OT/ 86 Miami vs 01 Miami

Dan Stubbs versus Bryant McKinnie would be an epic matchup.
McKinnie absolutely dominated Freeney, who was quicker than Stubbs and had a better pro career.

Stubbs lined up on both sides iirc, but my guess is Butch would have lined him up away from McKinnie in that matchup. Hawkins would draw the short straw.

Advertisement
McKinnie absolutely dominated Freeney, who was quicker than Stubbs and had a better pro career.

Stubbs lined up on both sides iirc, but my guess is Butch would have lined him up away from McKinnie in that matchup. Hawkins would draw the short straw.

Good stuff.

To me, this is a great thread topic. So many of these matchups would have been fascinating to watch play out.... especially if it were to happen at Greentree during a random Wednesday scrimmage. Jimmy Johnson's Wednesday scrimmages were legendary.

The Playmaker & Brian Blades versus Rumph & P-Buch. Discuss! :)-

Good stuff.

To me, this is a great thread topic. So many of these matchups would have been fascinating to watch play out.... especially if it were to happen at Greentree during a random Wednesday scrimmage. Jimmy Johnson's Wednesday scrimmages were legendary.

The Playmaker & Brian Blades versus Rumph & P-Buch. Discuss! :)-
Don’t forget Perriman, and Roberts! No college can handle a HOF WR plus 2 other top NFL pick WRs( 2d round for blades and perriman).

Irvin would have eaten, or one of the other guys would have had a career day.

I continue to think the critical match-ups would be vinny vs ed reed, and how good the ‘01 DL would do. If ‘86 could run the ball, ‘86 wins. Ain’t no way ‘01 would be running on the ‘86 front 7. And that’s a problem because ’01 didn’t have the wr depth. Bennie blades and bubba mcdowell can manage andre (not shut him down). The third key match-up someone mentioned would be shockey vs. ‘86 Lbs.

Advertisement
Talent wise I have 01 as goat. But sorry: not overall as a team. Not with Coker running the team. Put JJ on 01 and that is clearly the goat team. The guy that helped destroy our dynasty cannot be the head coach on the greatest team of all time.

No one could block that '01 front. Our '86 OL was good, but not that good, and undersized compared to '01 across the board. The '01 DL would eat them alive, and that would be the difference.

Advertisement
Talent wise I have 01 as goat. But sorry: not overall as a team. Not with Coker running the team. Put JJ on 01 and that is clearly the goat team. The guy that helped destroy our dynasty cannot be the head coach on the greatest team of all time.
Coker was fine running a TEAM, he just couldn't run a PROGRAM. Big difference.. He was a fine coach for the '01 team.

That’s an aggressive claim. You believe that? Better than ‘95 Nebraska? Better than all the best Alabama, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan, USC lines? I don’t believe that. McKinnie was as good a college LT as you’ll ever see, but that line was more set up to pass block. It wasn’t the strongest push or pull line, and the interior wasn’t going to win battles against Jerome Brown and Dan Sileo.

’01 barely beat BC and VA tech. If Vinny doesn’t **** the bed against Penn State, this conversation would be quite different. And even with 5 INTs, it was a close game. Because the ‘86 DL was amazing, and would be much better than any DL the ‘01 team faced. ‘86 had only 1 close regular season game - Florida at Gainesville - and thumped No.1 Oklahoma In the Orange Bowl (the game wasn’t as close as the final score).
83 Nebraska has the most Decorated OL in NCAA History.....and thats without Remington who left the yr before....

83 Nebraska has the most Decorated OL in NCAA History.....and thats without Remington who left the yr before....
Alabama had 3 guys who were AP first team All Americans on it’s 2012 OL (2 in ‘12, 1 in ‘13). NB ‘83 had one AP 1st team AA and one guy who made it in ‘84. Not the only way to measure, just noting.

Advertisement
Alabama had 3 guys who were AP first team All Americans on it’s 2012 OL (2 in ‘12, 1 in ‘13). NB ‘83 had one AP 1st team AA and one guy who made it in ‘84. Not the only way to measure, just noting.
That still isn't Nebraska 83....and 82 might have been better with Rimington...who's name is on the Award....Tony Fitzpatrick is a close friend of mine, and says you can't imagine what it was like going up against them...

Great discussion, guys.

If ‘86 doesn’t lose to Penn State (still makes no sense to this day), then I would definitely pick that squad to beat ‘01. But they did, so I can’t.

So many things are even across the board, as has been pointed out. I’ve always thought ‘86 was the greatest team to not win a title. And, unlike ‘02, they didn’t get robbed. They got Vinny’d.

One thing worth pointing out is that ‘01 was more of a run-to-set-up-the-pass with play action offense, while ‘86 came across more like a pass first offense.

Advertisement
1991 team would beat both of them.
not sure but from that team:
-Leon Searcy was better than Mckinnie
-Daryl Williams was an absolute stud just behind ST, Reed and Blades here. He was really good.
-Ryan McNeil is still the best cb we have ever had
-best lb trio we ever had
-most underrated Rb (McGuire) we ever had. Was a beast without injuries.
-not the best but the most fun Wr corps we ever had

not sure but from that team:
-Leon Searcy was better than Mckinnie
-Daryl Williams was an absolute stud just behind ST, Reed and Blades here. He was really good.
-Ryan McNeil is still the best cb we have ever had
-best lb trio we ever had
-most underrated Rb (McGuire) we ever had. Was a beast without injuries.
-not the best but the most fun Wr corps we ever had
Best Defense (Statistically) in UM History....Absolutely Relentless...

Advertisement
Back