OT: Anyone seen what's happening at Oklahoma?

SAE's are. For the most part, the spoiled sons of 1%ers. Hated them at Miami. Hate them anywhere.

My SAE chapter has ONE kid out of 40 who is "rich"...the rest of us are blue collar, hard working kids. I joined a fraternity because of the brotherhood and the lifelong relationships that are formed. Stop making assumptions about something you no nothing about

It's not making assumptions to say that SAE chapters across the country have had a recent history of racist (or racially-motivated, at least) incidents. At some point, your national org has to kinda look at itself and address something. They did a good job of publicly condemning the OU situation, but reports are swirling about the same type of chant (and the same type of racist ethos) being the norm at chapters in Texas and other states.

Advertisement
I invite anyone who thinks this was blatant racism to spend a month in Utah. (although I admit this was a classic example of blatant racism) This kind of thing happens weekly here on all campus'.

Really? All campuses huh? Lol. So you have visited all campuses in the USA? Cheers to you.

ANYWAY, I am just glad this came to light. These southern/Midwestern schools TRY SO HARD to keep these racist in there cage and most schools do a good job. (A guy like Saban, who basically runs the state of ALA, makes sure those bigots don't even cross the tracks im sure. Probably has snipers on the roof in case any of them have any ideas about pulling some **** like this.)

But its hard when the beaver peeks his head out from under the ground every so often. I love it though. Show this new generation of minority athletes how those SEC/Big 12 clowns really feel about you once football season is over. Not saying they are all "closest racists" but its enough of them.

You do know that there is a difference between Utah and the USA. One is a state. The other is a country.

You off your meds?

SAE's are. For the most part, the spoiled sons of 1%ers. Hated them at Miami. Hate them anywhere.

My SAE chapter has ONE kid out of 40 who is "rich"...the rest of us are blue collar, hard working kids. I joined a fraternity because of the brotherhood and the lifelong relationships that are formed. Stop making assumptions about something you no nothing about

It's not making assumptions to say that SAE chapters across the country have had a recent history of racist (or racially-motivated, at least) incidents. At some point, your national org has to kinda look at itself and address something. They did a good job of publicly condemning the OU situation, but reports are swirling about the same type of chant (and the same type of racist ethos) being the norm at chapters in Texas and other states.

We have over 300 chapters nation wide...so of course there are going to be a couple bad apples. Every national fraternity has its issues and problems, it just so happens that mine has been in the news lately. Three or four incidents in three or four chapters does not speak for the other 296 chapters or so across the country.

Two of the ring leaders have now been expelled.

OP, let this serve as warning. The predecent has been set. Cool it on the signs or you will face expulsion.

We have over 300 chapters nation wide...so of course there are going to be a couple bad apples. Every national fraternity has its issues and problems, it just so happens that mine has been in the news lately. Three or four incidents in three or four chapters does not speak for the other 296 chapters or so across the country.

Ah, the old "couple of bad apples" routine. That's an awfully convenient way of sweeping it under the rug and ignoring it.

IMO, when your organization has a couple bad apples every few years who are caught doing the same **** thing, it speaks to a larger problem. Makes you wonder how many times no one was around to videotape the chant or take pics of the racist party or whatever.

Advertisement

Ah, the old "couple of bad apples" routine. That's an awfully convenient way of sweeping it under the rug and ignoring it.

IMO, when your organization has a couple bad apples every few years who are caught doing the same **** thing, it speaks to a larger problem. Makes you wonder how many times no one was around to videotape the chant or take pics of the racist party or whatever.

