OT/ 86 Miami vs 01 Miami

Advertisement
Other than Oklahoma the regular season schedule in 86 was horrible. FSU and Florida both won 6 games, 6-5 and 6-4-1, respectively.

I wasn’t a fan of The Hurricanes or CFB in ‘86; became a fan a yr later at the tender age of 5 yrs old. Yet somehow, the ‘86 season consumed me & still bothers me. I have my theories which I’ve already discussed & have talked to some reputable old heads on here about ‘86, so Imma just lay dead dogs lie.

However, w/ that being said, I don’t think it’s fair to compare 86 to 01 for the simple fact 86 was thee most talented team in CFB, like by far, and **** the bed against an inferior opponent. Statistically, it was a beat down; but by score board means, it was a L. Compare that to the ‘01 team who was by far thee most talented team in CFB, and had to call off the dogs from destroying an inferior opponent. One team choked, the other didn’t. It would’ve been a better comparison had both teams dominated. But u can’t compare a champion to an almost champion. The better debate would be ‘86 v. ‘88 (although 88 should’ve been champions, too had it not been for the **** refs),

Man, we were “this” close to winning 4 titles in a row. Smh.

Look... If anyone says 86 over 01 Miami is essentially saying that 01 Miami has no claim to GOAT status.

Advertisement
No. If that was the case, why didn't the talent in 99 make Kenny Kelly look good? That talent needs a QB that can get them the ball first before they can make a play to "make the QB look better."
Who is talking about Kenny Kelly, no one has said he was better.
But of all the 01 players Dorsey wouldn't make any top ten list of more talented.
He was the QB so he was important since that's the most important position.
But you can put plenty of QBs on that team and all would do just as good.
Is the same as Gino Torretta who won a Heisman but wasnt the best player on the team.

Who is talking about Kenny Kelly, no one has said he was better.
But of all the 01 players Dorsey wouldn't make any top ten list of more talented.
He was the QB so he was important since that's the most important position.
But you can put plenty of QBs on that team and all would do just as good.
Is the same as Gino Torretta who won a Heisman but wasnt the best player on the team.
When someone calls him the weak link, I have to say something. Then you start talking about how the talent around him made him look better than he was, when it's the QB that gets the ball to the play makers so they can make plays. I am not saying he was the best QB we have ever had, but he **** sure wasn't the weak link by any stretch.

When someone calls him the weak link, I have to say something. Then you start talking about how the talent around him made him look better than he was, when it's the QB that gets the ball to the play makers so they can make plays. I am not saying he was the best QB we have ever had, but he **** sure wasn't the weak link by any stretch.

He wasnt a superstar QB for that team filled with superstars, that was my point.

Advertisement
01 wins

Offensive line is what wins games and that 01 team had the greatest offensive line in college football history.

01 would beat the dog **** out of 86 psu also

Lets face it while ESPN talks all that crap about Bama and Clemson the 86 and 01 were the best teams in all of college football. I know its up for debate but when you look at the teams compared to others especially how many pros they produced there is not much comparison.

And to @Rellyrell point the Canes may be the most ripped off team in College Football History. If it weren't for the fake fumble there is no doubt the Canes would have won three in a row. I am seriously an old fan so I remember pulling for Notre Dame (thats right hated Notre Dame) to beat Penn State that year and for you old timers Notre Dame had PSU on the ropes in the final drive and a receiver dropped the winning touchdown pass in the end zone. Had PSU lost they would have had to face Jackie Sherrill's Texas A&M and they really would have had no shot.

I knew the Canes were not going to win against PSU I only watched the first half and said I knew they were going to lose. PSU had nothing to lose I mean nothing they had a good team a really good defense but a vanilla offense that could barely score, but they were barely winning to stay undefeated. There were about two other teams actually better than them. But much as I couldn't stand Paterno he was good for coaching a big game.

And like Irvin said the U was overconfident and Jimmy didn't check them, he got caught up in the us against the world and really wanted to embarrass PSU which is why he almost refused to go to the running game which would have bowled PSU over. But PSU distracted them and so did the rest of the country which is why they pulled out the camouflage which ****ed off hypocritical America. And it seemed like everybody that was't a Cane fan north of Palm Beach **** near, was pulling against the Canes.

Speaking of back to back championships yall realize that if the computers had not robbed the U in 2000 and that redneck had not robbed the U in 2002 they would have been the first team to win three championships in a row twice.

