OT — Cobra Kai on Netflix

We still have a free martial arts program for kids in the town I live in.

During the summer, we get more kids, during school, we get less because of other sports.

Martial arts has a problem of over saturation. Too many dojos, too few kids. Even when we're running good, we consider ourselves full at 18-20 kids.

Played a **** ton of pool in the late 90s as a teenager, drag raced a lot. Pre teens in the early 90s, Arcades and mini golf was still popular.

What my old man gripe is, I don't see kids hanging out together a lot anymore. They want to do a bunch of their socializing online.

You put them together, its all awkward for 15 mins or so because they dont know how to communicate. ****, I'll wade in on my nieces friends and make dad jokes and act crazy, and they laugh at me but they loosen up and relax.

Just seems like kids are so damned uptight nowadays. Parents putting gps chips in their kids cars.

WTF.
I don't know where you live but growing up in Fort Lauderdale we used to hang-out on A1A aka "The Strip" all night.
We sat on the beach wall, walked around, played b-ball at the beach-side courts, cruised the strip in our cars, etc.
These kids don't even do that anymore.

I remember going to the beach around noon. Hanging out all **** day, walking the strip looking at girls. Then we'd go home, freshen up and come right back at night to cruise/chill.

It was not uncommon for us...in the span of one week to...hit the beach, play pool, go out to eat, go to a dance club, go bowling and play a bunch of pick-up b-ball. We'd easily knock all of that out in a week. These kids go a whole week and barely leave the **** house.

Advertisement
Do kids even do karate anymore? Or any form or self defense?

I'm an 80's baby and I remember tons of kids wanting to do karate during my childhood. (which I'm sure had something to do with the movies)

Me and my childhood buddies were talking about this the other day, how life imitates art.
Karate is just one of the things I remember being really popular during our childhood that ultimately disappeared. I remember there being tons of karate related movies.

I feel like billiards is another one. We played a ton of pool in the 90's and early 2000's. The pool halls were packed. Now they've either closed down or downsized. Going to play pool used to be a fun social activity. Last time I went to a pool hall it was nothing like the old days. Does this younger generation not care for billiards?

I feel like rollerskating is another dead social activity.

Like WTF does this younger generation do for fun, just play on their fvckin' phones all day?

Yup, phones, tablets, game consoles, and computers are the big things.

Luckily we have a group of 5 to 8 kids on a given day that play outside, mostly at our place on any given day. The 7 year old is out all the time, but will ask if they can come in and play games. 95 pervert of the time, the answer is no, go play outside. The almost 10 year old is out most of the time and will sometimes go back to electronics. Kickball has been the late summer game of choice.

The nearly 10 year old plays every sport (baseball, soccer, football, and basketball) basically. Has football and soccer (built for football, 5'2 and 135, bigger than I was at his age) on alternating days with football games Wednesday and Saturday, soccer early Saturday morning. Busy as ****. The 7 year old, loves soccer and plays baseball. No interest in football yet, doesn't bother me as I don't feel it's a sport he has to play right away. He's big as well, go figure but balls out in soccer as he grasps the game very well. Coach on the field, always telling me the coach what kids should be doing.

Family holidays though, they're the youngest by roughly 8 and 10 years, I wasn't a father until the late 30's. Their cousins are all in their phones, it's nuts.

After watching this show, the older boy wants to try Karate or some form of it. We have a place in town a friend's kids go to, $55 a month (cheap as ****) and you can go every night. We'll give it a go this winter for sure.

Yes, pool halls have seemingly vanished and good luck finding a skating rink. Kids don't know what they missed, had so many fun times at both, skating rink in particular.

I don't know where you live but growing up in Fort Lauderdale we used to hang-out on A1A aka "The Strip" all night.
We sat on the beach wall, walked around, played b-ball at the beach-side courts, cruised the strip in our cars, etc.

I remember going to the beach around noon. Hanging out all **** day, walking the strip looking at girls. Then we'd go home, freshen up and come right back at night to cruise/chill.

