OT/ 86 Miami vs 01 Miami

Advertisement
That’s an aggressive claim. You believe that? Better than ‘95 Nebraska? Better than all the best Alabama, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan, USC lines? I don’t believe that. McKinnie was as good a college LT as you’ll ever see, but that line was more set up to pass block. It wasn’t the strongest push or pull line, and the interior wasn’t going to win battles against Jerome Brown and Dan Sileo.

’01 barely beat BC and VA tech. If Vinny doesn’t **** the bed against Penn State, this conversation would be quite different. And even with 5 INTs, it was a close game. Because the ‘86 DL was amazing, and would be much better than any DL the ‘01 team faced. ‘86 had only 1 close regular season game - Florida at Gainesville - and thumped No.1 Oklahoma In the Orange Bowl (the game wasn’t as close as the final score).

better than everyone bar none, every time portis or gore touched the ball it was an automatic 5 yards. I don't know why you said it was more geared to passing the ball as that was a run first offense.

someone else already mentioned they only gave up 3 sacks all year, they are the best o line in history.

better than everyone bar none, every time portis or gore touched the ball it was an automatic 5 yards. I don't know why you said it was more geared to passing the ball as that was a run first offense.

someone else already mentioned they only gave up 3 sacks all year, they are the best o line in history.
They were not the best OL in history. It’s a ridiculous claim, imo. Obviously context matters - who they played, what plays we called, who skill position players were. Of the whole group, only McKinnie had any notable pro career. Not that that tells you everything, but it’s a clue. McKinnie was as good an LT as you’ll see in college. Dorsey made good decisions. We had a lot of weapons. And gore’s time was mostly mop up. And you’re talking about frank gore pre injury. There have been much more talented OL than that group. Whether they were ‘better’, well, people can say what they want but just pointing to a sack stat out of context isn’t a compelling argument.

Advertisement
They were not the best OL in history. It’s a ridiculous claim, imo. Obviously context matters - who they played, what plays we called, who skill position players were. Of the whole group, only McKinnie had any notable pro career. Not that that tells you everything, but it’s a clue. McKinnie was as good an LT as you’ll see in college. Dorsey made good decisions. We had a lot of weapons. And gore’s time was mostly mop up. And you’re talking about frank gore pre injury. There have been much more talented OL than that group. Whether they were ‘better’, well, people can say what they want but just pointing to a sack stat out of context isn’t a compelling argument.

if you want to go pro level then sure, they weren't the best there but in college I've never seen better.

No one came close to dorsey, ever.

5 yards every time they handed the ball off

what more do you want? trophies? I'll take championships and 3 total sacks all year

if you want to go pro level then sure, they weren't the best there but in college I've never seen better.

No one came close to dorsey, ever.

5 yards every time they handed the ball off

what more do you want? trophies? I'll take championships and 3 total sacks all year
I have watched cfb pretty closely since ‘82. Nebraska 95 and a couple of the recent Alabama lines (‘12 and ‘20) are the best Ive seen. Wisconsin ‘11 was **** good. Alabama OL won the outland trophy and the rimington this year. McKinnie is as good as any college OT i have dver seen, maybe the best. But for overall line dominance, I think some other lines were both more talented and more physically dominant.

HOT TAKE

00 Canes > 01 Canes in a head to head matchup
You’re not lying.

If the ‘01 team had a weakness on offense it would have been the WR spot opposite Andre. No offense to Beard, Geathers, Jones, whomever, but imagine if Reggie Wayne has another year and stayed for 2001? Oh man.....

The 86-94 DLs were all better than 01. Vince was a true freshman in 01 and ended up great, but no one else compares to Jerome, Stubbs, Hawkins, Tez, Maryland, Rusty, Patrick, Sapp, Lang, Holmes. Not a slam on anyone....

He was second team AA by AP, UPI and sporting news. He got a couple first team recognitions but wasn’t a ‘consensus
You’re not lying.

If the ‘01 team had a weakness on offense it would have been the WR spot opposite Andre. No offense to Beard, Geathers, Jones, whomever, but imagine if Reggie Wayne has another year and stayed for 2001? Oh man.....

The 86-94 DLs were all better than 01. Vince was a true freshman in 01 and ended up great, but no one else compares to Jerome, Stubbs, Hawkins, Tez, Maryland, Rusty, Patrick, Sapp, Lang, Holmes. Not a slam on any
You’re not lying.

