OT: Bob Stoops retiring from Oklahoma

Stoops a bum.

Yeah, he is. He's a consistent winner and has won a NC. We never hear of him taking the low road in recruiting. He disciplines his players when they get in trouble (which is rare). He's respected by those in the industry/they speak highly of him. He is a good family man off the field.

We should be so lucky to retain a 'bum' like that for an extended period of time.

Stoops isn't the greatest coach ever but I'd take him over plenty of the coaches that CIS thinks are fantastic. Such as Mark Richt and Butch Davis.

I think Stoops is as good of a coach as any in CFB except Saban, Meyer, Swiney and maybe Jimbo.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I live in Oklahoma City so here's my input. Both of his sons are going to be seniors in high school and they both play for one of the better programs here in the state at Norman North. Drake (the better of the two) already has a couple offers from the likes of Ark. State, WKU, and Ohio while Isaac has a couple offers from some smaller DII schools. This retirement in my opinion is a chance for him to not only finally enjoy being a father from the stands, but also to enjoy being a father in the recruitment process as well, because these two will definitely be taking visits at some point. So I think this is what he meant when he said he "wants to go live life".

Now I know there have been many coaches before that have continued coaching while their sons/daughters have went on to play college sports, but this is based off of what I know/have heard around the city here.

Stoops a bum.

Yeah, he is. He's a consistent winner and has won a NC. We never hear of him taking the low road in recruiting. He disciplines his players when they get in trouble (which is rare). He's respected by those in the industry/they speak highly of him. He is a good family man off the field.

We should be so lucky to retain a 'bum' like that for an extended period of time.

Stoops isn't the greatest coach ever but I'd take him over plenty of the coaches that CIS thinks are fantastic. Such as Mark Richt and Butch Davis.

I think Stoops is as good of a coach as any in CFB except Saban, Meyer, Swiney and maybe Jimbo.

Over Richt but not Davis.

He is retiring because he has the same heart condition that caused his dad to have a massive heart attack and die on the field. DR told him to get rid of the stress in his life or risk ending up like his dad.

He is retiring because he has the same heart condition that caused his dad to have a massive heart attack and die on the field. DR told him to get rid of the stress in his life or risk ending up like his dad.

Wait until he finds out that his cardiologist is a huge Texas booster.

Advertisement
I wonder if he could end up going to Notre Dame if they fire Brian Kelly. Supposedly Stoops grew up a Notre Dame fan.

So they gave the permanent HC tag to offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley apparently. Rather similiar to Larry Coker's hiring where options are slim since the coach departed so late, and there is little choice but to promote an assistant. Although Coker's the only guy I'm aware of who got the permanent tag this way. Usually schools will just give somebody the interim tag when this happens (i.e. John L. Smith at Arkansas, Fickell at Ohio State.)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Two Words: Joe Mixon.

In my opinion, Bob Stoops did the right thing with Joe Mixon. The kid did not initiate contact with that woman, but Bob gave him an opportunity to keep going forward. I applaud Bob Stoops for that in this time where women have the upper hand in getting men's lives destroyed by there irresponsible Acts.

Take care Bob and be thankful you did not have to play Miami in 2000.

That 120lb girl really had the upper hand on Joe. It's a wonder he even survived the attack, prayers for his family he' s clearly the true victim. #victimmentality

That 120lb girl clearly saw that he was a large man when she hit him several times. I am not advocating hitting women. However I am not given women a free pass to put their hands on men whenever they feel like it.

You're exactly advocating hitting women. Be straight, that's what you're saying.

Actually, he isn't. When will men stop white knighting for women who merely want all the good stuff that comes with equality, but none of the responsibilities that come with it?

The entire Joe Mixon situation was a "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" deal, and I don't feel any sympathy for either party. Mixon had something to lose, and he should have realized that BEFORE he hit her. Homegirl should have realized that hitting someone who can knock you into next week just because he said something you don't like is a stupid move. Frankly, Mixon should have been suspended from the team, but not expelled, and the woman should have been brought up on assault charges.

So they gave the permanent HC tag to offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley apparently. Rather similiar to Larry Coker's hiring where options are slim since the coach departed so late, and there is little choice but to promote an assistant. Although Coker's the only guy I'm aware of who got the permanent tag this way. Usually schools will just give somebody the interim tag when this happens (i.e. John L. Smith at Arkansas, Fickell at Ohio State.)

Fundamental difference between Coker and Riley: Riley is a legit OC, that was a finalist for a ton of jobs elsewhere. He's a coach that everyone said was going to end up as a HC down the line. Coker was a career assistant that was on the precipice of being run out of town in 2000, especially after the U-Dub debacle.

In my opinion, Bob Stoops did the right thing with Joe Mixon. The kid did not initiate contact with that woman, but Bob gave him an opportunity to keep going forward. I applaud Bob Stoops for that in this time where women have the upper hand in getting men's lives destroyed by there irresponsible Acts.

That 120lb girl really had the upper hand on Joe. It's a wonder he even survived the attack, prayers for his family he' s clearly the true victim. #victimmentality

That 120lb girl clearly saw that he was a large man when she hit him several times. I am not advocating hitting women. However I am not given women a free pass to put their hands on men whenever they feel like it.

You're exactly advocating hitting women. Be straight, that's what you're saying.

