OT: Corruption in NCAA BBAll

Well, ****.

When Miami wasn't included in the original headlines this morning, I breathed a sigh of relief, thought we were safe. Not so much.

I'm an attorney, which is to say I have an expensive piece of paper to my name and will overcharge you for my services. But it also means that I know how to read a complaint. Allow me to walk you through this, dispel some of the misinformation, and clarify just how nervous we should be.

Miami is specifically referenced in the complaint against Gatto, Code, Dawkins, Augustine, and Sood as University-7. The good stuff (read: bad stuff) is on pages 25-28.

The Big Picture:
Gatto et al funneled money to kids in exchange for them a) committing to play basketball at specific Adidas-sponsored universities and b) agreeing to sign with certain managers, agents, and companies once they turned pro.

The Miami Connection:
A Miami coach ("Coach-3") allegedly requested that Dawkins and Adidas pay a kid ("Player-12," Little?) to commit to Miami.

The Miami Fraud:
Once a player is paid, he becomes ineligible. So Miami expended its resources (a scholarship) to a player that isn't even eligible to play (because of a bribe facilitated by a Miami coach). A nasty little loop which technically constitutes fraud against our beloved university. I suppose this is why Miami isn't listed by name -- the university itself is not implicated and is in fact victim.

The Proof Against Miami:
On a wiretapped call, Dawkins told Code that, according to Augustine, "'Coach-3' knows everything" and that they "could start the process" to funnel money to Player-12 in exchange for his commitment to Miami. Dawkins further informed Code that Coach-3 "knows something gotta happen for it to get done."

On another wiretap, Gato and Code discuss Coach-3's request for the $150K payment to commit to Miami over another school "sponsored by an rival athletic apparel company that allegedly had offered Player-12 a substantial sum of money." This school appears to be Arizona, which was willing to pay the $150K that Adidas et al was trying to match.

Gatto told Code that a Miami coach "just asked about the kid and then he said supposedly the kid was having a meeting with" an Adidas executive at an Adidas high school event.

Why Wasn't Miami's Coach Charged?
Because there's not enough evidence against him, just these loose references made to his involvement by Gatto and Code. Hopefully nothing else turns up. Also, the coaches charged were charged for taking personal bribes, to use their influence over student athletes. Our coach merely and allegedly requested a payment be made to a student athlete. The coach himself was not benefitting from this arrangement.

What Happens to Miami?
Impossible to say. It's going to depend very much on what comes out in Gatto et al's defenses. Will they clam up and take a deal? Will they clam up and fight like ****? Will the roll over on one another? Again, impossible to say.

The good news is that the quoted statements by Gatto and Code referencing the Miami coach are wishy-washy and vague (e.g. he "knows everything" and "knows something gotta happen for it to get done"). There is no smoking gun, just Gatto's reference to Miami's request and the suggestion that Coach 3 made the request and knows what's up.

My Best Guess:
Coach 3 is never charged with anything because there's simply not enough evidence against him to do so. Either Gatto et al clam up, or it becomes a game of he-said-she-said.

Coach 3 is fired from Miami within the next month.

The NCAA uses these complaints as a roadmap to attack the implicated universities, including Miami. That said, the NCAA is incompetent and the longer this lingers, the worse for them. I suspect they'll take what was handed to them on a silver platter by the FBI and sweep everything else under the rug. Being that only one Miami coach is implicated, and the evidence against him is weak, the NCAA will hit Miami with a notice of allegations, but the allegations will be limited to actions made by Coach 3. Miami will argue it's done right by firing said coach and with no other coaches implicated, skates with a relative slap on the wrist.

As always, Go Canes.

So far, the most worthwhile post in this thread.

I too am a lawyer and agree 100% with this analysis. I think that Coach 3 may be dirty, but in the world of "evidence" such as a criminal prosecution, this data shows that he was interested but could not complete the illegal transaction.....

His defense will be that he was actually a whistle-blower complaining that a rival school [and its shoe company] was buying players he was recruiting. Unless he is on one of the recorded calls, he will not face criminal charges. But, a school like Miami cannot have shady guys on campus. It is a reality that we can't be as dirty as others because or our past. Coach 3 will leave to pursue other opportunities........

Advertisement
Well, ****.

