a fight between two football players where only the second guy gets flagged.

It's about time to go to the instant replay so that we can establish that adidas was belatedly trying to become as dirty as Nike has been for decades.

EDIT: Oh, and clearly UnderArmour doesn't do this, because Kevin Durant says that none of the kids want to wear UnderArmour...

Dook and Kentucky will still somehow emerge unscathed.

I don't know about Kentucky if they're involved but Dook will definitely go unscathed....they'll protect ACC basketball as much as they can, that's one of the positives of being the dominant conference in any college sport.

Similar to the NCAA protecting SEC football. And Big Ten football, and Big 12 football and so on and so on.

Has anybody here played travel AAU basketball or have a friend or relative that has, or has coached?

All kinds of shīt has been going on forever. Those that have been involved know this. It starts early if you're talented.

First, I haven't made a single comment on this situation, just on you. Why, because you're a ****ing bully who needs a beatdown. And your example is retarded, btw. Stop trying to control what is said on the board. You really want everyone to have the same ****ing opinion, on everything? How ****ing boring. No idea what you hope to gain by controlling the spin, as it doesn't fool anyone?

You seem to be following my every post closely. Why do you care so much about what I post? Very odd. I can't control what's posted, but I sure as fūck will counter whenever I feel like it. So no, I can't control a single fūcking thing here, other than what I post.

Since you're now so much all up in your feelings about my posts that you feel bullied, I suggest you take some manhood classes. Clearly you're a little sensitive bītch if you feel bullied by words on a screen. Oh, I guess you want to fight, too? Blue lot. Next home game.

Jeezus guys. Just let it go. If all the other dude wants to do is attack you personally, just ignore them like the little bithc they are. Personally, I think that there's nothing wrong with bringing some perspective to this scenario and saying that it may be a bit early to start calling for the death penalty for our own beloved program. That kind of talk is counterproductive. But **** stop making it personal and breaking out into slap fights in the thread. It's just annoying to have to screen through so much bullsh!t.

TIA...

Advertisement
Has anybody here played travel AAU basketball or have a friend or relative that has, or has coached?

All kinds of shīt has been going on forever. Those that have been involved know this. It starts early if you're talented.

Yup, didn't know it was this bad though

Well, ****.

When Miami wasn't included in the original headlines this morning, I breathed a sigh of relief, thought we were safe. Not so much.

I'm an attorney, which is to say I have an expensive piece of paper to my name and will overcharge you for my services. But it also means that I know how to read a complaint. Allow me to walk you through this, dispel some of the misinformation, and clarify just how nervous we should be.

Miami is specifically referenced in the complaint against Gatto, Code, Dawkins, Augustine, and Sood as University-7. The good stuff (read: bad stuff) is on pages 25-28.

The Big Picture:
Gatto et al funneled money to kids in exchange for them a) committing to play basketball at specific Adidas-sponsored universities and b) agreeing to sign with certain managers, agents, and companies once they turned pro.

The Miami Connection:
A Miami coach ("Coach-3") allegedly requested that Dawkins and Adidas pay a kid ("Player-12," Little?) to commit to Miami.

The Miami Fraud:
Once a player is paid, he becomes ineligible. So Miami expended its resources (a scholarship) to a player that isn't even eligible to play (because of a bribe facilitated by a Miami coach). A nasty little loop which technically constitutes fraud against our beloved university. I suppose this is why Miami isn't listed by name -- the university itself is not implicated and is in fact victim.

The Proof Against Miami:
On a wiretapped call, Dawkins told Code that, according to Augustine, "'Coach-3' knows everything" and that they "could start the process" to funnel money to Player-12 in exchange for his commitment to Miami. Dawkins further informed Code that Coach-3 "knows something gotta happen for it to get done."

On another wiretap, Gato and Code discuss Coach-3's request for the $150K payment to commit to Miami over another school "sponsored by an rival athletic apparel company that allegedly had offered Player-12 a substantial sum of money." This school appears to be Arizona, which was willing to pay the $150K that Adidas et al was trying to match.

Gatto told Code that a Miami coach "just asked about the kid and then he said supposedly the kid was having a meeting with" an Adidas executive at an Adidas high school event.

Why Wasn't Miami's Coach Charged?
Because there's not enough evidence against him, just these loose references made to his involvement by Gatto and Code. Hopefully nothing else turns up. Also, the coaches charged were charged for taking personal bribes, to use their influence over student athletes. Our coach merely and allegedly requested a payment be made to a student athlete. The coach himself was not benefitting from this arrangement.

