OT/ 86 Miami vs 01 Miami

This thread makes it easy to spot the young Canes fans. You're clueless if you think that '86 team couldn't have beaten that '01 team, not saying they would have but they would definitely have a shot.

A team is only as good as the sum of all their parts. So while the talent advantage clearly belongs to' 01, the real match up would've been JJ versus Coker. On that alone, I'm not betting against JJ in this game.

Advertisement
QB '86-Vinny and Steve Walsh as a backup

I know you're looking at comparisons of the teams at the time, but, a bit off topic, to me, Walsh was the greatest UM QB of all time. He just won. Just seeing his name in your post brought back a great, happy flood of memories.

Advertisement
Hey remember on ESPN they did this crazy computer game on TV matching the best teams in imaginary games like an all time tournament?

Advertisement
Honestly both teams were great! But that 86 team, though they **** the bed, was as dominant a team period.
We need another run at a title! And Soon

i have been watching canes football since 76, and the 86 team had the best college defense of all time, the dline with jerome browm, derwin jones, moss, stubbs, jimmie jones, sileo was sickening. jimmie jones did not even start on our dline and was drafted by cowboys in late first round. with blades, bain, fullington, . the linebackers were very good on 86, but they were not as talented as 01, but overall the defense was suffocating and significantly better than 01 team. the 86 offense was very good, but was not the overall efficiency of 01 team. Given the 15 year gap and player size and development i would think the 01 team would beat 86 team head on, but I believe the 86 team is better if you consider the time warp. Also, people underrate that penn state team was joe paternos most talented defense ever- they had like 7 guys go the nfl and there team was all seniors and had dj dozier a great running back and experienced qb. they had only one good drive for a touchdown the whole game. the other drive started at our 5 yard line. We were clearly the better team, but the vinnie and motor scooter cost us that championship the nebraska team we beat in 01 was good, but not and elite nebraska team. they had just lost to an average Colorodo team.

i have been watching canes football since 76, and the 86 team had the best college defense of all time, the dline with jerome browm, derwin jones, moss, stubbs, jimmie jones, sileo was sickening. jimmie jones did not even start on our dline and was drafted by cowboys in late first round. with blades, bain, fullington, . the linebackers were very good on 86, but they were not as talented as 01, but overall the defense was suffocating and significantly better than 01 team. the 86 offense was very good, but was not the overall efficiency of 01 team. Given the 15 year gap and player size and development i would think the 01 team would beat 86 team head on, but I believe the 86 team is better if you consider the time warp. Also, people underrate that penn state team was joe paternos most talented defense ever- they had like 7 guys go the nfl and there team was all seniors and had dj dozier a great running back and experienced qb. they had only one good drive for a touchdown the whole game. the other drive started at our 5 yard line. We were clearly the better team, but the vinnie and motor scooter cost us that championship the nebraska team we beat in 01 was good, but not and elite nebraska team. they had just lost to an average Colorodo team.
No way is the 86 Defense the best of All time....and certainly not the best D in UM History....The 91 D was better in almost every category....the 91 Nebraska team was wayyyy better than 01 Nebraska....and the 22-0 shutout by UM was Nebraska's 1st in 70yrs....

Last edited:
Advertisement
I was a tiny guy and had to go to bed. I crawled into the living room under a chair that was one of those decorative chairs that were high in the air.

Watched the whole game there. Yelled “****!” when Vinny threw what seemed like his 10th interception.

I’ll go to my grave believing he threw that game. It was a great team, but the differences in modern football between 1986 football would be a decider. We lined our WR’s up in a 3-point stance for goodness sake.

I’ll go to my grave believing he threw that game.
giphy-downsized.gif

Advertisement
No way is the 86 Defense the best of All time....and certainly not the best D in UM History....The 91 D was better in almost every category....the 91 Nebraska team was wayyyy better than 01 Nebraska....and the 22-0 shutout by UM was Nebraska's 1st in 70yrs....
While the 91 defense was better statistically the 86 defense held a significant edge up front

Advertisement
Back