OT: Bob Stoops retiring from Oklahoma

[TWEET]872534545353940993[/TWEET]
[TWEET]872535701400690688[/TWEET]

Advertisement
Advertisement
Riley's rope will be pretty short...Too big of a job for them to not want to do a full search if they have a chance.

We knew Bob was diagnosed with a heart condition a month ago that caused him to consider doing this, although he had told us previously that he wanted to go for another couple of years.

Joe C was likely told a few weeks ago and focused on Lincoln Riley and we assume Brent Venables, with Riley being the best choice due to his age and the fact that he was already on the staff and there would be almost no interruption.

As most of us know, Bob's father died at what I believe was 54, while coaching a game at Cardinal Mooney. I talked to Mike about it and obviously it impacted the entire psyche of Mike, Bob and their two brothers, (Ron and Mark), as it related to taking care of themselves and going into coaching. . I believe that Bob simply choose health and we all wish him the best.

Last edited:
Count me in as thinking this might be health related. Big Game Bob was ultimately a choker but I'll always respect him for sticking it to the $EC when others were afraid. Who do they go after now? Bring Venables back? Ol' Chip? Norman is kinda weird in that it's a huge job but I doubt you're convincing any NFL guy to go there.

Lincoln Riley isn't interim, he is the guy moving forward.

Of course if he goes 7-5 they'll can his *** REAL quick and bring in Chip Kelly.

Saw that. It's too late to go after anyone anyway but my question was referring to after this year because Riley isn't technically an interim.....but he kinda is- barring major success this year.

Let the speculation begin, on who, what, why, and how?

Gotta be some kind of scandal.

I say he shagged a student.

I know I'm supposed to hate Oklahoma, but I always liked Stoops. Favorite moment was when he talked the ish about the SEC not being so special, then proceeded to put a whooping on the almight Bama with his back up QB in a Bowl game.

Advertisement
Stoops a bum.

Yeah, he is. He's a consistent winner and has won a NC. We never hear of him taking the low road in recruiting. He disciplines his players when they get in trouble (which is rare). He's respected by those in the industry/they speak highly of him. He is a good family man off the field.

We should be so lucky to retain a 'bum' like that for an extended period of time.

How privileged some peoples are. 33 and now head coach. Some will coach many years and never be more than a position coach go figure.

I know! Institutional bias!

maxresdefault.jpg

Advertisement

How privileged some peoples are. 33 and now head coach. Some will coach many years and never be more than a position coach go figure.

I know! Institutional bias!

View attachment 45908

Coach Kool is the real-life Bill Brasky

Kool & Brasky could run a 2 man d-line.....and still lead the nation in sacks.

[TWEET]872531094989553664[/TWEET]

Timing tells me it has nothing to do with grooming. They could have done this after the season or after they inked their recruiting class.
I agree, just a couple months from Fall camp is actually the worst time to introduce a supposed groomed candidate for the next HC.

Probably a Big XII style scandal getting ready to hit the fan & he getting out of town right before the sh*t storm, Pete Carroll style.

Advertisement
Always liked Stoops. I kind of got the feeling if this is not health related he may be back in the coaching ranks soon like maybe 2-3 years from now.

[TWEET]872531094989553664[/TWEET]

Timing tells me it has nothing to do with grooming. They could have done this after the season or after they inked their recruiting class.
I agree, just a couple months from Fall camp is actually the worst time to introduce a supposed groomed candidate for the next HC.

Probably a Big XII style scandal getting ready to hit the fan & he getting out of town right before the sh*t storm, Pete Carroll style.

Either that, or a cute little coed, Urban Liar style.

It's either:
1. Bad health
2. Major blowup with AD/President
3. Scandal.

There are no other explanations for the timing.

His father died of a heart attack on the sidelines coaching high school ball. He didn't want to go out like, so he moves on to the Jimmy Johnson phase of kicking back and enjoying things with his family. Kinda makes sense if you figure he gets to move out of Oklahoma for good into the new house he just bought in Chicago.

It's either:
1. Bad health
2. Major blowup with AD/President
3. Scandal.

There are no other explanations for the timing.

His father died of a heart attack on the sidelines coaching high school ball. He didn't want to go out like, so he moves on to the Jimmy Johnson phase of kicking back and enjoying things with his family. Kinda makes sense if you figure he gets to move out of Oklahoma for good into the new house he just bought in Chicago.

Exactly. Or 4. the explanation he gave.

We could make a laundry list of reasons why he left.Fact is nobody really know but him and those close around him.

Advertisement
Back