When Miami wasn't included in the original headlines this morning, I breathed a sigh of relief, thought we were safe. Not so much.

I'm an attorney, which is to say I have an expensive piece of paper to my name and will overcharge you for my services. But it also means that I know how to read a complaint. Allow me to walk you through this, dispel some of the misinformation, and clarify just how nervous we should be.

Miami is specifically referenced in the complaint against Gatto, Code, Dawkins, Augustine, and Sood as University-7. The good stuff (read: bad stuff) is on pages 25-28.

The Big Picture:
Gatto et al funneled money to kids in exchange for them a) committing to play basketball at specific Adidas-sponsored universities and b) agreeing to sign with certain managers, agents, and companies once they turned pro.

The Miami Connection:
A Miami coach ("Coach-3") allegedly requested that Dawkins and Adidas pay a kid ("Player-12," Little?) to commit to Miami.

The Miami Fraud:
Once a player is paid, he becomes ineligible. So Miami expended its resources (a scholarship) to a player that isn't even eligible to play (because of a bribe facilitated by a Miami coach). A nasty little loop which technically constitutes fraud against our beloved university. I suppose this is why Miami isn't listed by name -- the university itself is not implicated and is in fact victim.

The Proof Against Miami:
On a wiretapped call, Dawkins told Code that, according to Augustine, "'Coach-3' knows everything" and that they "could start the process" to funnel money to Player-12 in exchange for his commitment to Miami. Dawkins further informed Code that Coach-3 "knows something gotta happen for it to get done."

On another wiretap, Gato and Code discuss Coach-3's request for the $150K payment to commit to Miami over another school "sponsored by an rival athletic apparel company that allegedly had offered Player-12 a substantial sum of money." This school appears to be Arizona, which was willing to pay the $150K that Adidas et al was trying to match.

Gatto told Code that a Miami coach "just asked about the kid and then he said supposedly the kid was having a meeting with" an Adidas executive at an Adidas high school event.

Because there's not enough evidence against him, just these loose references made to his involvement by Gatto and Code. Hopefully nothing else turns up. Also, the coaches charged were charged for taking personal bribes, to use their influence over student athletes. Our coach merely and allegedly requested a payment be made to a student athlete. The coach himself was not benefitting from this arrangement.

What Happens to Miami?
Impossible to say. It's going to depend very much on what comes out in Gatto et al's defenses. Will they clam up and take a deal? Will they clam up and fight like ****? Will the roll over on one another? Again, impossible to say.

The good news is that the quoted statements by Gatto and Code referencing the Miami coach are wishy-washy and vague (e.g. he "knows everything" and "knows something gotta happen for it to get done"). There is no smoking gun, just Gatto's reference to Miami's request and the suggestion that Coach 3 made the request and knows what's up.

My Best Guess:
Coach 3 is never charged with anything because there's simply not enough evidence against him to do so. Either Gatto et al clam up, or it becomes a game of he-said-she-said.

The NCAA uses these complaints as a roadmap to attack the implicated universities, including Miami. That said, the NCAA is incompetent and the longer this lingers, the worse for them. I suspect they'll take what was handed to them on a silver platter by the FBI and sweep everything else under the rug. Being that only one Miami coach is implicated, and the evidence against him is weak, the NCAA will hit Miami with a notice of allegations, but the allegations will be limited to actions made by Coach 3. Miami will argue it's done right by firing said coach and with no other coaches implicated, skates with a relative slap on the wrist.

As always, Go Canes.

I too am a lawyer and agree 100% with this analysis. I think that Coach 3 may be dirty, but in the world of "evidence" such as a criminal prosecution, this data shows that he was interested but could not complete the illegal transaction.....

His defense will be that he was actually a whistle-blower complaining that a rival school [and its shoe company] was buying players he was recruiting. Unless he is on one of the recorded calls, he will not face criminal charges. But, a school like Miami cannot have shady guys on campus. It is a reality that we can't be as dirty as others because or our past. Coach 3 will leave to pursue other opportunities........

That sounds like a plausible scenario based on what we actually know right now. I appreciate when logic and facts are used to come to a conclusion. Naturally there are other possible outcomes, some of them worse than this. But right now, considering what we actually know, this seems like a fair assessment.