It's not about sweeping it under the rug. You're generalizing a entire nation-wide fraternity based off the actions of 3 or 4 chapters. That itself is racist in my opinion, you're discriminating an entire organization and I find that quite disrespectful. My chapter and hundreds of others across America have zero tolerance for these awful incidents. There is not a "larger problem", what there has been is a small handful of terrible incidents that have occurred over the past couple years. If you can find and post around 10 examples over the past decade I would be impressed. For now you're just throwing stuff at a wall and hoping it sticks with no facts to back up your assumptions

It's not about sweeping it under the rug. You're generalizing a entire nation-wide fraternity based off the actions of 3 or 4 chapters. That itself is racist in my opinion, you're discriminating an entire organization and I find that quite disrespectful. My chapter and hundreds of others across America have zero tolerance for these awful incidents. There is not a "larger problem", what there has been is a small handful of terrible incidents that have occurred over the past couple years. If you can find and post around 10 examples over the past decade I would be impressed. For now you're just throwing stuff at a wall and hoping it sticks with no facts to back up your assumptions

Did you read the article I linked? I count 8 known incidents since 2000. And for the record, it looks like SAE has about 219 active chapters. So about 4% of them have had some sort of widely-reported racial incident. Sorry that doesn't quite reach the threshold that you care about. Guess it's just a couple bad apples.:dbc-head3:

Look, I'm not blaming ONLY SAE. And I'm definitely not calling for the abolishment of SAE or the abolishment of all frats. Obviously, other frats have issues too. I can think of several incidents involving KAs specifically, and others more generally.

What I'm saying is that it's a problem that all frats need to deal with. And since your frat has had several incidents over the last decade and half, it seems like maybe your national org needs to get things straight and lay down the law a bit more. If 1 out of every 25 of your chapters has had a racist incident since 2000, then somebody at National HQ isn't doing a very good job of relaying the message that this type of thing will not be tolerated. This should be pretty **** obvious to anybody, and as your frat is in the crosshairs right now, you should welcome the chance for your national org to set things right and lessen the chance that a few "bad apples" will bring shame upon you.

Last edited:
SAEs suck, and they seem to be the same everywhere IMO.

I'm personally in SAE at a college in New York and it ****es me off when people all generalize us together. We are a national fraternity but we each are different in our own way. My fraternity would never ever do something like this...we have African American brothers and are **** proud of them. So HMD
You don't understand, it's ok to generalize. Kind of like the poster in this thread making generalizations about the south. And the way idiots like that fratboy make generalizations about non-whites.

Advertisement
Here is the video of the Oklahoma SAE house mother chanting the N-Word over and over while singing along to a rap song as she is egged on by people in the background. So for her to say she never knew of any racist activities or the use of the n word around the frat house is absurd. An at her age, her Marther stewart looking self definitely should know better.

Link to Vine Video of Mom SAE
[video]https://vine.co/v/bg5KM7Fx7zJ[/video]

Last edited:
If racist singing and chanting are so evil, why are there no laws against it? Shouldn't it be defined as criminal activity, subject to jail time? To **** with freedom of speech.

If racist singing and chanting are so evil, why are there no laws against it? Shouldn't it be defined as criminal activity, subject to jail time? To **** with freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech does't mean you're free from the consequences of your speech. if you create a hostile environment or violate a code of conduct at a university, you can be reprimanded. You won't be jailed--so technically you're free to say whatever the **** you want, as long as you're man enough to accept the consequence.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We can't allow mere common people to express their base feelings. Society must protect and cleanse itself from those that would upset the accepted social norms.

Freedom of speech does't mean you're free from the consequences of your speech. if you create a hostile environment or violate a code of conduct at a university, you can be reprimanded. You won't be jailed--so technically you're free to say whatever the **** you want, as long as you're man enough to accept the consequence.

That's a great post right there....well said.

If you start screaming about bombs on an airplane I'd bet you would be jailed.

Advertisement

Yeah, you got a point there.

Exactly. Freedom of speech doesn't permit one to scream FIRE in a crowded theater, or BOMB at an airport. Isn't racist singing, chanting, whistling, or humming even worse? Anti-social behavior must be codified and punished with imprisonment, and forced reeducation.

Exactly. Freedom of speech doesn't permit one to scream FIRE in a crowded theater, or BOMB at an airport. Isn't racist singing, chanting, whistling, or humming even worse? Anti-social behavior must be codified and punished with imprisonment, and forced reeducation.

There's a difference. One is a terroristic threat which could involve great bodily harm to many people the other is a racial slur which on the surface, does no bodily harm.

You are forgetting the third line in the chant where they talked about people hanging from trees. That is a little beyond a racial slur.

Advertisement
Back