Lets face it while ESPN talks all that crap about Bama and Clemson the 86 and 01 were the best teams in all of college football. I know its up for debate but when you look at the teams compared to others especially how many pros they produced there is not much comparison.

And to @Rellyrell point the Canes may be the most ripped off team in College Football History. If it weren't for the fake fumble there is no doubt the Canes would have won three in a row. I am seriously an old fan so I remember pulling for Notre Dame (thats right hated Notre Dame) to beat Penn State that year and for you old timers Notre Dame had PSU on the ropes in the final drive and a receiver dropped the winning touchdown pass in the end zone. Had PSU lost they would have had to face Jackie Sherrill's Texas A&M and they really would have had no shot.

I knew the Canes were not going to win against PSU I only watched the first half and said I knew they were going to lose. PSU had nothing to lose I mean nothing they had a good team a really good defense but a vanilla offense that could barely score, but they were barely winning to stay undefeated. There were about two other teams actually better than them. But much as I couldn't stand Paterno he was good for coaching a big game.

And like Irvin said the U was overconfident and Jimmy didn't check them, he got caught up in the us against the world and really wanted to embarrass PSU which is why he almost refused to go to the running game which would have bowled PSU over. But PSU distracted them and so did the rest of the country which is why they pulled out the camouflage which ****ed off hypocritical America. And it seemed like everybody that was't a Cane fan north of Palm Beach **** near, was pulling against the Canes.

Speaking of back to back championships yall realize that if the computers had not robbed the U in 2000 and that redneck had not robbed the U in 2002 they would have been the first team to win three championships in a row twice.

I have serious ? marks & * on the 88, 00, and 02 seasons. I look at our trophy case and we r legitimately cheated from those 3 additional titles. Like LEGITIMATELY. The ‘00 OU Sooners may be the worst National Champions of all time. We’re missing Titles & Individual Accolades.

Advertisement
Ive seen both teams growing up and 86 team wouldn't be able to stop Dre and Shockey. Also Reed would be a nightmare for Vinny.
I disagree. blades, mcdowell ... ‘86 had great DBs and ‘01 had only Andre. ’01 needed more weapons. Contrast ‘86 had 3 nfl WRs on it, including the Playmaker. And with Jerome in the middle, Dorsey wasn’t going to have a lot of pocket to stand in. Shockey was a good weapon but 86 had really solid LBs in Mira, Moss, Shannon, Carter. I don’t see shockey and andre as enough against that D, with Jerome brown up fromt and bennie blades in back.

Reed would be tough for vinny, no disagreement. But that’s the game right there. If vinny has a good game, ‘86 wins.

Advertisement
I disagree. blades, mcdowell ... ‘86 had great DBs and ‘01 had only Andre. ’01 needed more weapons. Contrast ‘86 had 3 nfl WRs on it, including the Playmaker. And with Jerome in the middle, Dorsey wasn’t going to have a lot of pocket to stand in. Shockey was a good weapon but 86 had really solid LBs in Mira, Moss, Shannon, Carter. I don’t see shockey and andre as enough against that D, with Jerome brown up fromt and bennie blades in back.

Reed would be tough for vinny, no disagreement. But that’s the game right there. If vinny has a good game, ‘86 wins.
You might want to go back and look at how unstoppable Shockey was. But I hear Ya on the WR's because those 3 on 86 were dominant!!

01 wins

Offensive line is what wins games and that 01 team had the greatest offensive line in college football history.
That’s an aggressive claim. You believe that? Better than ‘95 Nebraska? Better than all the best Alabama, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan, USC lines? I don’t believe that. McKinnie was as good a college LT as you’ll ever see, but that line was more set up to pass block. It wasn’t the strongest push or pull line, and the interior wasn’t going to win battles against Jerome Brown and Dan Sileo.

01 wins

01 would beat the dog **** out of 86 psu also
’01 barely beat BC and VA tech. If Vinny doesn’t **** the bed against Penn State, this conversation would be quite different. And even with 5 INTs, it was a close game. Because the ‘86 DL was amazing, and would be much better than any DL the ‘01 team faced. ‘86 had only 1 close regular season game - Florida at Gainesville - and thumped No.1 Oklahoma In the Orange Bowl (the game wasn’t as close as the final score).

Advertisement
Back