Yet there are people, and I don't understand why, that are openly cheerleading for this to be a death penalty type situation for Miami or at least some type of severe NCAA result, which would actually require a lot more evidence of malfeasance than what we actually know so far.

Thank you for your post

NCAA basketball sounds like it's modeled after the old Soviet and Eastern Bloc sports programs.

Well, ****.

The Big Picture:

The Miami Connection:

The Miami Fraud:

The Proof Against Miami:

What Happens to Miami?

My Best Guess:

As always, Go Canes.

That sounds like a plausible scenario based on what we actually know right now. I appreciate when logic and facts are used to come to a conclusion. Naturally there are other possible outcomes, some of them worse than this. But right now, considering what we actually know, this seems like a fair assessment.

Yet there are people, and I don't understand why, that are openly cheerleading for this to be a death penalty type situation for Miami or at least some type of severe NCAA result, which would actually require a lot more evidence of malfeasance than what we actually know so far.

Thank you for your post

Then again IF there is no tape on coach#3 it could be he didn't really exist? Could be a play to get $ out of Adidas and to put more $ in the hands of the recruits' handlers...liars & thieves....by the way ADIDAS stock isn't taking a hit....

Yeah.......there's going to be a crap ton of schools involved.

[TWEET]913095940134903815[/TWEET]

Just massively relieved that this isn't stopping at Adidas. Obviously, Nike has been doing this for years, if not decades, they're just more adept at it by now and Adidas was the first to get busted. The game is sooo dirty, something like this needed to happen. It would just be incredibly disheartening if the newest to the game and least sophisticated were the only ones to go down for it while all of the blue bloods who invented and got fat from the game sat back and kept playing while watching it all go down. God, I hope Alabaga and Clemzon and Taint end up getting caught up in this Nike side of the investigation.

As has been mentioned more than once in this thread, with apologies for not giving credit, the best hope for us UM fans, is that this thing becomes MASSIVE and we become a footnote to it, rather than the second of only two school names mentioned on the ESPN 24/7 bottom of screen scroll...

It's funny that Sonny Viccaro decided to chime in and point the finger at these guys when I was like, Sonny, ***** YOU STARTED THIS WHOLE THING!!!

Advertisement
Yeah.......there's going to be a crap ton of schools involved.

[TWEET]913095940134903815[/TWEET]

Just massively relieved that this isn't stopping at Adidas. Obviously, Nike has been doing this for years, if not decades, they're just more adept at it by now and Adidas was the first to get busted. The game is sooo dirty, something like this needed to happen. It would just be incredibly disheartening if the newest to the game and least sophisticated were the only ones to go down for it while all of the blue bloods who invented and got fat from the game sat back and kept playing while watching it all go down. God, I hope Alabaga and Clemzon and Taint end up getting caught up in this Nike side of the investigation.

As has been mentioned more than once in this thread, with apologies for not giving credit, the best hope for us UM fans, is that this thing becomes MASSIVE and we become a footnote to it, rather than the second of only two school names mentioned on the ESPN 24/7 bottom of screen scroll...

It's funny that Sonny Viccaro decided to chime in and point the finger at these guys when I was like, Sonny, **** YOU STARTED THIS WHOLE THING!!!

Sonny saw me hit an accidental 3 pointer in a church rec league outside of Pittsburgh in 1989 and slipped me $5 after the game. Gave my dad $20. His investment was blown when I stopped growing at 5'11".

Nonetheless, between Vacarro and Calipari effing Pittsburgh (a football town with sometimes almost a disdain for basketball) has done a lot to create the current filthy nature of college hoops.

[video]https://media0.giphy.com/media/yUrUb9fYz6x7a/200.gif#8-grid1[/video]

Tuscaloosa the last 2 nights

[TWEET]913189003188416512[/TWEET]
[TWEET]913187197720829952[/TWEET]

Last edited:
Advertisement
The inside story of how the FBI brought the words corruption
Miami passage, “
With Louisville and its recruits apparently secured, Gatto, Code, Dawkins and Augustine moved on to more pressing concerns -- a second plan to land a recruit they'd been simultaneously scheming. According to the FBI, they conspired to funnel approximately $150,000 to an unidentified player who was being recruited by the University of Miami. They planned to follow a similar scheme to the one used with the Louisville recruits to keep the player from signing with a school sponsored by a rival apparel company, which they claimed had offered the player $150,000, according to the complaint.