What Happens to Miami?
Impossible to say. It's going to depend very much on what comes out in Gatto et al's defenses. Will they clam up and take a deal? Will they clam up and fight like ****? Will the roll over on one another? Again, impossible to say.

The good news is that the quoted statements by Gatto and Code referencing the Miami coach are wishy-washy and vague (e.g. he "knows everything" and "knows something gotta happen for it to get done"). There is no smoking gun, just Gatto's reference to Miami's request and the suggestion that Coach 3 made the request and knows what's up.

My Best Guess:
Coach 3 is never charged with anything because there's simply not enough evidence against him to do so. Either Gatto et al clam up, or it becomes a game of he-said-she-said.

Coach 3 is fired from Miami within the next month.

The NCAA uses these complaints as a roadmap to attack the implicated universities, including Miami. That said, the NCAA is incompetent and the longer this lingers, the worse for them. I suspect they'll take what was handed to them on a silver platter by the FBI and sweep everything else under the rug. Being that only one Miami coach is implicated, and the evidence against him is weak, the NCAA will hit Miami with a notice of allegations, but the allegations will be limited to actions made by Coach 3. Miami will argue it's done right by firing said coach and with no other coaches implicated, skates with a relative slap on the wrist.

As always, Go Canes.

So far, the most worthwhile post in this thread.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Louisville player is already enrolled and a member of the team. The only possible allegation vs Miami, which is not criminal per the indictment, is that there was a conversation by others about a Miami coach and an uncommitted player.

Also, so along with the player having enrolled at Louisville (assuming this is correct, one would think the money was paid) Pitino already has a very recent track record at Louisville with the hooker/recruits incident, which was not an allegation but was proven.

If you recognize this guy then you know this has been going on forever. It more than likely intensified with Adidas trying to make a run at Nike recently but these shoe guys have had their hands in high school and college hoops forever.

sonny_nbeqkc3n_g7dcpewo.jpg

Advertisement

It's like the baseball steroid stuff where it became impossible to compete with all the cheating unless they started cheating too. Not everyone went down in the steroid fire, but you can be certain there were a lot more guys involved in it than the number who went down. Same thing will likely happen here based on the amount of actual evidence they have of the cheating.

They're all cheating; it's just a matter of how brazen they were or how much of the cheating was caught on tape. "Amateur" basketball is an absolute sham. College basketball was ruined many years ago.

The "one and done" scam was largely responsible. Players who have zero interest in going to college are forced to choose a school (it's still better viz for getting drafted over playing in Europe or China). The players know they won't be at the school long, so they choose the school purely on best "business decision." Coaches know they are renting a player for a year, the NCAA knows the players have zero interest or incentive to attend class, the NBA likes it because it let's owners get a free one year look at a player before they offer them 100 million contracts, the shoe companies know that they have to lock up these kids before they go pro because players rarely change shoe companies once they are invested. It also makes college bb terrible to watch since every player who knows he is one and done wants to show off to up his draft status. Nothing like the sport of college basketball in terms of dirtiness and adults exploiting the sham of amateurism. In college football, only maybe 1 or 2 players TOTAL are NFL ready at 17 years old. Baseball is by far the fairest, get paid in minors, or go to college. Free and fair choice. Basketball is the most ridiculous and corrupt of them all.

Last edited:
Vacarro was the first person I thought of when I heard about this. I actually thought that crap was legal...it’s been so out in the open for so long.

If you recognize this guy then you know this has been going on forever. It more than likely intensified with Adidas trying to make a run at Nike recently but these shoe guys have had their hands in high school and college hoops forever.

View attachment 50527

God Bless Sonny V...

JC

The "one and done" scam was largely responsible. Players who have zero interest in going to college are forced to choose a school (it's still better viz for getting drafted over playing in Europe or China). The players know they won't be at the school long, so they choose the school purely on best "business decision." Coaches know they are renting a player for a year, the NCAA knows the players have zero interest or incentive to attend class, the NBA likes it because it let's owners get a free one year look at a player before they offer them 100 million contracts, the shoe companies know that they have to lock up these kids before they go pro because players rarely change shoe companies once they are invested. It also makes college bb terrible to watch since every player who knows he is one and done wants to show off to up his draft status. Nothing like the sport of college basketball in terms of dirtiness and adults exploiting the sham of amateurism. In college football, only maybe 1 or 2 players TOTAL are NFL ready at 17 years old. Baseball is by far the fairest, get paid in minors, or go to college. Free and fair choice. Basketball is the most ridiculous and corrupt of them all.[/QUOTE]

Spot. On.!

Advertisement
Back