OT — Cobra Kai on Netflix

Finished it about the same time..enjoyed it up until that Finale fight which was ridiculous.Looking forward to season 3 but I’m hoping that it’s trending toward a soap opera stops but I’m not sure how many more ways you can do this rivalry thing.

With Kreese having a more central role, it's probably just getting started.

Advertisement
Finished it about the same time..enjoyed it up until that Finale fight which was ridiculous.Looking forward to season 3 but I’m hoping that it’s trending toward a soap opera stops but I’m not sure how many more ways you can do this rivalry thing.
Put the time in the last couple episodes are worth it

Advertisement
Advertisement
I can see it going in a direction where Daniel and Johnny have to team up to stop him.

Kind of hope it does that to be honest.

Johnny was not a bad guy. Even in the original Karate Kid, the look of horror in his eyes when Kreese told him to sweep the leg told you that.

I remember when it first came out, I called my sensei (I call him The Boss), and asked him if he saw it.

He said, "Tommy, do you think I watch every martial arts thing that comes out?"

Me: "Yes Jose. Yes I do."

Jose: "....OK, yes I watched it. But you'd feel pretty silly if I said "No", wouldn't you?"

Me: "Well...I only know one guy that owns the Kung Fu TV show series, the Highlander TV show series and the movies."

Jose: "pffft...whatever..."

Advertisement
Do kids even do karate anymore? Or any form or self defense?

I'm an 80's baby and I remember tons of kids wanting to do karate during my childhood. (which I'm sure had something to do with the movies)

Me and my childhood buddies were talking about this the other day, how life imitates art.
Karate is just one of the things I remember being really popular during our childhood that ultimately disappeared. I remember there being tons of karate related movies.

I feel like billiards is another one. We played a ton of pool in the 90's and early 2000's. The pool halls were packed. Now they've either closed down or downsized. Going to play pool used to be a fun social activity. Last time I went to a pool hall it was nothing like the old days. Does this younger generation not care for billiards?

I feel like rollerskating is another dead social activity.

Like WTF does this younger generation do for fun, just play on their fvckin' phones all day?

I'm an 80's baby and I remember tons of kids wanting to do karate during my childhood. (which I'm sure had something to do with the movies)

Me and my childhood buddies were talking about this the other day, how life imitates art.
Karate is just one of the things I remember being really popular during our childhood that ultimately disappeared. I remember there being tons of karate related movies.

I feel like billiards is another one. We played a ton of pool in the 90's and early 2000's. The pool halls were packed. Now they've either closed down or downsized. Going to play pool used to be a fun social activity. Last time I went to a pool hall it was nothing like the old days. Does this younger generation not care for billiards?

Like WTF does this younger generation do for fun, just play on their fvckin' phones all day?
My 11 and 15 yr olds are both black belts. My son's favorite way to celebrate after soccer is to go to Uncle Mick's for wings and to play pool.

Also, we saw dozens of kids start martial arts and drop after a few months. It's just too much work, they get bored, parents get tired of taking them.

Advertisement
My 11 and 15 yr olds are both black belts. My son's favorite way to celebrate after soccer is to go to Uncle Mick's for wings and to play pool.

Also, we saw dozens of kids start martial arts and drop after a few months. It's just too much work, they get bored, parents get tired of taking them.
That's awesome man. Kudos to you. Love seeing parents keeping their kids active.

So what was the enrollment like in your kid's karate classes? (before the quitters)

We still have a free martial arts program for kids in the town I live in.

During the summer, we get more kids, during school, we get less because of other sports.

Martial arts has a problem of over saturation. Too many dojos, too few kids. Even when we're running good, we consider ourselves full at 18-20 kids.

Played a **** ton of pool in the late 90s as a teenager, drag raced a lot. Pre teens in the early 90s, Arcades and mini golf was still popular.

What my old man gripe is, I don't see kids hanging out together a lot anymore. They want to do a bunch of their socializing online.

You put them together, its all awkward for 15 mins or so because they dont know how to communicate. ****, I'll wade in on my nieces friends and make dad jokes and act crazy, and they laugh at me but they loosen up and relax.

Just seems like kids are so damned uptight nowadays. Parents putting gps chips in their kids cars.

WTF.

That's awesome man. Kudos to you. Love seeing parents keeping their kids active.

So what was the enrollment like in your kid's karate classes? (before the quitters)
There was always a pretty full class. They cycled in and out. He had to teach 2 classes at the same time due to skill levels and had an additional Saturday class once they got high enough to prep for black belt. They had a group of about 5 or 6 that started around the same time and got their black belts within 6 months of each other.

Advertisement
Back