It was not uncommon for us...in the span of one week to...hit the beach, play pool, go out to eat, go to a dance club, go bowling and play a bunch of pick-up b-ball. We'd easily knock all of that out in a week. These kids go a whole week and barely leave the **** house.

Cruising man, scoping chicks out, and all that. Lake Worth used to be the place, got into a few brawls as well. Friend kneecapped someone there at the park on the SW side of the bridge my last spin with a pistol and then jumped on the guy to pound some flesh. Pulled his crazy *** off and never went back. Was sure I was going to catch a charge and dreams gone. All over some chick he boned and the boyfriend was ****ed. Should've just kept his mouth shut and kept it moving, but he wasn't that type. He later became a Seal, crazy.

Karate died because of greed. Every mcdojo has contracts or pay to pass testing systems and don't care at all about a persons/child's actual development. I watched hundreds of kids quit after a failed test, and saw the same amount of parents pull their perfect angels for lack of discipline but won't shown up to any of their classes.

In the late 90s early 00s ISKA was still pretty relevant and AAU tournaments at Disney were super dope. Hard for a dojo to compete with a lcd box that keeps kids quiet. And thats what parenting is all about.

Last edited:
Advertisement

We also played hoops on ft. Lauderdale beach right on the strip. Not sure if those courts are still there. It was prime real estate.

Advertisement

I'm an 80's baby and I remember tons of kids wanting to do karate during my childhood. (which I'm sure had something to do with the movies)

Me and my childhood buddies were talking about this the other day, how life imitates art.
Karate is just one of the things I remember being really popular during our childhood that ultimately disappeared. I remember there being tons of karate related movies.

I feel like billiards is another one. We played a ton of pool in the 90's and early 2000's. The pool halls were packed. Now they've either closed down or downsized. Going to play pool used to be a fun social activity. Last time I went to a pool hall it was nothing like the old days. Does this younger generation not care for billiards?

Like WTF does this younger generation do for fun, just play on their fvckin' phones all day?
It's MMA and Jiu Jitsu now.

I just started Succession but this was next in the binge watch schedule. Glad it's being recommended here.

I didn't do karate as a kid, but we'd play football all up and down the block, all afternoon long until dark, no touch/flag, actually tackling, using every neighbor's yard as the field. The scores were always really ridiculous, like 140-105 or so. Tons of throwing the ball, running patterns, man coverage.......for our ages, I think we got quite good at being WRs, CBs and QBs. In retrospect, with all the hitting and tackling, I'm surprised no one got seriously hurt. Scrapes, falls on the sidewalk, twisted ankles, whatever, we'd get back up and keep playing. We were completely obsessed with football.

I didn't do karate as a kid, but we'd play football all up and down the block, all afternoon long until dark, no touch/flag, actually tackling, using every neighbor's yard as the field. The scores were always really ridiculous, like 140-105 or so. Tons of throwing the ball, running patterns, man coverage.......for our ages, I think we got quite good at being WRs, CBs and QBs. In retrospect, with all the hitting and tackling, I'm surprised no one got seriously hurt. Scrapes, falls on the sidewalk, twisted ankles, whatever, we'd get back up and keep playing. We were completely obsessed with football.
We either did that, or rode our bikes around with fishing poles hitting up all the lakes and canals. No sitting inside though because there was nothing to do indoors.

Advertisement
1599680247177.png

We also played hoops on ft. Lauderdale beach right on the strip. Not sure if those courts are still there. It was prime real estate.
Are you kidding me?! We hooped there almost every weekend!

I've actually seen some ridiculous ballers out there on occasion.

They're still there but they don't get packed like they used to.

Advertisement
Are you kidding me?! We hooped there almost every weekend!

I've actually seen some ridiculous ballers out there on occasion.

They're still there but they don't get packed like they used to.
Glad to hear they kept them up. We probably played each other on occasion. I played alot from 86-90.

If someone ever makes a movie of The Nevin Shapiro Story, they should get SNAKE from Karate Kid 3 to play him. Dead Ringer.

Advertisement
Back