Actually, he isn't. When will men stop white knighting for women who merely want all the good stuff that comes with equality, but none of the responsibilities that come with it?

The entire Joe Mixon situation was a "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" deal, and I don't feel any sympathy for either party. Mixon had something to lose, and he should have realized that BEFORE he hit her. Homegirl should have realized that hitting someone who can knock you into next week just because he said something you don't like is a stupid move. Frankly, Mixon should have been suspended from the team, but not expelled, and the woman should have been brought up on assault charges.

They were both guilty of assault.

Her assault on him doesn't justify his assault on her. He was not defending himself. He was reacting in anger against a much much weaker person who posed no threat. If he felt the need for retribution so strongly, he could have thrown his drink in her face instead of knocking her out cold. You do realize people have been killed by sucker punches, don't you?

... and you don't hit women who pose no threat in anger. That's just man law. And common sense.

It's either:
1. Bad health
2. Major blowup with AD/President
3. Scandal.

There are no other explanations for the timing.

His father died of a heart attack on the sidelines coaching high school ball. He didn't want to go out like, so he moves on to the Jimmy Johnson phase of kicking back and enjoying things with his family. Kinda makes sense if you figure he gets to move out of Oklahoma for good into the new house he just bought in Chicago.

The owner of the Eire Pub in Boston, a loyal ND alumnus, who knows and went to school with the older Golics, said, if he does coach, it will be Notre Dame, which isn't too far from Chicago.

1. What does an ND guy in Boston have to do with Stoops?
2. What do the Golics have to do with Stoops?
3. Bob Stoops actually wanted the Iowa job but they didn't offer as they still wanted to talk to Ferentz. So he accepted the offer he already had from Oklahoma. If that sounds bizarre, do some research about the Stoops boys, the Hayden Frye coaching tree, and the role of Iowa in Bob's life (and his wife's).
4. I know people close to the Stoops family and I've never heard anything Notre Dame about Bob. I would have to guess he had the chance to talk to them as they replaced four head coaches while he was at Oklahoma.

Advertisement
3. Bob Stoops actually wanted the Iowa job but they didn't offer as they still wanted to talk to Ferentz. So he accepted the offer he already had from Oklahoma. If that sounds bizarre, do some research about the Stoops boys, the Hayden Frye coaching tree, and the role of Iowa in Bob's life (and his wife's).
4. I know people close to the Stoops family and I've never heard anything Notre Dame about Bob. I would have to guess he had the chance to talk to them as they replaced four head coaches while he was at Oklahoma.

I apologize, I didn't realize you needed to be spoon fed context. The guy is a major supporter and booster of ND and knows the Golics and others. As you would have seen above, at least one other poster had the same thought. It was his opinion based on prior discussions.

It's either:
1. Bad health
2. Major blowup with AD/President
3. Scandal.

There are no other explanations for the timing.

His father died of a heart attack on the sidelines coaching high school ball. He didn't want to go out like, so he moves on to the Jimmy Johnson phase of kicking back and enjoying things with his family. Kinda makes sense if you figure he gets to move out of Oklahoma for good into the new house he just bought in Chicago.

Good for him. No need to work until you keel over and die. He made a fat roll and had a lot of success. Far as I perceive, he mostly did it the right way as well.

enjoy the good life...

I apologize, I didn't realize you needed to be spoon fed context. The guy is a major supporter and booster of ND and knows the Golics and others. As you would have seen above, at least one other poster had the same thought. It was his opinion based on prior discussions.

Ah, so you actually know nothing. Got it. Thanks for the input. If you have real content about a major coaching position, please spoonfeed us all.

How many "I know a connected guy" insiders do we have on this site now?

Last edited:
Advertisement

They were both guilty of assault.

Her assault on him doesn't justify his assault on her. He was not defending himself. He was reacting in anger against a much much weaker person who posed no threat. If he felt the need for retribution so strongly, he could have thrown his drink in her face instead of knocking her out cold. You do realize people have been killed by sucker punches, don't you?

... and you don't hit women who pose no threat in anger. That's just man law. And common sense.

No, man law is that you don't do stupid stuff. Women don't get to run around hitting people, just because they were born with vaginas. Had it been a small dude that threw hands at Mixon, would you be standing up for him? What's the **** difference. Remember, women want to be seen as equals, so that means I expect you to behave like an adult. Personally, I wouldn't hit a woman, because there is no upside to doing so, even when they throw first. That said, every guy isn't going to process a situation like me, and women need to understand that. I wouldn't run up to Shaq and throw punches at him, just because he says crap I disagree with, and a woman shouldn't go and run up to a man, who is significant bigger, and stronger, just because her feelings were hurt. You run the risk of the guy coming back and decking you, all because you want to write checks your *** can't cash. As I said before, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Truth!!

I wonder if he could end up going to Notre Dame if they fire Brian Kelly. Supposedly Stoops grew up a Notre Dame fan.

What coach wouldn't want to coach ND? Cane fans hate the Irish but it is still a great job at a top program.

What coach wouldn't want to coach ND? Cane fans hate the Irish but it is still a great job at a top program.

An established coach that could win easier at Oklahoma is one that wouldn't want to coach in Indiana. The Notre Dame delusion is second only to SEC delusion when talking about potential coaches that'd go to those places.

Advertisement
Back