During calls that were intercepted by FBI wiretaps, Gatto asked Code if the payments could be pushed to 2018 because he wasn't sure he could make it work. "I just don't know if I can do anything in '17, that's what I'm saying," Gatto told him. Gatto then asked Code if the player being recruited by Miami might accept $100,000, which is what they paid Louisville's recruit. Code said he wasn't sure if his family would take that much less, but he'd try to reduce their offer by $25,000. Code warned Gatto if they waited until January 2018, the recruit's asking price might be $200,000.

On Aug. 19, Code informed Augustine that Adidas was willing to do what was necessary to help the Hurricanes secure the recruit, but "everything was kind of strapped for '17. So '18 puts us in a better place to have this conversation."

What you see in the espn report is why my panic level has gone down from 3 to 2 out of 10. None of the people on the wiretap are Miami coaches. Code could have made up the story that he was talking to a Miami coach just to inflate the asking price ("if you wait, it could be 200k") because he intended to skim a little off the top. The possible investigation of the involvement of a Miami coach likely stems from the wiretapped discussion between two corrupt individuals not affiliated with the program. Not a single bit of info that leads me to believe that a Miami coach is on record asking for money. Here's the thing about the FBI, if they had intended to arrest a Miami coach, they would not have slipped in a vague accusation. That just serves as tip off to destroy evidence.

Advertisement
He won't be charged, but as has been pointed out, that won't matter to the NCAA. I don't understand what the motivation is for the coach. Addidas, if they wanted to raise the profile of one of their schools, could do this all on their own. They know our recruiting targets. The coach does get any real praise if we win, or significant cash - he's an assistant. He has to keep it to himself. What, he gets the sheer joy of seeing his employer's team win, and knowing he did it all in secret?

Unless he didn't - meaning someone else in the admin was involved, or a booster was funneling him money. Which ****es me off even more. W T F!

He won't be charged, but as has been pointed out, that won't matter to the NCAA. I don't understand what the motivation is for the coach. Addidas, if they wanted to raise the profile of one of their schools, could do this all on their own. They know our recruiting targets. The coach does get any real praise if we win, or significant cash - he's an assistant. He has to keep it to himself. What, he gets the sheer joy of seeing his employer's team win, and knowing he did it all in secret?

Unless he didn't - meaning someone else in the admin was involved, or a booster was funneling him money. Which ****es me off even more. W T F!

You're basically just making stuff up, everything after "Unless..." and the saying W T F after your totally made up conjecture.

I mean if you're going to make shīt up, make it interesting, make it big.

The ncaa couldn't find its *** with both hands. The last time the NCAA tried to take a sledgehammer to the program, this happened:
giphy (3).jpg

On top of that, I am pretty sure the NCAA does not want to dig too deeply because the whole house of cards of amateurism will come tumbling down. If this had just been Miami, I'd be nervous. Since this basically now involves every single conference and big name programs, the ncaa will try to make it go away as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
Advertisement

You're basically just making stuff up, everything after "Unless..." and the saying W T F after your totally made up conjecture.

I mean if you're going to make shīt up, make it interesting, make it big.

Um, yeah. You are 100% correct. It's conjecture. What did you think, I was part of the investigation or something?

But you tell me, what would the motivation for such a coach be.

Well since my last post in this thread ER's around the country are completely full now of CIS posters who have shown up complaining of ankle and knee pain following their jumping to conclusions in the BB matter concerning Miami.

But a couple of the 3-4 lawyers that I knew were on this site have brought some common sense to the board so I'm hoping that after reading their very knowledgeable post I'm hoping that this will put an end or at least marginally slow down all these injuries.

Sorry for the stupid question: does this investigation involve (or potentially involve) the football program???

Thanks in advance!

The ncaa couldn't find its *** with both hands. The last time the NCAA tried to take a sledgehammer to the program, this happened:
View attachment 50536

On top of that, I am pretty sure the NCAA does not want to dig too deeply because the whole house of cards of amateurism will come tumbling down. If this had just been Miami, I'd be nervous. Since this basically now involves every single conference and big name programs, the ncaa will try to make it go away as quickly as possible.

This is the feds. The NCAA has no say in any of this.

Advertisement
Back