The 86-94 DLs were all better than 01. Vince was a true freshman in 01 and ended up great, but no one else compares to Jerome, Stubbs, Hawkins, Tez, Maryland, Rusty, Patrick, Sapp, Lang, Holmes. Not a slam on anyone....
You’re not lying.

Stubbs played LDE and Hawkins played RDE.

The starting cb's in 86 were Don Ellis and Tolbert Bain.. McDowell was a backup and special ace. Most remember McDowell due to his NFL career. He took over for Ellis in 87 after Ellis was hurt on that last nole td pass before the failed 2 point try.

While the 01 defense was better statistically one could nitpick the undersized starting DT's Anthony Hamlet and Eric Miller. Hamlet a former DE got it done with athleticism. The often injured Miller played his best football as SR.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back in 83 after a blowout loss to Nebraska then UCLA coach Terry Donahue said there was something different about the Nebraska ol. He wasn't talking about its greatness either. Most in the media took the comments to mean steroid use. Donahue never offered clarity. When they played again in 88 Donahue was quoted as saying he never said Nebraska used steroids. Hum !

This may have been discussed a few time before I joined this site but I have always been intrigued by this mythical matchup. Im not bright enough to go into the X's and O's of a such matchup but a couple of question do come up;

1. What Vinny would show up? The one in those OU games or the one in the bowl games.
2. Could the 01 OL contain Jerome, Stubbs and co.?

I'd love to read perspectives and detailed breakdown would be nice.
01 team shreds the 86 team only because of Vinny.

Go Canes!!!!
He was good but the talent around him made him look better than he was.
Your statement is wrong on so many levels. KD made everyone around him look better. His decision making was impeccable.
The QB position is arguably the most difficult position to play on any given team. If KD isn't running that offense. There is no National Title. Sure, he was surrounded by elite talent but if you don’t have the right person playing QB, you're doomed.
Brock Berlin is a perfect example of a QB surrounded by elite talent. As much as I like Berlin, he wasn't winning a Natty much less getting robbed of one. There wasn't a weak link on the 01 team. The only thing stopping that team from winning back to back titles was a rogue referee. So do yourself a favor and stop with the KD weak link chatter. You couldn't be further from the truth with that asinine statement.

Go Canes!!

Advertisement
Back in 83 after a blowout loss to Nebraska then UCLA coach Terry Donahue said there was something different about the Nebraska ol. He wasn't talking about its greatness either. Most in the media took the comments to mean steroid use. Donahue never offered clarity. When they played again in 88 Donahue was quoted as saying he never said Nebraska used steroids. Hum !
And yet a UM DL that was outweighed by an average of 50-60lbs individually, more than held their own.....Hmmmmm

You’re not lying.

I always think about what Dre would have done with a QB like Brees or Rogers. OMG

Advertisement
01 team shreds the 86 team only because of Vinny.

Go Canes!!!!
Your statement is wrong on so many levels. KD made everyone around him look better. His decision making was impeccable.
The QB position is arguably the most difficult position to play on any given team. If KD isn't running that offense. There is no National Title. Sure, he was surrounded by elite talent but if you don’t have the right person playing QB, you're doomed.
Brock Berlin is a perfect example of a QB surrounded by elite talent. As much as I like Berlin, he wasn't winning a Natty much less getting robbed of one. There wasn't a weak link on the 01 team. The only thing stopping that team from winning back to back titles was a rogue referee. So do yourself a favor and stop with the KD weak link chatter. You couldn't be further from the truth with that asinine statement.

Go Canes!!
He was the smartest QB UM has ever had next to Jim Kelly who by the way barely ever went to class. LOL

a lot of this game depends on which Vinny would show up. when Vinny is on he is a huge advantage over Dorsey. When he was off those 1-2 games the opposite.

a lot of this game depends on which Vinny would show up. when Vinny is on he is a huge advantage over Dorsey. When he was off those 1-2 games the opposite.
This right here.

You guys dogging Dorsey need to rethink your position. Just think about it this way: If the ‘03 team had Dorsey do they play for a national title? You know the answer.

Regular season Vinny was one of the most fun things to watch in UM history. Bowl game Vinny made me want to puke.

Advertisement
Back